Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V12 LS1 Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 01:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad it's back as well. Don't see in-depth custom stuff like this very often.

Curious though, are you not worried about heat issues with the center cyls? One of them has no coolant ports at all. I would think that would cause some cooling problems, especially with boost.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NSSANE02
I'm glad it's back as well. Don't see in-depth custom stuff like this very often.

Curious though, are you not worried about heat issues with the center cyls? One of them has no coolant ports at all. I would think that would cause some cooling problems, especially with boost.
The coolant around the cylinder is exactly the same as it was stock. All that is missing is the coolant ports in the top of the deck. A flanged sleeve was inserted, which is why it looks like that. Not worried about it at all.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by V12Baker
The coolant around the cylinder is exactly the same as it was stock. All that is missing is the coolant ports in the top of the deck. A flanged sleeve was inserted, which is why it looks like that. Not worried about it at all.
I guess I'm still a little confused. What about the head? If I'm understanding you right, the cylinder that appears to have no cooling ports actually has the ports under the solid surface, is that right? If so, how is the coolant circulated in those ports? And how is the head cooled for that cylinder?

Please don't take any of this negatively, yours is actually one on the most interesting LS related projects I've ever seen. I'm just trying to better understand how it's going to work.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

ETA until running? deadlines are key to any project atmo
Old 03-22-2015, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can hardly believe its back!
Old 03-23-2015, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NSSANE02
I guess I'm still a little confused. What about the head? If I'm understanding you right, the cylinder that appears to have no cooling ports actually has the ports under the solid surface, is that right? If so, how is the coolant circulated in those ports? And how is the head cooled for that cylinder?

Please don't take any of this negatively, yours is actually one on the most interesting LS related projects I've ever seen. I'm just trying to better understand how it's going to work.

If you look at the stock headgasket, it'll be a little easier to see. The amount of water that actually flows through the deck is very minuscule. The water's main path is down the block, up through the head, and back the other way. There are small holes in the headgasket that allow for steam to escape. We considered replicating the original shape in, but it would essentially be cosmetic at that point and we'd much rather keep that area where the weld is as strong as possible. We're planning on drilling holes to match the headgaskets, but other than that, it seems really unnecessary to us. Thank you for the question!

Originally Posted by truckdoug
ETA until running? deadlines are key to any project atmo
Due to the custom nature of the job, we're not exactly sure. Ideally we'd have it running next weekend, but there's more to do. Fab work to the intake manifold, and then its onto the Fuel/Spark systems. I'll be much better at updating the progress as we go, however!
Old 03-24-2015, 06:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This build is mind blowing. Building and welding is just one task. Making it all work is a big milestone.
Mentioning head gaskets. What did you do for the head gaskets? Does someone make custom gaskets?
Old 03-24-2015, 11:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Best of luck upon initial startup!
Old 03-26-2015, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by the450r
This build is mind blowing. Building and welding is just one task. Making it all work is a big milestone.
Mentioning head gaskets. What did you do for the head gaskets? Does someone make custom gaskets?
We ended up splicing two together. We don't think it will be an issue, but if it is we'll have to do some more searching and find somebody to custom make some. I can post a picture of them on the head if that's something that interests people!
Old 03-27-2015, 08:23 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

I can post a picture of them on the head if that's something that interests people!
Yes, please! Very interesting.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

V12 LS1 Build-1.jpg
V12 LS1 Build-2.jpg
V12 LS1 Build-3.jpg
V12 LS1 Build-4.jpg
V12 LS1 Build-5.jpg
V12 LS1 Build-6.jpg
V12 LS1 Build-7.jpg
V12 LS1 Build-8.jpg
V12 LS1 Build-9.jpg
V12 LS1 Build-10.jpg

The intake manifold is almost complete. We added extra bolts that ties the manifold to the block and to the heads. The bolts you see aren't the ones we're planning to use, we will counter sink them into the plate. We obviously still have to cut the hole for the blower.

The headgaskets were cut in the middle, as shown in the pictures. They are exactly what we were looking for, size wise, after the cut. We kept all the fur on the edges, which should help mesh them together when torqued up. When cutting, we used a table saw and put the stainless ring on the top so no tears occurred.

We're considering looking for a good crankshaft builder. If that interests you, feel free to message me and we can talk. The crankshaft balances like a regular v8, so nothing to be afraid of. Thanks!
Old 03-27-2015, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

V12 LS1 Build-11.jpg
V12 LS1 Build-12.jpg
V12 LS1 Build-13.jpg
V12 LS1 Build-14.jpg
V12 LS1 Build-15.jpg
V12 LS1 Build-16.jpg
V12 LS1 Build-17.jpg
V12 LS1 Build-18.jpg

The manifold shifted slightly when we were welding on it, so the porting is not complete yet. We'll dress that out before final assembly.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know it is trade secrets and all but I am just really curious about how the internals go together and get fused.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:16 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

We kept all the fur on the edges, which should help mesh them together when torqued up. When cutting, we used a table saw and put the stainless ring on the top so no tears occurred.
Wow. Do you expect the gasket to seal up as-is once the heads are torqued down or will you use a little sealant around that splice?
Old 04-03-2015, 03:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wssix99
Wow. Do you expect the gasket to seal up as-is once the heads are torqued down or will you use a little sealant around that splice?
With the splice being where it is and how tight it is, we don't think it matters either way.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:10 AM
Staging Lane

just ran across this;

http://www.lsxtv.com/news/the-ls12-t...v12-ls-engine/
Old 04-11-2015, 03:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The guys name is v12 baker, and this guy in the video's last name is baker... coincidence or same guy?
Old 04-21-2015, 08:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

I may be able to find out, those guys in the Ford video are 2 miles from my house.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

If you look at the stock headgasket, it'll be a little easier to see. The amount of water that actually flows through the deck is very minuscule. The water's main path is down the block, up through the head, and back the other way. There are small holes in the headgasket that allow for steam to escape. We considered replicating the original shape in, but it would essentially be cosmetic at that point and we'd much rather keep that area where the weld is as strong as possible. We're planning on drilling holes to match the headgaskets, but other than that, it seems really unnecessary to us. Thank you for the question!
Consistent temperature from cylinder to cylinder is a BIG DEAL to OEM's. See the external coolant manifolds on BMW's M engines (S38 and S14 in particular; S54, Euro S50 and S62 additionally) and Ferrari's Dino family of V8's and V12's which are designed to achieve consistent cylinder-by-cylinder temperature through cylinder-by-cylinder coolant metering.

Be ready with an IR laser thermometer to watch head temp at each cylinder while on the dyno.
I predicT that you *WILL* have to revisit coolant circulation.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

On the first page it says this isn't their first v12 build, just the first that they are keeping, and one is in a plane (brave ****** who flies that, if its flown) so I'm sure it cools fine, unless they're all having cooling issues

Quick Reply: V12 LS1 Build