Sponsored by:

Another newbie with some LS swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 12:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Another newbie with some LS swap questions

Hi everyone. I'm Jason, eastern Washington state....and I'm an LS newbie

This is what I'm working with: 1995 B4C Camaro, currently has a nicely built LT1 383 and a 4L60e trans....it's on it's way out....

These are my intentions: a 2003 LQ4, (probably) L92 heads, under .600" cam, putting a carb on its (yup, really)
Kinda just want off the shelf, somewhat mild parts for this build.
Also, a power glide....it already has a nice Moser 12 bolt in it

Now, I know I am kicking a dead horse here....but I'm really tired of reading random forums trying to obtain as much info as I can. I seem to have to piece together bits from here and there and try to use it in my world....so I figured I'd go straight to the source. There HAS to be someone that has done this exact swap before right?

So, what I have read....requirements are an LS k member to start with...by the lack of availability in stock k members in these parts, I will probably go with an aftermarket unit. And since I have to change that, the rack will need it too right? Since is is a drag race only car, I see there are k members available to use an old school manual rack (pinto style). Also, obviously, the correct trans cross member will be needed as well.

The help I guess I need, is confirming what I have already read. Is all of this accurate? Maybe I am just looking for someone who has done a similar build and can shoot me some pointers, I'm the type of guy that would rather work smarter not harder. This is my first hurdle...my second is the correct combination for the motor....I read these articles claiming 550hp with simple heads and cams....seems hard to swallow...but motivating at the same time. one step at a time tho :-)

My credentials: I've been a Chevy guy since the sun came up on the day I got my drivers license. I've been drag racing small blocks for 20 years....I'm burnt out on em. I work at a gmc dealership parts dept and sell parts for these motors all day everyday, yet from a performance standpoint I really don't know ****. So throw some ideas and advise out there, it's very much appreciated to say the least.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much work was it to get the 4l60e to work??
Old 08-30-2012, 12:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by souljaboy9768
How much work was it to get the 4l60e to work??
Uh? It just works, o.e. trans..... I'm interested in hearing advice on swapping my 6 liter an power glide into my '95 F...

Old 08-30-2012, 12:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You should be able to find a used K-Member.. I sold one for $50 a while ago.. but if you search, you should find one pretty cheap.. get the frame stand along with it.

But if it is a Drag Car only, you might want to loose the weight and go with an aftermarket one as you have stated. Check with the Sponsor on this site about getting hooked up withone.

If you can find a LQ9 instead, you would have more compression... but with a good set of heads, the right cam and a good tuner. you should be able to get 550hp at the flywheel and over 400 rwhp.. Cam and Head selection is a key thing to work harder on !

Since your at an GM Dealer. you should have an inside track to hook up with SDPC or Pace... they have staff that can work with you on the HP side of building what you need.

But, in general, your going down the right path. But I am sure your going to get much more info on the engine in the Gen III Internal section of this forum.. but as far as swapping, this section is the right one. I am sure someone will ping in on the Early Gen 4 F-Body upgrade !

BC
Old 08-30-2012, 07:30 PM
Teching In

hey thanks for the vote of confidence. I am learning so much every day...trying to learn all I can before I dive in...which is very soon...should I be one of those cool guys that posts up pics for my entire build? ;-)
Old 08-30-2012, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

This should sum it up..! LOL

Old 08-30-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I hope you don't plan on keeping the wipers. If you go carbed, you'll most likely have to cut the cowl enough that you won't have wipers anymore.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
I hope you don't plan on keeping the wipers. If you go carbed, you'll most likely have to cut the cowl enough that you won't have wipers anymore.
The wipers have already been removed....but that WAS a concern of mine.
I've not been able to find a picture of a carb'd f body of this vintage. But from the looks of it, it's gonna be tight
Old 08-31-2012, 08:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Not sure where you are located, but there is someone that is selling some parts herer is the San Francisco Bay Area, he has a K-Member. the forum is a local Northern Calif one.. maybe he will ship it.

http://www.norcal-lsx.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82452
Old 08-31-2012, 12:48 PM
Teching In

I may take your advice on the tubular K member...I might as well only do this once right?
Old 09-05-2012, 09:32 PM
Teching In

What do I do with the computer in the car after switching to the carb? Do I still need an LS computer?
Old 09-06-2012, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Why do you want to go with a carb vs. efi? Ive been down both roads with this car. Started out with carb'd 383/t56 and now to efi 5.3 turbo/t56. They both have their challenges. I kept wipers with my carb running performer rpm intake. Why not just slap on the ls3 intake and run it?
Old 09-06-2012, 11:15 AM
Teching In

I know how to tune a carb...I am evaluating costs as well...I dont have any of the injection stuff to run it...
Old 09-06-2012, 11:23 AM
Teching In

Thats the reason for this thread btw, is so I can get educated...I welcome opinions and all the help I can get
Old 09-06-2012, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Metz Motorsports
I know how to tune a carb...I am evaluating costs as well...I dont have any of the injection stuff to run it...
IMO one of the strengths of the LS motors is the ease of tuning them via computer so that you get the benefits of a well tuned race carb at WOT and still have economy tune for cruising all without every stopping to readjust in between. Add that to the superior handling of changes in atmospheric conditions, fuel quality, temp ... and for my purposes the EFI was a clear winner. However that calcualtion might be different if you have the ability to get most of that from your carb but I do not.

