Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker 73-87 GM truck LS swap system preview

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 03:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Default New Hooker 73-87 GM truck LS swap system preview

This is the next LS swap application that will be released by Hooker in Jan-Feb of 2015 and development is now far enough along for me to begin previewing the design geometry of the components and some of the features and benefits that will come with their installation and use.

For those considering this swap, we will have an extensive list of components available to help you put together a well engineered LS swapped square body truck that can be driven hard and also be lowered extensively without ground clearance worries.

In order to accomplish this, we have developed a matched system of components comprised of engine brackets, engine oil pan, transmission crossmember, long-tube headers and 2.5" and 3" exhaust systems.

All mentioned components install even with or above the engine crossmember and the frame of the truck, so if you are planning to bag your truck to be able to set it down in the weeds, this will come as good news to you.

The crossmember will accommodate the installation of a 4L60-4L75, 4L80/4L85E, TH350, 2004R, TH400, 700R4, T56 or T56 Magnum transmission and ensure proper bolt-in alignment of the headers to the Hooker exhaust systems in all cases. The crossmember features a dual arch design that finally eliminates the exhaust routing constraints of the stock crossmembers that have frustrated squarebody owners for years.

The exhaust systems feature a stamped X-pipe crossover and over-axle tailpipe routing specifically configured to work with stock ride height suspensions or trucks that have been lowered with common front spindle/ rear axle flip kits (4"/6" drop with no problem, 5"/7" with obviously less axle travel clearance. You can also run a spare tire or trailer hitch with either the dual out the side or dual rear exit options.

1/10/15 update: I've cleaned up this original post by removing the images of the prototyped components I posted previously. Those have been replaced with the images in post #11 below that show the pre-production samples installed on our red 1986 Chevy C10 project truck.

Last edited by Toddoky; 01-10-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That setup looks sweet! I'm on my 3rd square body and know a bunch of guys on some of my other forums that are going to be stoked when this kit comes out.

Have a few questions about the kit:
- What size primaries are the headers? I only saw collector/exhaust size..
- Will the engine mounts allow for the use of the low mount LS A/C compressor? So far that's been the biggest hang up with pretty much every other kit/mounts I've seen available so far.
- Have you checked fitment for this kit on a 4x4 square body? A lot of the other headers I've seen people using run in to clearance issues with the rear front shackle and/or the front driveline.
- Any chance these will be getting put in for CARB approval maybe with a catted y-pipe? I doubt it but it never hurts to ask lol.

Thanks for coming up with something for us square body fanatics
Old 12-17-2014, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you guys make sure a full pullout truck setup with the truck accessory drive will clear everything?

Also making sure the original early 99-01 A/C compressor that have the rear sensor will clear the engine mounts?
Old 12-17-2014, 05:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NorCalAnthony
That setup looks sweet! I'm on my 3rd square body and know a bunch of guys on some of my other forums that are going to be stoked when this kit comes out.

Have a few questions about the kit:
- What size primaries are the headers? I only saw collector/exhaust size..
- Will the engine mounts allow for the use of the low mount LS A/C compressor? So far that's been the biggest hang up with pretty much every other kit/mounts I've seen available so far.
- Have you checked fitment for this kit on a 4x4 square body? A lot of the other headers I've seen people using run in to clearance issues with the rear front shackle and/or the front driveline.
- Any chance these will be getting put in for CARB approval maybe with a catted y-pipe? I doubt it but it never hurts to ask lol.

Thanks for coming up with something for us square body fanatics
-The headers will be available with 1-3/4" or 1-7/8" primaries in painted or ceramic coated mild steel OR stainless steel.

-The engine brackets and the position of the engine obtained by using them will allow installation of the later truck A/C compressor by clearancing the stamped factory brace that the mount attaches to slightly.

-4 x 4 trucks were not accounted for in the design of these components as the compromises that needed to be made to the design of the parts (i.e. ground clearance) to fit both types of trucks were not acceptable to us. In addition to the shackles/springs/driveshaft up front, there are too many transmission/transfer case combinations that guys use to be able to produce a design that isn't full of the before mentioned compromises. In other words, you end up with components that fit every combination somewhat decent, but none of them well. We may design a 4 x 4 specific set-up in the future.

-No CARB EO exemption will be sought as it's not possible to obtain. Later model engine swaps into older vehicles must carry over all emissions equipment (read catalytic converters) from the donor vehicle to be legal for use on public highways and streets. So although the use of the engine mounts and crossmember can be used to put together a legal swap, the headers are intended for off-road (racing competition) use only and cannot be legally installed/used on a pollution controlled vehicle.

Originally Posted by sprayed99
Did you guys make sure a full pullout truck setup with the truck accessory drive will clear everything?
Also making sure the original early 99-01 A/C compressor that have the rear sensor will clear the engine mounts?
The truck accessories bolt right in with the exception of the A/C compressor, which can be installed(later style compressor only) by notching the front edge of the frame bracket that the engine mount attaches to. The fact that Holley offers affordable A/C compressors and mounting brackets negated the need to choose the engine position based on the need to clear a single component that may or may not be used in this swap. Instead, an engine position was chosen that would provide optimized vehicle geometry, performance and functionality after the swap has been completed.

