Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker 1968-72 A-Body LS Swap System Preview

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 10:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by redtacoma31
Thanks. Let me know if you need anymore pictures.
No more pictures will be needed to discover the source of the discrepancy. I had a hunch as to what the problem was from the pictures you provided of the mounting feet of your crossmember and have confirmed my hunch to be correct this morning. Your crossmember was made by our supplier to pre-release specifications. The final foot/mounting hole layout was changed to match what is shown on the image on the top of the instruction sheet before the drawings were released for production. I am working with our purchasing department to resolve the issue on the production side of things and I'll work with you to get you going with what you have in a temporary fashion until revised units are available if you don't want to have to drill new holes in your frame.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
No more pictures will be needed to discover the source of the discrepancy. I had a hunch as to what the problem was from the pictures you provided of the mounting feet of your crossmember and have confirmed my hunch to be correct this morning. Your crossmember was made by our supplier to pre-release specifications. The final foot/mounting hole layout was changed to match what is shown on the image on the top of the instruction sheet before the drawings were released for production. I am working with our purchasing department to resolve the issue on the production side of things and I'll work with you to get you going with what you have in a temporary fashion until revised units are available if you don't want to have to drill new holes in your frame.
Toddoky,
I do not want to drill a hole in my frame. When will the correct version be available? I still have the box for the unit I have. I believe I ordered everything from a gentlemen named Jason there at Holley. Can I speak to him about this? Would it be best for you to speak with him then have him call me? Thanks
Old 11-28-2016, 06:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Toddoky,
I do not want to drill a hole in my frame. When will the correct version be available? I still have the box for the unit I have. I believe I ordered everything from a gentlemen named Jason there at Holley. Can I speak to him about this? Would it be best for you to speak with him then have him call me? Thanks
The standard lead time for production orders is 4 to 5 weeks from the order date, which will take place within the next couple of days. I don't know of anyone named Jason working the phones up front, but that's not hard to imagine with the amount of folks doing that work. If you want to just keep it in there as a placeholder to allow you to do other things on your project in the meantime, I will ensure that you'll be able to exchange it once the replacement becomes available.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

The standard lead time for production orders is 4 to 5 weeks from the order date, which will take place within the next couple of days.
I know this might sound crazy. But is there any way I can get the item before Christmas? Can I be placed higher on a priority list? Or maybe a dealer has the correct item?
Old 11-28-2016, 08:37 PM
TECH Junkie

I know this might sound crazy. But is there any way I can get the item before Christmas? Can I be placed higher on a priority list? Or maybe a dealer has the correct item?
The request doesn't sound crazy, but I have no realistic way of guaranteeing that you'll be able to recieve the replacement crossmember by Christmas since the ability to deliver to you is based on our supplier being on time with the the order and UPS/Fed Ex also coming through during the holidays. All other crossmembers existing in our dealer's inventories are identical to the one in your possession, so there's no solution through that channel. The only promise I can make is that I will monitor the status of the order as closely as possible and do all a can to influence an exchange for you as soon as possible.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

The request doesn't sound crazy, but I have no realistic way of guaranteeing that you'll be able to recieve the replacement crossmember by Christmas since the ability to deliver to you is based on our supplier being on time with the the order and UPS/Fed Ex also coming through during the holidays. All other crossmembers existing in our dealer's inventories are identical to the one in your possession, so there's no solution through that channel. The only promise I can make is that I will monitor the status of the order as closely as possible and do all a can to influence an exchange for you as soon as possible.
Your the bomb. Thank you Toddoky.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:10 AM
Staging Lane

Your the bomb. Thank you Toddoky.
Does Holley have any sound clips of a similar 3" stainless steel exhaust and mufflers for the Chevelles?
Old 11-29-2016, 08:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Does Holley have any sound clips of a similar 3" stainless steel exhaust and mufflers for the Chevelles?
Search the Conversions and Hybrids section of this forum for threads by user jimmyg; he has posted sound files of his LS swapped G-body that has a Hooker Blackheart 3" stainless exhaust system on it with the exact same mufflers that the Chevelle system has.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Old 11-29-2016, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Old 11-29-2016, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

