Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1985 Monte Carlo SS 6.2l (ls3) / 4l80e swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 02:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always loved the SS Monte. Ever since middle school. Can't wait to see the finished masterpiece!
Old 04-24-2014, 08:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like you are using the stock push in style transmission cooler lines for the 4l80e. Do you happen to have the part number for those two lines? I am looking to mod the factory set as well. Also, are there any clamps that hold them to the engine? By the way, nice progress. The car is coming along great.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigmandengo
It looks like you are using the stock push in style transmission cooler lines for the 4l80e. Do you happen to have the part number for those two lines? I am looking to mod the factory set as well. Also, are there any clamps that hold them to the engine? By the way, nice progress. The car is coming along great.
I'll have to look for the receipt but I said to my dad to get a 2004 2500 HD tranny cooler lines. they are not pulled into the block, just wired tied to each other. They're pretty sturdy on their own didn't really think they need it.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

I believe I found the part numbers..
Old 04-25-2014, 07:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe I found the part numbers..
Just remember to get the locking c clips to hold them in place onto the fittings as well. I will say this, these lines makes getting the starter out a big pita just a FYI...
Old 04-25-2014, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well today we buttoned up the wiring, redid the trans cooler line off the radiator and tried to fire the car up. Well got it to crank but that is it. We started to source out the problem and seems like we are close to possibly figuring it out. Well, atleast the source of the issue. We traced to the coil packs not getting spark. The main coil pack is hot with the test light when the key is on. The individual coils plug connectors, not so much. Two of the pins out of the four were hot when the key was turned on and cranking. So we double checked the plugs and hooked up a tester and the plugs weren't getting spark when car was cranking.

So it seems that the spark stops after the main coil pack connection on the driver side. We did not bother with passenger side coil pack due to time.

Any thoughts? Buddy of mine sent a wiring diagram so I guess we will look at that bowl of spaghetti and see where to go from there.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by llorracs93s10
Well today we buttoned up the wiring, redid the trans cooler line off the radiator and tried to fire the car up. Well got it to crank but that is it. We started to source out the problem and seems like we are close to possibly figuring it out. Well, atleast the source of the issue. We traced to the coil packs not getting spark. The main coil pack is hot with the test light when the key is on. The individual coils plug connectors, not so much. Two of the pins out of the four were hot when the key was turned on and cranking. So we double checked the plugs and hooked up a tester and the plugs weren't getting spark when car was cranking.

So it seems that the spark stops after the main coil pack connection on the driver side. We did not bother with passenger side coil pack due to time.

Any thoughts? Buddy of mine sent a wiring diagram so I guess we will look at that bowl of spaghetti and see where to go from there.
Did you modify your own harness or buy a harness? Has the ecm been flashed to disable vats and starter checks?
Old 04-26-2014, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you modify your own harness or buy a harness? Has the ecm been flashed to disable vats and starter checks?
Harness was modded by current performance. Vats turned off. My harness grounds aren't in the greatest mounting spots so I'm going to try new spots to get better grounds
Old 04-29-2014, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well went ahead and moved my harness grounds to spots without gaskets and still nothing.....I did get a scanner hooked up and my CEL was reading a p2138 (throttle position code). Well now I am concerned with the fact I'm getting no spark from Tue individual coil connectors down to plugs and now this.....Buddy's uncle did same swap in a vette (85miketpi) and he said according to my pictures I sent him my wires are mixed up....what else is new. This company is really testing my patience. This, the fact my o2 sensor are not right and they can't tell me which I need AND they didn't extend the MAP sensor ......I'm at a loss with these guys right now.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:54 PM
Launching!