Last edited by Toddoky; 12-18-2014 at 05:22 AM. Reason: incomplete answer
Old 12-17-2014, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn... No 4x4?! I've always wanted a 80-87 RCLB w/ an LS swap 4" lift and 33/35" tires.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Kansas Bu Wagon
Damn... No 4x4?! I've always wanted a 80-87 RCLB w/ an LS swap 4" lift and 33/35" tires.
That combo sounds good to me too, but it will take its own specific parts to create a well engineered package that functions well. I suspect that we'll revisit that application in the future if we get enough requests to do so.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:47 PM
Staging Lane

Looks great so far. Any pricing worked out yet? Will these components be available separately? I'll be running a blazer tank in the rear and won't need the "full" exhaust.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by stereojnky
Looks great so far. Any pricing worked out yet? Will these components be available separately? I'll be running a blazer tank in the rear and won't need the "full" exhaust.
Official pricing won't be available until the release of the components, but I can say fairly confidently that everything will be close in price to other like Hooker LS swap application components. You can check Summit's pricing on our 1st-gen Camaro or G-body swap part to get an idea. Yes, all the components will be available separately (engine brackets, transmission crossmember, oil pan, long-tube headers and exhaust systems).
Old 12-23-2014, 02:47 AM
Staging Lane

Okay well put me down for 1 7/8" stainless all the way back to the crossover.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Okay well put me down for 1 7/8" stainless all the way back to the crossover.
I may have confused you more than helped with the way I worded my answer. The engine brackets, crossmembers, headers and exhaust systems will be available separately, but the individual components within the exhaust systems won't, which means the exhaust system inlet legs and the fabricated crossover assembly will not be obtainable in that fashion. We do sell the empty stamped crossover and U-bends that you can use to build your own similar pieces.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:36 PM
TECH Junkie

I've reached a good point in the development of this swap application where I can start posting more technical information about the set-up and components that will be becoming available soon. The final fitment validation of all master parts is in process and I'll be moving on to finishing up the production welding fixtures for the headers next week. For those following along and possibly developing interest in these components, here's a couple of photos of a pre-production example of the Hooker transmission crossmember that is installed in our Holley LS swap C10 project truck. I will be making some minor changes to the CAD model before the release, but nothing that will change the overall look of the assembly as you see it here. If you have any questions about the Hooker swap parts, or our project truck, feel free to ask. I will be posting new images and technical data on a more regular basis now that this is my primary development project at the moment.

Old 01-08-2015, 05:49 PM
Staging Lane

Add one tranny crossmember to my order please!
Old 01-09-2015, 04:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Add one tranny crossmember to my order please!
Glad to have you onboard as a potential customer stereojnky...here's some more shots I took today of the final fitment check of all the components on our 1986 C10 project truck. The only thing not posted is a picture of the dual out the back tips.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:58 PM
Staging Lane

I'm already have the accessorie brackets. Is there by chance going to be an introductory discount for early adopters? Maybe a group buy?
Old 01-09-2015, 07:16 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm already have the accessorie brackets. Is there by chance going to be an introductory discount for early adopters? Maybe a group buy?
Thank you for your previous purchase of a Holley product stereojnky. Holley is an advertiser on ls1tech.com, but doesn't do any direct sales on this or any other forum as it's not part of our current business model. With that said, I've seen numerous Holley/Hooker resellers offer outstanding sale prices on the new LS swap products we've been releasing over the last 2 years. Just keep an eye out for the release of these components (I will post that info here on this thread) and start calling your favorite reseller to ask them the same question.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:36 AM
TECH Regular

Any chance this setup would work on a 67-72? The frame and front crossmember are almost identical, I am betting this setup would work, minus the pipes out the back because of the trailing arm suspension. Either way, slick work.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by operatorfailure
Any chance this setup would work on a 67-72? The frame and front crossmember are almost identical, I am betting this setup would work, minus the pipes out the back because of the trailing arm suspension. Either way, slick work.
I haven't made any attempts to validate the fitment of the parts on the 67-72 trucks, so I can't say whether or not they will fit that application at this point. Thanks for the positive words on the design effort.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:07 AM
Teching In

Boy, that truck is really clean. The Holley fuel injection system looks nice. Looks like that truck has had some suspension upgrades. Any idea of the brand of parts used?
Old 01-10-2015, 10:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by clean8485
Boy, that truck is really clean. The Holley fuel injection system looks nice. Looks like that truck has had some suspension upgrades. Any idea of the brand of parts used?
I can find out on Monday and let you know.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:03 AM
Teching In

Thanks Todd. I appeciate your help.

Quick Reply: New Hooker 73-87 GM truck LS swap system preview