Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V12 LS1 Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 07:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would take the V4 and stick it in a classic mini cooper

with a light weight build of the mini shell, and the v4 not weighing to much and making a nice 150-200hp/tq

i think 1k lbs or less could be do-able vehicle weight

v4 with a T5 and make the car rwd, it would handle like a rail and be super light and be a monster

time for me to go to sleep because im dreaming a good one with my eyes open

im planning a 3cylinder geo metro/5speed(150lbs drivetrain) in a classic mini already(60hp/tq), should be able to do about 60-65mpg with that engine combo
Old 05-23-2013, 07:11 AM
Teching In

Default ...............

Speechless,
Subscribed,

Humm turbo V4 in a smart that should fit keeping it "stock looking"

Anoter reason I wish I won the lottery
Old 05-23-2013, 08:13 AM
Teching In

you were kicking ideas around for intake manifold, what did you guys come up with? i think something like this would be sweeeeet!!

or
Old 05-23-2013, 08:37 AM
Teching In

superbe intake.

Again my wishes of lottery come in mind
Old 05-23-2013, 08:37 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ARZ
This is just a plain old 3 liter motor in my Datsun 240 Z. I cant imagine what 8+ liters with a blower will make.

My car weighs 2505, the way I drive it, and makes 487 to the wheels.

Its a Toyota Supra Turbo motor in there.

It makes Vipers and many other production cars look silly.
You really shouldn't be screwing around on the Power Rd exit of the 202 like that...
Old 05-23-2013, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mercmad
What is a rough cost estimate for a long engine ?
I have a freind with a few Lamborghinis .One of his Miuras was burnt out many years ago and the top of the engine is basically melted . He has an idea that it would be cheaper to get it running again by adpating another V12 to the Miura trans ,which sits under the engine and has the diff under that. It all sits sideways in the car. Jag and Mercedes are out because of the size . He has a few BMW 750IL's laying about with a veiw to uing one of the engines but i think your LS 12 would be a better alternative,Push rods etc aside,the weight has to less than the BMW's ?
I know a LS1 is lighter than a BMW 4 banger .

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...st-London.html
You will strugle to get a V12 as small as the lambo unit! The BMW unit is actually quite light and small. similar in both to the LS ensgine i recon. THe V12 LS will be much too long for the Miura.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2Loose
Obviously cast iron blocks could not be cut and pieced back together like this,
It has been done a few times. A welder specializing in the repair of cast iron diesel blocks made a 700" small block V16.

http://image.superchevy.com/f/featur...v16_engine.jpg
Old 05-23-2013, 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Redbull87
I have to ask with all the attention this thread has gotten you V12Baker,has any major company reached out to further assist you in this project? I find it hard pressed that nobody has offered to get their name as part of it to promote themselves in someway.

Very nice work,I think the v4 could be quite a hit if it makes power and cost effective.Id build a civic or integra with it just to rain on the 4 banger parade lol.You have given new meaning to LSX.
We've had only one!

Originally Posted by DarthZ
If you decide you want to drop your little honey in a 240z that's already ready set up for it, let me know. B-).
Building the car itself is half the fun!

Originally Posted by onebadmonte
Just read the whole thread. Any ?s I had were already answered minus the "how much for one?" I'm pretty sure it's gonna be out of reach for me. :/ None the less I do have one comment.

Cool beans.

Can't wait to hear it run.

Oh, oh, wait, I do have one question. Was the V-12 suburban, mentioned earlier, at the 2007 SEMA show. I recall seeing a V-12 suburban at the show.
Yes

Originally Posted by Mercmad
What is a rough cost estimate for a long engine ?
I have a freind with a few Lamborghinis .One of his Miuras was burnt out many years ago and the top of the engine is basically melted . He has an idea that it would be cheaper to get it running again by adpating another V12 to the Miura trans ,which sits under the engine and has the diff under that. It all sits sideways in the car. Jag and Mercedes are out because of the size . He has a few BMW 750IL's laying about with a veiw to uing one of the engines but i think your LS 12 would be a better alternative,Push rods etc aside,the weight has to less than the BMW's ?
I know a LS1 is lighter than a BMW 4 banger .

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...st-London.html
I'm not familiar with the engine bay of a miura, I'm not sure if it would fit. Does a stock LS fit?

Originally Posted by potentialLQ4owner
you were kicking ideas around for intake manifold, what did you guys come up with? i think something like this would be sweeeeet!!

I've done something like that for a buick before. This intake manifold is for a supercharger though, so it'll be a lot more basic.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:21 PM
Staging Lane

We're definitely considering having a lottery for one! It sounds like a fun idea
Old 05-23-2013, 03:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by V12Baker
We're definitely considering having a lottery for one! It sounds like a fun idea
Of course I should get some kind of commision or a free V12 for comming up with the idea- right????
Old 05-23-2013, 04:08 PM
Teching In

SUPER COOL !!
Congrats!

Please don't forget to post some videos of it as soon as you fire it up for first time,
it will rumble like hell
Old 05-23-2013, 08:00 PM
Teching In

So, what's the name of your shop. I would love to swing by and possibly arrange for some work. My LS1 is misbehaving. If you could recommend a good dyno tune shop that would be really helpful. I moved up here recently and can't find anyone that knows a thing about the LS motor.

I already have quite a few of the Z car related kinks worked out and am glad to share. At the very least you need to hit up hybridz.org. Its a good, helpful, knowledgable, committed community similar to this one.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:17 PM
Teching In

Oh and for those of you that don't know what these cars can look like with a little help

Old 05-23-2013, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh and for those of you that don't know what these cars can look like with a little help

That's one sweet ride!
Old 05-23-2013, 10:36 PM
Staging Lane

Darth, can we see the engine bay?

Thats a sharp looking Z.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed!
Old 05-23-2013, 11:59 PM
10 Second Club

Sweet Z! I would love to see more pics of it!

BTW, OP very awesome engine build!
Old 05-24-2013, 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

So, what's the name of your shop. I would love to swing by and possibly arrange for some work. My LS1 is misbehaving. If you could recommend a good dyno tune shop that would be really helpful. I moved up here recently and can't find anyone that knows a thing about the LS motor.

I already have quite a few of the Z car related kinks worked out and am glad to share. At the very least you need to hit up hybridz.org. Its a good, helpful, knowledgable, committed community similar to this one.
Again, we don't have a shop anymore. We're just a couple of guys working out of our 3 car garage.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:13 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn, cool to see some local guys doing this stuff... I've love to hear this thing running once it's together, I bet a V12 LS1 sounds awesome.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by V12Baker
Again, we don't have a shop anymore. We're just a couple of guys working out of our 3 car garage.
That's the best way !! Noth'n but luv for the high end shops, but absolutely awesome when someone pulls it off in their garage !!

I'm in the middle of a twin LS motor build.. in my 2 car garage - not even close to the level of precision you guys are putting out.

Keep the updates coming !!

Quick Reply: V12 LS1 Build