Might I suggest BP automotive, great customer service and top notch workmanship. I bought a 24x kit for my lt1 awhile back. Brand new harness that looked like it could have been from the factory. bp-automotive.com
Old 04-29-2014, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by red_00z28
Might I suggest BP automotive, great customer service and top notch workmanship. I bought a 24x kit for my lt1 awhile back. Brand new harness that looked like it could have been from the factory. bp-automotive.com
I've already spent probably over 20 man hours alone on this harness between me, my buddy and my friends uncle modding it to work since the $$ I spent to have it done wasn't enough, I guess.....So I am in this one til I find a solution. Problem has to be found, this company has been doing good for a while and I am just unsure why mine has been a PITA to deal with. Dead lines are not great to set as I have found out with the previous two builds but this one kills me due to really really wanting it down in Ocean City for cruise week and now it seems like thats not happening for sure. Who knows, maybe by weeks end we find the solution and fix it ......but still can not figure why its getting no spark.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 04-30-2014, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll use this post to be seen not read, but fixed the few issues that I was having. We ended up switching two wires on the pedal to get the TPS code deleted, but the car still wouldnt turn over. We than checked to see if it was getting fuel, and the fuel pressure was great, so that was eliminated from the problem. Than we swapped the crank position sensor and it fired for about 1 second and cut off. Checked the scanner and it threw about 6 codes. Including in the codes was a cam position sensor issue. We found out that the cam sensor wasnt fully seated and tried again and the car FIRED! We ended up running it about 5 times every time it sounded more healthy and broken in good.

So currently we have these two codes still: p0113 and p0340

Anyways heres some videos.....

So tomorrow we plan to mount the ECM, Fuse box and the TCM. Once we do that, we will hopefully get all the ''temporary'' wiring soldered for good and clean up the engine bay for good! Got two weeks to get this thing on the road, time needs to SLOWWW down!
Old 07-06-2014, 09:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Got this thing done yet?
Old 07-06-2014, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 68BBChevelle
Got this thing done yet?
Nope. Trans is throwing a p0976 shift solenoid B circuit low code and will not shift out of first gear into anything. Rear bushings still need to be installed, been waiting for months, and an oil leak needs to be fixed. On top of that, the neutral safety rod needs to be modded to fit on the trans and I have to hide/loom some more wires.

Once all that is done, its going to Powerhaus to get the trans looked at. Thing just sitting on jacks catching dust at this point.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Been a while since the last update.....been on a down point of the build since the trans has not been working WITH me and wants to work against me....

Got to the shop today and did some work on the rear wheel tubs since I had a feeling the new wheels and tires would not fit. So first thing was I took the new rears and mounted them up with the first spacer I pulled out and seems like the 7/16th spacers would work best for the application. Not too far out of the wells but not close to the frame. After this, we took measurements of where I needed to use the cut off wheel to cut the tub that resides above the notched frame. I cut that out and rounded off some corners with the BFH and mounted the wheels to sit on the ground. She fits with the new shoes but still needs a fender lip roll for extra precautions.

As for the rest of the car, still waiting on the rearend bushings to be installed and the oil leak to be fixed. Talked to the mechanic when I was there today and he said he will get the bushings installed, oil leak fixed, and mod the neutral safety rod to fit the trans by the end of next week. End of next week is set in stone since I plan to take the car up to Powerhaus Performance to check the trans out and do some other odds and end things.

So cross your fingers for me, I hope to have some sort of a update by next Friday.

Here is what she looks like with the tires.

Name:  20140710_163710_zpsstcuemzd.jpg
Views: 1275
Size:  112.1 KB

And a video of it moving on its on...

Old 07-10-2014, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Been a while since the last update.....been on a down point of the build since the trans has not been working WITH me and wants to work against me....

Got to the shop today and did some work on the rear wheel tubs since I had a feeling the new wheels and tires would not fit. So first thing was I took the new rears and mounted them up with the first spacer I pulled out and seems like the 7/16th spacers would work best for the application. Not too far out of the wells but not close to the frame. After this, we took measurements of where I needed to use the cut off wheel to cut the tub that resides above the notched frame. I cut that out and rounded off some corners with the BFH and mounted the wheels to sit on the ground. She fits with the new shoes but still needs a fender lip roll for extra precautions.

