Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting LS1/T56 swap, 1980 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 09:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting LS1/T56 swap, 1980 Corvette

Well, I'm taking the plunge. I got an engine and trans, going to drop it into my 1980 Vette. I bought the driveline from a salvage yard, it's supposed to be from a 2000 Firehawk. There's a couple things that make me wonder, though. I found information on decoding the transmission tag, and its build date is November, 1997, so I'm thinking it wasn't the original tranny in a 2000! The other wierd thing is that the exhaust manifolds don't seem to match; this isn't normal, is it?

Any suggestions on where to find information on decoding the engraving on the heads and block? I've googled, but haven't found information for the LS1 yet, but there's tons for the SBC!

Anyway, now the fun begins. I plan to keep the engine stock for now. The car is currently an automatic, so I'll have to get new clutch & brake pedals for it. I'd like to put sidepipes on it, but still retain the cats. I'm not sure if I'll find a setup that I like; I'm mainly concerned about ground clearance. And I intend to retain the A/C (can't live without that in Texas!)

Wish me luck!

Pics of the engine (mostly the engraving I want to decode) at: http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x...80%20Corvette/
Old 07-26-2007, 11:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Here is a link that pretty much sums up all of the codes. That is Def an LS6 block. looks to me like they pieced together a motor. But hey at least you got the better of the blocks.

http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ar/pg51.pdf
Old 07-26-2007, 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are those exhaust manifold the Stainless steel tube ones? They look like SS Tube ones in the picture... or are they cast? (not sure from the pict).. they only had the Cast one on 2000+ and if they are SS Tube then that would make it a 98-99 engine ???
Old 07-26-2007, 01:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jhankinson
Here is a link that pretty much sums up all of the codes. That is Def an LS6 block. looks to me like they pieced together a motor. But hey at least you got the better of the blocks.

http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ar/pg51.pdf
Good info. Thanks!

Originally Posted by bczee
Are those exhaust manifold the Stainless steel tube ones? They look like SS Tube ones in the picture... or are they cast? (not sure from the pict).. they only had the Cast one on 2000+ and if they are SS Tube then that would make it a 98-99 engine ???
Tubes. Interesting. I forgot to mention I also tracked down the numbers on the PCM, and it's a 99-2000. I'm starting to think maybe the car was a 99, something bad happened to the original engine and trans, and they replaced them with an 01 or 02 engine and a 98 trans. Or something like that. I dunno. If everything works, it doesn't matter too much, unless it's got lots of miles. I'd just like to know what I'm starting with.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:54 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Well, Ron, I'm interested in your progress with this swap. I just recently became interested in a swap like this after finding this car for sale:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/car/356630902.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1722957

My thoughts concerning your approach is why you're starting with an automatic equipped car and converting it to a manual. There are a lot of nice L48 4spd cars around that would greatly simplify the task at hand. It's not that I don't like your idea; I like shifting my own gears, too. And there's a lot to be said for autos, too. Keep us posted.

D9M

Last edited by Delta9 Mojo; 07-29-2007 at 10:03 PM.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:18 PM
12 Second Club

the valve covers should help with the year make some what .(perimeter- centerbolt)
Old 07-29-2007, 10:20 PM
12 Second Club

and also gm did away with the egr in 2001. it kind of looks like a 2000.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Delta9 Mojo
Well, Ron, I'm interested in your progress with this swap. I just recently became interested in a swap like this after finding this car for sale:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/car/356630902.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1722957
I'd seen that car advertised. Looks nice.

Originally Posted by Delta9 Mojo
My thoughts concerning your approach is why you're starting with an automatic equipped car and converting it to a manual. There are a lot of nice L48 4spd cars around that would greatly simplify the task at hand. It's not that I don't like your idea; I like shifting my own gears, too. And there's a lot to be said for autos, too. Keep us posted.

D9M
Well, I wasn't sure how serious I was about doing the swap when I bought this car. I was mainly concerned with getting a rust-free car (which I think I did; I haven't looked closely at the birdcage yet, though), with a decent interior. And, I got impatient.

I don't think the conversion is too bad, from what I've read at the corvetteforum. It sounds like the worst part is twisting yourself into position to get at the pedal assembly. Even if I'd started with a 4 speed car, I'd be converting to the hydraulic clutch setup anyway.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jomomma
the valve covers should help with the year make some what .(perimeter- centerbolt)
I wasn't aware of that; what are the year-to-year differences?
Originally Posted by jomomma
and also gm did away with the egr in 2001. it kind of looks like a 2000.
Good point, that hadn't occurred to me.

Thanks for the information!
Old 07-30-2007, 10:22 PM
12 Second Club

i believe 97-98 was perimeter bolts and 99&up is centerbolt. its got to be a 99 or 2000. your pulley arrangement is an fbody setup, but your manifolds look like vette style.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:07 PM
TECH Regular

its atleast a 99+ f body motor ls1 not ls6

97-98 had 3 wire ect
it has f body headers and mounts and pulley system
has old school egr into manifold setup as well.

OR as mentioned above someone pieced together a motor like they did my first block. i had an 00 motor with full 98 dress up. biggest pile ive owned in a while.

Quick Reply: Starting LS1/T56 swap, 1980 Corvette