As to cost it is quick and easy to find LS3 intake, injectors, fuel rail et all on ebay for 300ish. That is less than the cost of just the carb intake. HPtuners has a demo version you can download and play with to see if you will feel comfortable working with the software side of the tune. It seemed very intuitive to me and I have enjoyed working with it but to each his own on this issue as well.

My personal build I have been pleased with is a LQ4 + Ls3 heads milled 0.025". I am using a 4l80e that I got with the motor which simplified the wiring and tuning. ~3k stall, 232/228 cam.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm in the planning phase of doing a LS conversion on my '97.

There's plenty of information out there. Here's a few of the bookmarks from this site that I found and am using as reference to parts needed, wiring, how-tos, etc.

Personally, I'd stay with the EFI.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...going-lq9.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...o-lt1-car.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...to-95-z28.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...swap-faqs.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...on-sticky.html
Old 09-06-2012, 04:39 PM
Teching In

That is definately helpful imformation. I really am on the fence about the carb vs efi, i was leaning toward the carb idea in fear of not knowing the efi tuning side....i've done carbs for years and believe I can tune with the best (locals haha!) however, i'm also all about the path of lease resistance. I would love to make this easy on myself, and I also fear hood clearance with a carb...and dont really wanna bother with that if there is a smarter solution....so, will the combo I have considered (in my first post) be a viable combo using efi? I am learning rapidly about what heads and cams are 'good' but are they right for what I wanna do....maybe I should be more specific on the engine build...

2003 LQ4 from an H2, 81k miles, has 317 heads on it currently.
Was planning to use the Comp Cam (cant remember grind number) but its around .573ish lift, 228/230 @.050 and like a 112 lsa....I have read that the stock rockers are good up to .600 lift...so would love to be able to use them.
Heads, I planned to buy the L92 heads, they seem like a well set of flowing heads...almost TOO good...but will they be beneficial to the cam and stock bottom end? At this point, I do not wanna tap into the short block...I am looking more for a somewhat mild set up to get my feet wet on these LS motors, and move up from there. This car will not be a street driver...at all. I plan to bracket race this car and that is it...
The powerglide will be going in the car, and I am not changing my mind haha!

sooooo, eduacate me guys...I have 20 years experince in the "building a drag car combo" but with this stuff, I might as well be a kid with his first car....the difference is, I will listen to ya and take advise with great appriciation...I want to do it right!

EDIT: I got to thinking about the carb swap....its actually gonna cost close to 2 grand to do that...wtf am I thinking?

Last edited by Metz Motorsports; 09-06-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

What are your power goals? You can still make good power with the lq4 with a slight mill on the 317 heads and ls6 intake. You will come out for far less $ than with the ls3/l92 setup. Just depends how much power you desire.

As for the cam, you should be fine with the stock rockers and some dual valve springs.

I was in the same boat as you regarding the tuning aspect a few months ago. I have just began learning hptuners and will say that it was very intimidating and overwhelming at first. But you will pick up quickly and there is a lot of good info out there. No reason to fear! If you would rather get it over with, you could also pony up the dough for a dyno tune at a reputable tuner.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:34 PM
Teching In

Not sure of my power goals....I'm so used the old sbc and their challenge to make power, in my experience there isn't a sbc out there you can mill a set of stock heads and with a decent cam make the kinda dyno numbers I see the LS motors make (or claim). So my goal? Haven't got a clue. I read that car craft article and I get blown away at the minor parts it took to make the power they claim. So, is it outta line to think 500 hp is easily attainable? I'm not a hp junkie, I'm more of a complete package kinda guy....my last build made 375 hp at the wheels and ran 10.90's in 4000' da....

I'm lookin more for ET goal I suppose....I haven't weighed this car yet, but I would think if I could get close to 500 hp from this 6 liter, 10.90 might not to far outta reach. So, is 500 hp obtainable with the 317 heads? I have considered the L92 heads cuz I work at a GM dealer and can get em a little cheaper than the average cost...but I'd the L92's or the 317's aren't what I need, then which head is the right one? I keep hearing LS3 head, guess I don't really know what that is.

I'd love to learn the EFI tuning stuff....and once I get the car turn key then bring on the tuning challenge....the help I need is the preliminary stuff....
Old 09-07-2012, 07:45 AM
On The Tree

with minor exceptions for some of the vette LS3s that supposedly have a slightly smoother casting, the L92 head is the same as the Ls3 head.

The only significant difference is the LS3 heads use hollow stem intake valves where the L92 version is solid.

Quick Reply: Another newbie with some LS swap questions