As for the rest of the car, still waiting on the rearend bushings to be installed and the oil leak to be fixed. Talked to the mechanic when I was there today and he said he will get the bushings installed, oil leak fixed, and mod the neutral safety rod to fit the trans by the end of next week. End of next week is set in stone since I plan to take the car up to Powerhaus Performance to check the trans out and do some other odds and end things.

So cross your fingers for me, I hope to have some sort of a update by next Friday.

Here is what she looks like with the tires.

Name:  20140710_163710_zpsstcuemzd.jpg
Views: 1330
Size:  112.1 KB

And a video of it moving on its on...

Old 07-19-2014, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, had a buddy call a buddy to tow my car up to Powerhaus Performance to check out the trans issue and turns out with my luck I'm double screwed! Called the wiring harness place and had the tuner talk to him about the issues and he said to disconnect the main trans plug and see if the trans goes into reverse and surely it did not. So that told us tha the trans, internally, is bad somewhere. with the main connector plugged in, it read the same and still no reverse. Thing is, with his tuning laptop the trans was reading a error type message and I am just confused.

So now, I have a electrical and a mechanical problem with the transmission. The trans is shot and the wiring to the trans seems to be not working either.

I am not sure if it matters but I have two things I am confused on if maybe this has any reason or no reason why the trans is not working. But I have the rod that attaches to the top of the steering shaft near the firewall, that bolted down to the detent of the old 200r4.....That is not on the car currently. So now you can run through all the gears park to 1 with or without key on. Second this is, I have the PARK/NEUTRAL wire grounded, but I think I might have grounded it wrong. From what I remembered, the wiring people said to wire it directly to the cars Original neutral saftey switch and ground it to the switch. THerefore bypassing the NSS on the trans itself.

Any thoughts on those two options?

So in short, the car is at the shop waiting for my decision whether to put a new trans in, run a seperate trans controller on top of the TCM/ECM I have or try and sort through the harness and figure out the lack of life going to the transmission. All in all, a lot of money that I do not have but I need the best case route of which to go down so I am not wasting my time and the shops time. Just annoys me that the harness was paid for to work with the trans I have and not only is the trans mechanically wrong, I have some wiring issues that are not resolved....
Old 07-19-2014, 03:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Justin,

Sounds like you are frustrated and not getting good information.

Sent you a PM with my number.

I might be able to help diagnose the issue.

You will need a code scanner that shows live data but there are a couple of tests you can do to figure out the issue. Hint: You need to see if Vehicle speed is showing up on the CAN Bus.

Also need to know what model year the ECM and the TCM are.

Regards,

Last edited by Docked Wage; 07-19-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigEd_72455
There are 3 ways to learn about doing something wrong man.....

The right way, the wrong way, and the "WHAT THE **** WAS I THINKING OF WHEN I DID THAT ****!?!?!?" way.
OK, THAT is going into my signature!!

Originally Posted by llorracs93s10
So now, I have a electrical and a mechanical problem with the transmission. The trans is shot and the wiring to the trans seems to be not working either.

So in short, the car is at the shop waiting for my decision whether to put a new trans in, run a seperate trans controller on top of the TCM/ECM I have or try and sort through the harness and figure out the lack of life going to the transmission. All in all, a lot of money that I do not have but I need the best case route of which to go down so I am not wasting my time and the shops time. Just annoys me that the harness was paid for to work with the trans I have and not only is the trans mechanically wrong, I have some wiring issues that are not resolved....
Man, I hate to read about your project "bouncing off the guardrail" like that - but it's sure not anything that I haven't experienced with my own project... I don't know if it'll make you feel better, but maybe sit back, take a minute to take a GOOD look at the car, and realize how CLOSE you are to being able to drive & enjoy the Monte SS you've been dreaming of for so long!! (Hell, MY car is virtually a BARE SHELL! No drivetrain, steering column, radiator, interior, etc!)

You've gotten it this far, & it's a gorgeous, sexy BEAST. I'll bet dollars to donuts you'll get past this speed bump & be driving it this summer before the weather gets cold again...

Quick Reply: 1985 Monte Carlo SS 6.2l (ls3) / 4l80e swap