Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1970 GTO Version 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 11:33 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn Andrew, you sure do haul *** on your projects. Sometimes I wonder where everyone gets there money and time!

Ben-
Old 07-16-2008, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on that!!

I was just thinking: "Back on the road in TWO WEEKS....."
Andrew must be planning a frame off resto at the rate this project has been going!
Old 07-16-2008, 11:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 929 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Being unemployed certainly helps with the time factor, not so much the money factor. LOL

My hold up will be the wheel centers. I am hoping to send them off tomorrow. I am thinking it will take 2 weeks to get them back. In the meantime I will be installing the ATS spindles, C6 Z06 brakes, and polishing the wheels.

Andrew
Old 07-17-2008, 05:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Here are the Falkens compared to the Nitto 555s. The Nitto 295/45 is about an inch bigger in diameter than the 295/40 Falken. This will translate to about a 1/2" drop in ride height, which is no big deal.

The more interesting part is that the Falkens have just over an inch more actual tread width! The advertised section width on the Falkens are stated to be about .4" wider than the Nittos. I can't wait to see how these tires work.

Andrew
Old 07-18-2008, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Andrew, when did you become unemployed, I thought you were working @ Holly Mr. Gasket??? sorry on the loss of funds,
Old 07-18-2008, 08:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Some people have asked me to elaborate more on the driveshaft issue. Here is what the driveshaft looked like when installed into the transmission:

Andrew
Hi Andrew,

Could I please ask what the clearance is between the yoke/ujoint area and the tunnel vertically?

It looks kinda close, and as I am doing a 6L90 into a Camaro, was thinking your example may provide a reference. I was going for about an inch, but yours looks as if it may be closer.

Immaculate car, and great thread too!

Cheers and thankyou!
Old 07-18-2008, 09:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by rsz288
Hi Andrew,

Could I please ask what the clearance is between the yoke/ujoint area and the tunnel vertically?

It looks kinda close, and as I am doing a 6L90 into a Camaro, was thinking your example may provide a reference. I was going for about an inch, but yours looks as if it may be closer.

Immaculate car, and great thread too!

Cheers and thankyou!
The reason that the u-joint is so close to the body is because of driveline angle alignment. As these cars are lowered, the pinion is actually higher than the output shaft of the transmission. So to get the u-joint working angles as small as possible, the back of the transmission must be raised. Some people have even cut out their transmission and driveshaft tunnel to give more room. With the Richmond transmission being fairly compact, I was able to get my working angles right by getting the tailshaft up. The u-joint is only about 1/8" away from the body.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but why in the world do you want a 6L90? First gear is in the 4.x range, is it not?

Andrew

P.S. Steve, I haven't worked at Holley since 2005. I got laid off and went back to school to finish my marketing degree. This fall I am starting an MBA program.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Congrats on the Education, Hopefully see you at RTTH, I buy you a couple of drinks, your choice! but I know what I'm drinking!
Old 07-18-2008, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Steve68
Congrats on the Education, Hopefully see you at RTTH, I buy you a couple of drinks, your choice! but I know what I'm drinking!
I will definitely be at RTTH!!! Looking forward to it

What's your poison?

Andrew
Old 07-18-2008, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

Andrew, what's your working angle?
Old 07-18-2008, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by XcYZb
Andrew, what's your working angle?
Hey Scott,

I was able to get the working angle into the 2 degree range.

Andrew
Old 07-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Amazing car.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:01 PM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year

Thanks for the detail on the 1/8" clearance. It looked something like that (there seems to be a scuff mark too, but it may be some flung off grease), but I thought it may be an illusion. How much lower than stock is it?

Heh heh heh. 6L90 (or 80). No offense taken. Its a good question. There is no compelling answer to the question! I dont know that there is any really "good" reason. Though how often do we do things in Hot Rodding that perfectly rational sense? Dont we do things that are unique and different?

Yes it does have a 4.03:1 first. Which means you can highway cruise at under 2,000 rpm, and still run 11's at the strip. There are a lot of people doing and contemplating this unique LSX conversion on a lot of cars and trucks, so there is some momentum building.

Cheers and have a great weekend!!

The reason that the u-joint is so close to the body is because of driveline angle alignment. As these cars are lowered, the pinion is actually higher than the output shaft of the transmission. So to get the u-joint working angles as small as possible, the back of the transmission must be raised. Some people have even cut out their transmission and driveshaft tunnel to give more room. With the Richmond transmission being fairly compact, I was able to get my working angles right by getting the tailshaft up. The u-joint is only about 1/8" away from the body.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but why in the world do you want a 6L90? First gear is in the 4.x range, is it not?

