View Poll Results: Coupe, Convertible, or Z06
Coupe
24.14%
Convertible
8.28%
Z06
67.59%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

First C5 vette - Coupe, Convertible or Z06 ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 08:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First C5 vette - Coupe, Convertible or Z06 ???

I am seriously looking into buying a C5 vette soon, and am pondering which one I really would like. I know a convertible is nice, but how often do you really keep the top down. The glass top coupe really appeals to me, but then there is always the Z06 hardtop.

What are your likes and dislikes about each?
Old 08-14-2006, 09:07 PM
Launching!

You can always go with a FRC. Then you still get the Hardtop minus the Z06 price tag. I'm looking for a good deal on an FRC at the moment. I just like lines better personally.

Jon
Old 08-14-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

I really love my convertible, the only down side I have come across is the track, because a convertible stock is right at the roll cage rules. 13.49 or faster the vert is supposed to have a cage.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

if you want bad *** performance and a race car feel get the Z06. even stock its flat out nasty.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all figure out why you want this car. Is it strictly for cruising? Are you going to race it? Will it be an all-out drag car?

I did not want a convertible because for track standards you need a roll cage much sooner than a coupe, and I never see any good looking roll-bars for corvettes.

I also don't like the idea of a manual top. I'm lazy. I don't want to have to get out and put it down...I like the idea of being able to put it up/down at a stop light, all by itself.

I would have loved an FRC, but people price them higher than coupes, and that put a lot of them out of my price range.

I ended up with a coupe, I'm happy with it besides the water leaks from the targa. When the top is off, cruising with it is phenomenal...yet when the color top is on, it all looks like one piece. I think its a perfect compromise.

But if I had more money, it would have been Z06 all the way.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Exactly know what you are likely to do with the car. I am not a convetable fan at all I think they are ugly with the tops up. If you are just going to cruise it on the nice weekends you never have to worry about the top being up. I did not get the Z06 solely because the roof does not come off. That and the fact that you can make a coupe car faster and handle as good or better for less money than you would spend on a Z06. I know the Z06 guys are real hardcore and will argue this but they are not really any different except for some bolted on parts. Now if you guy a C6Z06 thats a different story a completely different car. I love taking the roof off and cruising and I know the Z06 guys have to be hating on it on a real nice day. Coupe all the way!
Old 08-15-2006, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jon B.
You can always go with a FRC. Then you still get the Hardtop minus the Z06 price tag. I'm looking for a good deal on an FRC at the moment. I just like lines better personally.

Jon
+1 That is the way I went.... its like a pre z06 version of a z06, they are very nice, light , great handling and are all 6 spd, with blk interior.... which are all big pluses, for me anyway.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:40 AM
Launching!

I went back and forth on this earlier this year, I settled on the Z06. Really never considered the convertible but was going back and forth on the coupe or Z. If you're a cruiser it's going to be a tough decision, both versions are great cars. I'm not the cruising type so once I drove the Z my decision was easy, I bought it. You can go back and forth on that whole "I can mod it and make it just as good" discussion but for me it was easier just to buy the faster one to begin with. Probably will still add some go fast parts but don't feel a need to rush into it like I would have if I had bought the coupe.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not a 'vert fan. The looks has already been mentioned, but also insurance on a 'vert is more.

For me, I would have liked to have gotten a coupe. More important to me though was what was in the car and I wanted a six speed and z51 suspension. So by finding a FRC, I had those two options by default. What it really came down to though, was I found a good deal on the car, it had the options I wanted, and it was even the color I wanted
Old 08-16-2006, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

Hey I see you finally sold your formula!
Old 08-17-2006, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by keliente
Hey I see you finally sold your formula!
Yep, a guy off of LS1tech is picking it up tommorrow.......ordered an exhaust system tonight and bid on some headers
Old 08-17-2006, 12:15 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 123 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Z06

The Z06 or FRC is roughly 200 lbs. lighter than the other versions.

The 2002 and newer Z06 has 405 hp, better heads, cam, exhaust manifolds, clutch, suspension than the earlier FRC cars. I was looking at a FRC myself but settled on a clean low mileage 03 Electron blue Z06. Previous owner put on Wilwood rotors, B&B exhaust, Toyos on chrome wheels. I'm sure I'll put a larger engine together for it as time permits but I'll tell you, for Southern Ca. traffic conditions this car is pretty quick with the stock engine.

Steve

Originally Posted by erick_e
I am seriously looking into buying a C5 vette soon, and am pondering which one I really would like. I know a convertible is nice, but how often do you really keep the top down. The glass top coupe really appeals to me, but then there is always the Z06 hardtop.

What are your likes and dislikes about each?
760-630-0450
web: www.raceenginedevelopment.com/
e-mail: race-engine-development@***.net
Old 08-17-2006, 09:56 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jon B.

Jon

I agree with the above in regards to the FRC option. I myself wish I had a Vert, and yes the top would be down daily. I like the lines of the Hardtop and Vert.

If you opt for the Coupe make sure the top is fastend well every day. They have a habit of flying off.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info. I really want a car which we aren't afraid to drive. It will probably see rain and such, but will be stored during the winter months. Not much snow in TN anyways. My wife really wants an automatic, but can re-learn to drive a 6 speed, which I would prefer.

It it good to know about the removable hardtops, and the insurance premiums on the convertibles. Thanks. Fortunately, my state, and bank allow me to carry liability only insurance while the vehicle is in storage. That will save a few $$$

I have thought about the Fixed Hard Tops, and was really surprised that they blue book much cheaper, than the coupes. But, seem to be completely overpriced.

I would prefer a 2001+ LS1 or 2002+ LS6 due to the significant performance modifications.

Right now, I guess it all boils down to $$$$ If I can get a deal on a 2002+ Z06, I would love it, but would still be happy with 2001+ coupe.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am sure you will be more than happy with what ever you get. Good luck!
Old 08-19-2006, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blacked Out
Exactly know what you are likely to do with the car. I am not a convetable fan at all I think they are ugly with the tops up. If you are just going to cruise it on the nice weekends you never have to worry about the top being up. I did not get the Z06 solely because the roof does not come off. That and the fact that you can make a coupe car faster and handle as good or better for less money than you would spend on a Z06. I know the Z06 guys are real hardcore and will argue this but they are not really any different except for some bolted on parts. Now if you guy a C6Z06 thats a different story a completely different car. I love taking the roof off and cruising and I know the Z06 guys have to be hating on it on a real nice day. Coupe all the way!

Same reasons here. Love my coupe. Added Z06 sway bars and modded the engine. Thing is crazy fast. Totally sick...
Old 08-20-2006, 12:15 AM
Banned

Z06 aalll the way
Old 08-20-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Resident

Z06, but that is what I have.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:20 PM
Launching!

I've had 3 coupes one that was fully mod'd with heads/cam and misc. bolt on's. I currently have a Z06 along with my WS6 Vert. I like'd the coupe alot but I feel they are starting to get dated looking where the C5 Z06 still looks like it could be a 2007 model except for the tail end.

My coupe had about 400 rwhp Z06 sways,Z06 springs and bilstien shocks. It was fast but my 360rwhp Z06 feels slightly quicker and still handles better. The Z06 has better a overall racecar feel.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:07 PM
Teching In

Right now I am looking at a 2002 Z06 with 55000K miles, trying to get it for $24000. WISH ME LUCK....

Last edited by erick_e; 08-20-2006 at 05:42 PM.

Quick Reply: First C5 vette - Coupe, Convertible or Z06 ???