Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insulation removal for access holes for trans bolts

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 02:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Insulation removal for access holes for trans bolts

I have solid mounts on and I have some bolts I cannot get to and I'm guessing this is the easiest route instead of dropping the k member and doing a balancing act with my *** on the ground. The engine will not lean back to give you room to even see the bolts. I can't even get enough room to get the cooler lines off. So I'm hoping that someone has some pics so that I don't end up with 20 damn holes.

About how much time does it take to take out the dash and get the insulation out? I've got the console out and it just looks like a giant bitch. I see that its going to have to be cut to get around the pedal and steering column. Are there any tips for the dash removal?
Old 09-22-2009, 04:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Dash inop is a big pain in the ***.I would drop the engine and tranny before pulling the dash.But thats just me.If you do you will need a front end alighment.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:31 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Originally Posted by NHRAFORMULA00
Dash inop is a big pain in the ***.I would drop the engine and tranny before pulling the dash.But thats just me.If you do you will need a front end alighment.
you wouldnt need an alignment.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:34 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Oh, dash removal is a nightmare. +1 for dropping/pulling the engine & trans before removing the dash. If you went the dash removal route, you still have all the HVAC equipment & ducting that will more than likely be in the way. But then again that would give you the opportunity to do some gutting & lightening behind the dash.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

you dont need an alighment when droping the front sub frame? Then how do you get it back in speck? Some of the bolt holes are slotted.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:06 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Originally Posted by NHRAFORMULA00
you dont need an alighment when droping the front sub frame? Then how do you get it back in speck? Some of the bolt holes are slotted.
There are alignment pins that get it back in the same place.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm, maybe I am the odd one, but dash removal is not that big of a deal???? Had it out in about 1 1/2 hours is all. I just did this about a month or so ago on my '99...
Old 09-22-2009, 07:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Oh, dash removal is a nightmare. +1 for dropping/pulling the engine & trans before removing the dash. If you went the dash removal route, you still have all the HVAC equipment & ducting that will more than likely be in the way. But then again that would give you the opportunity to do some gutting & lightening behind the dash.
Do you have pics of the holes you made?

I had to stop on the removal because my bulb blew on my light. I got the dash unbolted, but I can't figure out where to go from there as far as all of the **** that is connected like the gauge cluster and HVAC
Old 09-22-2009, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

why don't you just loosen the motor mounts from the k member and let it sag down. when i did mine i loosened all 4 bolts on each side but left them all in. this was with Spohn solids
Old 09-22-2009, 08:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by outkast6991
why don't you just loosen the motor mounts from the k member and let it sag down. when i did mine i loosened all 4 bolts on each side but left them all in. this was with Spohn solids
I'm not really sure it would work given what I can see now. Another reason is that I can't get to the motor mounts on the driver's side due to the downpipe that runs there.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

i didn't think it would be enough either but it worked. the front bolts got backed all the way out to the end of the threads. with a turbo that might be tough
Old 09-22-2009, 08:13 PM
11 Second Club

I forgot to mention that the thin plastic piece that covers the top of the dash shattered into about 10 pieces. You gotta love that southern heat
Old 09-22-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem with spohn solid mounts... I couldn't get the trans in to save my life... I proceeded to beat the hell out of the tunnel around the back of the block to give myself some space... Now it goes in and out without a problem

It seems like the people that design these mounts forget that the stock rubber, or even aftermarket poly mounts, have some slop in them that allow the engine to sit down where it's supposed to... I'd have to say that my solid mounts put the engine at least 3/8'' higher than stock (which was a tight fit anyway).
Old 09-22-2009, 08:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ryarbrough
I had the same problem with spohn solid mounts... I couldn't get the trans in to save my life... I proceeded to beat the hell out of the tunnel around the back of the block to give myself some space... Now it goes in and out without a problem

It seems like the people that design these mounts forget that the stock rubber, or even aftermarket poly mounts, have some slop in them that allow the engine to sit down where it's supposed to... I'd have to say that my solid mounts put the engine at least 3/8'' higher than stock (which was a tight fit anyway).
If I had it out I would be able to beat the tunnel, but it's still in. I'm hoping to get this thing out tomorrow before I go to work.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by outkast6991
i didn't think it would be enough either but it worked. the front bolts got backed all the way out to the end of the threads. with a turbo that might be tough
I just thought about that again. You would have to loosen the k member bolts to have anything move. Unbolting the motormount bolts would only allow you to raise it and that is not what I need, unless it tilts. But there isn't much room for it to tilt before it hits the firewall.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:55 PM
10 Second Club

If your looking for a an excellent write up on getting the dash out, here is the best one around https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...-pictures.html
Old 09-22-2009, 09:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DanZ28
If your looking for a an excellent write up on getting the dash out, here is the best one around https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...-pictures.html
Thank you for that. I'll take another look at it before I give it another shot tomorrow.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
If I had it out I would be able to beat the tunnel, but it's still in. I'm hoping to get this thing out tomorrow before I go to work.
Sorry I didn't get my point across... What I was trying to say was drop the whole cradle to get it out this time, and then beat the hell out of the tunnel.. Sounds like you're already pretty deep into the dash removal though... Its not too bad, but I hope not to have to pull the dash again soon.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:43 PM
Tenured Member

Id remove the solid mounts before removing the dash. 16 bolts was always easier for me. Or do the reach around the head like on old school small blocks to get to the top bolts.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ryarbrough
Sorry I didn't get my point across... What I was trying to say was drop the whole cradle to get it out this time, and then beat the hell out of the tunnel.. Sounds like you're already pretty deep into the dash removal though... Its not too bad, but I hope not to have to pull the dash again soon.
I got what your saying now, but another limiting factor is I'm doing this on jackstands so the beating would take forever. I guess depending on where the holes end up being will dictate whether I have to remove the dash or just the console.