Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump - External or Internal - Pros, Cons??

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 04:45 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel pump - External or Internal - Pros, Cons??

I'm buying all my parts for my LS1 retrofit into my 78 Z28 and I'm trying to figure out what is the best route to go for a street car, nothing fancy. I don't have fuel injection as it is right now, so to prepare my car COMPLETELY for EFI it's alot of work. Prepping the tank and installing an internal pump is costing me almost $600 if the figures are correct. This is from Rock Valley prepping the tank for $280 I believe, + $200 for the fuel pump, + like $60 for the vette filter + $$$ for the line and fittings.

Or is it better to sump it, and do an external ??

I don't know if an internal pump is better or not.
I want to know what some of you think and costs for this.
My car is being sent to a shop for the install and I want to do this the right way, but if it doesn't matter either way, I'd rather go the cheaper route if it's not really a major performance difference.

I mean.....my current setup is a Gen I 350 with an external pump.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Get the kit from Tanks Inc, thats what I'm doing. I currently have an external pump and i hate it! Its loud and very very annoying. The Tanks Inc kit looks like the way to go, plus its only $225 and includes a hi-flo pump.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

One con I can come up with for an internal pump is that when it goes out, you have to drop the tank just to get to it. To me, that's a pain. I'd rather go with an external as I could live with the noise.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

external- you can hear it.. easier to swap out in a failure, cheaper.
internal, quieter, less prone to failure due to overheating, but you gotta either cut a window in your floor or drop the tank if there's a problem..
Old 05-04-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One key thing to think about.. Street = Laws.. Slumping a tank for the street many not be legal in your area and having he exposes slumped line can be a safety factor for the local Law officers.. !?

If you go external, slumping the tank will be needed anyway to keep the pump from staving or you will have to keep the tank at lease about a 1/4 tank full.

So, if your taking a street car here... go internal with the Tanks Inc and the corvette filter/regulator (AC/Delco GF-822) as the cheapest route as it uses AC/Delco pumps that you can get anywhere you travel. You can also try using a tank from a donner car that will fit yours with little modifications that is already setup for EFI and Baffled. as a exsample, I put a 95 Impala tank in my 71 chevelle.

A AC/Delco (Vettes and F-body) pumps can handle up to 400+hp and if you want, use the Walbro pump for high engine output above the 400+ mark.

Yeah.. it is a bummer if they fail and you have to drop the tank. but how offen does that happen for a street rated car ?
Old 05-04-2006, 05:03 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Cheap Cheap Cheap...

I find it interesting guys state they want to do it right but they don't want to spend the money. One guy on this site got all the stuff from donar cars and made all the modifications himself with the exception of the PCM reprogram to make it work with his swap. He also did it in record time and inexpensively.

He used a tank from the same year swap vehicle that has EFI and used a Fbody intank pump for the presure. He used all the EFI and engine stuff from the donor engine car. If you want to scavenge junk yards you can find just about anything an make it work.

I personally think an intank pump is the better way to go as the fuel keeps it cool. I don't usually design or build expecting failure to happen at any moment with the fear that if I go a block from the house the car will fail, so if and when the intank pump fails I will just fix it. It should last a long time.

If you do your research up front you can come up with a plan on how to solve every issue that needs to be solved and then execute the plan. I did my homework and had a solution for every aspect of the swap and didn't have any dollar shock as I had alread learned the cost and collected all the parts first then did the swap. The only reason it took me so long was I had a hard time making time to work on the project with daily life getting in the way.

So Plan Plan Plan, learn all you can about how you are going to build the total car first then execute the plan.

Sorry, off on a tangent on this one, and I don't mean to lecture, I just wanted to give a good approach to this type of approach as it made my swap effortless.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had both, and would never run an external pump again! They are noisy, overheat easily, and tend to starve for fuel often which leads to the first 2 problems. I build cars that there is no GM EFI tanks that will fit, but I now just bite the bullet and buy a Rock Valley stainless tank when I build a car. They are a little expensive, but they are baffled well, and come ready to run with the pump installed. They work well, and are very quiet. I take my car hundreds of miles away from home, and I need a car that is reliable and can make it home without being loaded on a trailer. Some of my past cars with external pumps, could not be trusted that far from home! Also, as someone else pointed out, You really do not want to run a sumped tank on the street due to safety concerns.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 05-04-2006, 06:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jdperk-86elco
I find it interesting guys state they want to do it right but they don't want to spend the money.
Ah see, I didn't say that, you're twisting my words.
I said I want to do it right, but I'm not sure which is the better route.
IF they both performed the same I said I'd like to go the cheaper route.

Mind you I said PERFORMANCE first.

Okay, so anyone got a link for this Tanks Inc setup ??

I'm going to call Rock Valley and get a price on a SS Tank with pump ready to go. How much is a SS Tank with a pump in it already?

Originally Posted by korndawg
Get the kit from Tanks Inc, thats what I'm doing. I currently have an external pump and i hate it! Its loud and very very annoying. The Tanks Inc kit looks like the way to go, plus its only $225 and includes a hi-flo pump.
Can you give me a link or part #, I just went to their site and can't find what you're talking about. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a link to their fuel pump. It can be adapted to almost any tank that is at least 7 inches deep. It comes with the baffle tray to keep fuel around the pick up. I bought a tank from them as well, could not find one for my car, but found one of theirs that had the right dimensions and adapted it. Their tanks come already baffled and ready for the fuel pump which really makes it easy.

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...prod/prd84.htm

There are a number of people who have adapted their existing tank. Here is a link to the 67-69 Camaro FAQ showing how Schitzo did his for his 71 Camaro which should be real similar to yours:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....6&postcount=14

The thing about conversions is you can not expect to always find stuff that just bolts in, some times ya gotta make it fit. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it! LOL

Good luck with your swap

Pat
Old 05-04-2006, 08:39 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
Ah see, I didn't say that, you're twisting my words.
I said I want to do it right, but I'm not sure which is the better route.
IF they both performed the same I said I'd like to go the cheaper route.

Mind you I said PERFORMANCE first.
Sorry, I saw that you posted a lot of dollar signs and implied you wanted to find the cheapest parts.

I always find it better to not re-invent the wheel so to speak, that if someone already has the part it would be less expensive to just buy the part then try to build one yourself. Time and money ya know, how much is your time worth.

I have a walbro intank pump and it has a high pitch wine. It isn't as bad with a full tank but I can still hear it. It works great but just has the wine. I have been told that the GM Fbody pump isn't as noisy.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

definetly do not go external.......the pumps give a high pitch whine which will drive you insane.....hell there are some internal pumps which you can still hear

in general the external pump has more against it than an internal pump

The tanks inc kit I used is great for a tank deeper than what mine had....however, I know the late second gens have a different shaped tank which might actually work to your advantage

the rock valley is not a bad option considering the hassles you save yourself and the quality you get.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:50 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a '98 Camaro fuel pump/ regulator from ebay for my RX7 swap. Just grafted the pump/regulator onto the RX7 pump assy. Works fine and you can't beat the price.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:19 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The f-body pump is dead quiet, sounds like a stocker . I have also heard that the pump form a 96-98 vortec 350 suburban will also work. I had to replace one in a suburban after I did my swap and externally it looks exactly the same except that there is no second output for the venturi system like in a camaro. If I have to replace my pump ever I will try putting in a suburban pump since then I will not need to cap the second output.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:07 AM
Launching!

Thanks guys, I'm going to call Rock Valley and go that route.

I appreciate the info.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump - External or Internal - Pros, Cons??