Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UK four door saloon LQ4

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 06:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UK four door saloon LQ4

Hi there, thought I should post a build thread.
I picked up an MOT failure carlton GSI for 130 quid, I pulled the motor transmision and whole interior then cut the car up over a weekend with help from a few friends!

Old 04-14-2013, 06:44 PM
Staging Lane

This little lot was collected by some local mobile scrap metal collectors

It then took me a couple years to get to this stage

you can see how much room I have to work in - see the shell in the garage I had to lay the tubes out cut them with the notcher and tack them together in all inside the shell inside the garage!
Old 04-14-2013, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

I then had the chassis welded at http://www.robinson-race-cars.co.uk/
as I had never welded anything up till starting this and didn't fancy falling thru the floor whilst driving along!

I also (once I had paid off the credit card) got some front lower arms and four link tubes

Old 04-14-2013, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

Megasquirt II

I had up till this point intended to use a 357 SBC but after reading an article in RPM magazine I was corrupted by the idea of an LS and after reading the Car Craft articles and turbo'd truck motors in particular
So I got this from http://www.lsxp.net/

Last edited by JJMclure; 04-14-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

I pulled one of the heads the other night on a day off which has a been a rarity lately and was pleasantly surprised

That's the cars front wing on one side of the engine and the garage wall on the other! Tight!

I also had a front plate from http://www.aeicnc.com/ arrive last week so maybe at some point I can get the engine mounted in the chassis!
Old 04-14-2013, 07:13 PM
Staging Lane

Got a nine inch casing for the back end too

Old 04-15-2013, 01:09 AM
On The Tree

You building a thundersaloon looking great
Old 08-22-2014, 10:37 AM
Staging Lane

I cleaned up the heads and put new seals in
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
am now trying to find time to get the engine mounted
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-22-2014, 10:40 AM
Staging Lane

the missus got me a scram speed engine lift plate for fathers day, maybe she wants it finished after all!
Old 08-22-2014, 10:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Damn! Nice work!
Old 08-22-2014, 04:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by krwyellowZ28
Damn! Nice work!
thank you. taking me enough time!
Old 08-22-2014, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've gotta give you BIG props for tackling a project like that, given the small space you have to work with... You're either insanely determined - or perhaps just insane...

Good luck with this build, I'm going to be keeping an eye on this one. I'm betting that it's going to turn out great!
Old 08-25-2014, 05:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by V8Rumble
I've gotta give you BIG props for tackling a project like that, given the small space you have to work with... You're either insanely determined - or perhaps just insane...

Good luck with this build, I'm going to be keeping an eye on this one. I'm betting that it's going to turn out great!
thanks for that, not sure myself which insanity applies, I looked at the logbook the other day - I've had this car for 10 years!!
Old 08-25-2014, 07:05 AM
Staging Lane

might see about getting some v bands for the exhaust manifolds
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-25-2014, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm bit intrigued by this build, so I looked up 'Carlton GSI' (because of course we don't see those stateside). I'm guessing that your car originally looked something like this??

I also found that there's a little bit of information about the car http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vauxhall_Carlton. It's definitely helpful that the car started as a RWD platform. What are your plans?? Are you going to make it obvious that a V-8's been swapped in, or are you going to try to keep it relatively low-key?? Heck, you might not even get past MoT with the swap (not sure what's involved with that inspection), so perhaps it's going to be a track-only toy... That "jungle gym" of bars shown in your 2nd post shows that it won't be an entirely-convincing sleeper... (If you are able to drive it on the street though, & if you keep the exhaust note pretty low-key, I'd bet that you'd be able to really surprise those who perhaps aren't looking too closely...)

Good luck with the build!!

Last edited by V8Rumble; 08-25-2014 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Questions
Old 08-25-2014, 04:31 PM
Teching In

Didnt the lotus edition do 175mph in the early 90s? I think it was based on the Cadillac Catera platform?

http://automobile.wikia.com/wiki/Lotus_Carlton

It was faster than the corvette of the same era, so people probably won't be surprised if its fast.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by V8Rumble
I'm bit intrigued by this build, so I looked up 'Carlton GSI' (because of course we don't see those stateside). I'm guessing that your car originally looked something like this??

I also found that there's a little bit of information about the car http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vauxhall_Carlton. It's definitely helpful that the car started as a RWD platform. What are your plans?? Are you going to make it obvious that a V-8's been swapped in, or are you going to try to keep it relatively low-key?? Heck, you might not even get past MoT with the swap (not sure what's involved with that inspection), so perhaps it's going to be a track-only toy... That "jungle gym" of bars shown in your 2nd post shows that it won't be an entirely-convincing sleeper... (If you are able to drive it on the street though, & if you keep the exhaust note pretty low-key, I'd bet that you'd be able to really surprise those who perhaps aren't looking too closely...)

Good luck with the build!!
yes that is the facelifted one but yes essentially the same. plan is like you say try and keep it as discreet as possible, these cars are like rocking horse **** these days so most people wont know what one is. as for the mot test i am a licensed tester so i am building it so it should pass all the necessary requirements :-)
Old 08-26-2014, 08:38 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by socorob
Didnt the lotus edition do 175mph in the early 90s? I think it was based on the Cadillac Catera platform?

http://automobile.wikia.com/wiki/Lotus_Carlton

It was faster than the corvette of the same era, so people probably won't be surprised if its fast.
yes the lotus was a fast car in its day- the police wanted to ban it ha ha although they were all imperial green and had a more aggressive bodykit

Last edited by JJMclure; 08-26-2014 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:35 AM
Teching In

Looking at it it's based on a VN Commodore from Australia. Although reading Wikipedia I'm not really sure who came first. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_...2.80.931991.29 awesome looking build by the way!
Old 08-28-2014, 04:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jono1982
Looking at it it's based on a VN Commodore from Australia. Although reading Wikipedia I'm not really sure who came first. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_...2.80.931991.29 awesome looking build by the way!
Thanks! Yeah when you look at the doors on same year carltons and commodores they look exactly the same just different front and rear ends

Quick Reply: UK four door saloon LQ4