Andrew

P.S. Steve, I haven't worked at Holley since 2005. I got laid off and went back to school to finish my marketing degree. This fall I am starting an MBA program.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by rsz288
Thanks for the detail on the 1/8" clearance. It looked something like that (there seems to be a scuff mark too, but it may be some flung off grease), but I thought it may be an illusion. How much lower than stock is it?

Heh heh heh. 6L90 (or 80). No offense taken. Its a good question. There is no compelling answer to the question! I dont know that there is any really "good" reason. Though how often do we do things in Hot Rodding that perfectly rational sense? Dont we do things that are unique and different?

Yes it does have a 4.03:1 first. Which means you can highway cruise at under 2,000 rpm, and still run 11's at the strip. There are a lot of people doing and contemplating this unique LSX conversion on a lot of cars and trucks, so there is some momentum building.

Cheers and have a great weekend!!
I am all for doing swaps and modifications to be different, but they also have to make technical sense. The reason that GM uses such a low gear in trucks is because they are heavy and they have tall tires. A new Escalade has 265/65-18s stock. Those are 30.5 inches tall. Anyways...I won't get into it here. To me it just seems like a science project. One can use a readily available, relatively inexpensive, 4L80E that is bullet proof, proven to work, and easy to fit in the chassis.

Cheers.

Andrew
Old 07-18-2008, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Today I got my ATS spindles:

ATS did an awesome job of packaging the spindles for safe shipping. I ordered mine with some new billet steel hubs from Vansteel. These use a tapered bearing design that is more durable and I also got the optional GM Racing wheel studs. These hubs are assemblies are being used on SCCA World Challenge cars with great success.

Before taking my spindles off I wanted to test for myself the bump steer that everyone has talked about with the b-body swap. I certainly felt it on my road trip. So I got my dial indicator out and attached the base to the frame and positioned the tip against the rotor. I made sure the rotor had a couple lug nuts on it to keep it steady.

This was a very limited test because I did not take the coilover off and run the suspension through its full range of travel. However, I was able to measure the bump steer from approximately ride height through 1.5" of travel in rebound. Here are the numbers.

Ride height-------dial indicator set to zero
1/2" rebound-----.1" toe in
1" rebound-------.2" toe in
1.5" rebound-----.320" toe in

I am no suspension expert, but I am pretty sure the above numbers suck ***. Once my brakes are here, I will do the same test with the ATS spindles installed.

On a side note, since the rear end was on jack stands I wanted to see if my vibration was gone. I started the engine, ran it up in 5th gear (1:1) and at about 3200 RPM I am still getting that buzzing vibration. I messed around with the pinion angle and nothing made any difference. I finally put a dial indicator on the driveshaft at the rear to measure the run-out. I watched Terry do this on his fixture and I knew the shaft was within .002". To my surprise I saw .038" on the dial indicator. I suspect that my pinion yoke is off. This is driving me insane. Tomorrow I may try the old "hang big hose clamps on the driveshaft test."

I am open to suggestions. :/

Andrew
Old 07-18-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year

I am all for doing swaps and modifications to be different, but they also have to make technical sense. The reason that GM uses such a low gear in trucks is because they are heavy and they have tall tires. A new Escalade has 265/65-18s stock. Those are 30.5 inches tall. Anyways...I won't get into it here. To me it just seems like a science project. One can use a readily available, relatively inexpensive, 4L80E that is bullet proof, proven to work, and easy to fit in the chassis.

Cheers.

Andrew
That's a good description: part science, part art. I like it. Thankyou. Science follows the art on this

The flip side of these trans, and they initially were for trucks, is that the fastest Cadi ever built with the S/C LSA motor has a 6L90E. And the Corvette a 6L80E. So in addition to being a truck trans, they are a high performance trans too, albeit for a different point in space & time. Just like the 4L80 which initially was a truck trans. Unfortunately, down this end of the world, 6L80's do come in production cars, 4L80's dont come in anything.

Cheers
Old 07-19-2008, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

I will definitely be at RTTH!!! Looking forward to it

What's your poison?

Andrew
Howell has some clear stuff, come in a canning jar, no brand names mentioned, and some beer,

and I want a ride, you for years I've been trying to copy the GTO in the Camaro build, arent the ATS spindles a work of art!!! Can't wait for the day to do my Cascade spay!
Old 07-19-2008, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

all I can say is wow!! I'll be following this!
Old 07-20-2008, 07:54 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Added this thread to the Hall of Fame. nice work bud!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/818862-lsx-swap-faq-hall-fame-threads.html
Old 07-21-2008, 12:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Added this thread to the Hall of Fame. nice work bud!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818862
Thanks Tony. Now if I can only get this heap from vibrating....

Andrew

Quick Reply: 1970 GTO Version 2.0