For the guys that have used this kit. What shifters are you using? How did you run the shift cable? My 4L80E trans seems very close to the tunnel. I was looking at the B&M quicksilver.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:24 PM
TECH Junkie

For the guys that have used this kit. What shifters are you using? How did you run the shift cable? My 4L80E trans seems very close to the tunnel. I was looking at the B&M quicksilver.
Use of the Quicksilver shifter is quite common as it packages well in G-bodies. It's what was used to assemble the Holley Monte Carlo SS project car also.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the B&M megashifter and I can tell you that the cable is pinched tightly against the 4L65E where it comes through the floor. I don't see any opportunity to adjust it since the cable bracket (cable angle) on the shifter can't be moved. My shifter/cable was installed prior to installing the trans. I'm using the forward position brackets.
If you raise the shifter assembly (with standoffs) you may get a little more compliance in the cable
Old 11-30-2016, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Thanks for posting this. I'm running the Holley system I'm my 66 Chevelle swap. I really wanted to hear a sound clip though. It's just what I had hoped for. Sounds like it's on the quieter side, I like that.
Old 12-03-2016, 02:28 PM
Teching In

Default 6l80e

hi Todd just wondering if you or any anyone else you might know has tried the Holley mounts with a 6l80e and if it fits the tunnel and does the pan hang low. From what I can find it is the same length as 4l80 but the rear Of the casing is wider.
i should mention that the 6l80 I am considering is from a Pontiac g8

Last edited by watevadunno; 12-03-2016 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 12-03-2016, 06:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by watevadunno
hi Todd just wondering if you or any anyone else you might know has tried the Holley mounts with a 6l80e and if it fits the tunnel and does the pan hang low. From what I can find it is the same length as 4l80 but the rear Of the casing is wider.
i should mention that the 6l80 I am considering is from a Pontiac g8
The overall length of the 6L80 transmission is actually a few inches shorter than a 4L80 and the mount location is about 4" further forward as well (the 6L80 mount location is slightly further back the the mount on a 4L60-4L70). I'm fairly certain a 6L80 could be installed using the cantilevered shelf of the Hooker trans crossmember and a custom spacer block, but it will definately require extensive modifications to the tunnel to accomodate the extra height of that trans. The GTO pan will help keep the underhang of the pan to a minimum, but it will still be greater than on any other automatic.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:32 AM
Teching In

The overall length of the 6L80 transmission is actually a few inches shorter than a 4L80 and the mount location is about 4" further forward as well (the 6L80 mount location is slightly further back the the mount on a 4L60-4L70). I'm fairly certain a 6L80 could be installed using the cantilevered shelf of the Hooker trans crossmember and a custom spacer block, but it will definately require extensive modifications to the tunnel to accomodate the extra height of that trans. The GTO pan will help keep the underhang of the pan to a minimum, but it will still be greater than on any other automatic.
thanks Todd.
I'm struggling to decide what engine and trans combo to get for my swap.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:51 AM
TECH Junkie

thanks Todd.
From a fitment and ground clearance standpoint in any GM muscle car, any other GM automatic is a better choice than a 6L80 or 6L90.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

thanks Todd.
What's your budget?

Andrew
Old 12-07-2016, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

Default 408 Stroker/4l80e Swap

Installing exhaust and readying for tune and dyno
Attached Thumbnails New Hooker 1968-72 A-Body LS Swap System Preview-engine-bay.jpg   New Hooker 1968-72 A-Body LS Swap System Preview-engine-bay-4.jpg   New Hooker 1968-72 A-Body LS Swap System Preview-engine-bay-5.jpg  

Quick Reply: New Hooker 1968-72 A-Body LS Swap System Preview