Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1969 CAMARO RS LS2 Swap - Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1969 CAMARO RS LS2 Swap - Need Help!

Hello All,

Thank you for reading. I appreciate any help in advance.

Finally making the plunge to pull the small block out of my 69 camaro and replace it with a LS2 out of a GTO. Motor arrived with the t56 and I'm dying to get it in.

the project began as a thought and VERY QUICKLY became reality as I found a motor at a great price with all accessories.

I've gone online and read different threads trying to figure it all out. I have a shop who is ready to do the swap, but in order to save some money I'm doing all the leg work and research to make it an easy install (relatively speaking).

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ml#post4073808

this thread has been a great help.

ATS seems to have a good set of mounts but i want to make sure they will work with the header setup. which brings up the next question. What headers to go with?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CM...ComboContents/

this is a kit some recommended on the boards which includes the pan and all.

Does anybody have some insight on any of this?

Trying to figure it out but there are obviously MANY combinations. I'm not on a super tight budget but don't want to waste money.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Old 02-07-2012, 05:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would say the best way to avoid any issue is to use a complete kit from one Manufactor.. or from one vendor that has peiced together parts as a Kit.. as Summit has. As long as Summit has installed all of the part, it might be a timesaver to use it, althought it doesn't include any Transmission X-Member.

I am supprised that Summit didn't use the Hooker Adapter plates along with the Hooker Headers that are in their kit.

You should also note with that Milodon pan, you will need to run a remote Oil Filter. If you don't want to go with the Steel pan and remote filter, I would suggest the MAST or Holley Pan the have the oil filter in the OEM location..

Other vendors to check on would be S&P and BRP. Andy yes the ATS plate are good.

Have you read the FAQ on 1st gen F-Body.. that might help some to see who and what they are using.. it really comes down to what you want...

BC
Old 02-07-2012, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used S/P motor plates,autokraft oil pan and stainless steel headers!they all work fine together!the headers are tight on the power steering pump lines though!
Old 02-07-2012, 06:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

She sits very nice!
Hooker ceramic headers (although next time, I'll take the stainless version), Hooker motor plates, Energy Suspension poly mounts.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

sbdavis1, check your PM's.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bczee
I would say the best way to avoid any issue is to use a complete kit from one Manufactor.. or from one vendor that has peiced together parts as a Kit.. as Summit has. As long as Summit has installed all of the part, it might be a timesaver to use it, althought it doesn't include any Transmission X-Member.

I am supprised that Summit didn't use the Hooker Adapter plates along with the Hooker Headers that are in their kit.

You should also note with that Milodon pan, you will need to run a remote Oil Filter. If you don't want to go with the Steel pan and remote filter, I would suggest the MAST or Holley Pan the have the oil filter in the OEM location..

Other vendors to check on would be S&P and BRP. Andy yes the ATS plate are good.

Have you read the FAQ on 1st gen F-Body.. that might help some to see who and what they are using.. it really comes down to what you want...

BC
Thanks! PM replied will get back asap. I continued to research last night and am getting close to pulling the trigger. Does anybody know a good cam and lifters that would offer solid power and aggressive lope? I plan on sticking with basic bolt ons for now and cam while I finish paint and wheels and get the car running well before I look into blower/turbo or heads etc.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Texas speed 228r cam

Quick Reply: 1969 CAMARO RS LS2 Swap - Need Help!