Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMR Drag Bar - How Do You Preload It

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Default BMR Drag Bar - How Do You Preload It

Installed the very beefy BMR drag bar last night. Basically, I just bolted it up. I know the end links are adjustable, so what kind of adjustments do you make?

I assume you go to the track and do trial and error, but from there, what and how is preloading done? And how do you make adjustments after racing?
Old 07-03-2004, 11:58 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TTT. Old post, I know, but I'm going through the same issues.

I've been driving around on the setup for a few months now (Moser 9", BMR Extreme Swaybar), but I'd like to fine tune it.

Right now, the ends of my BMR swaybar point to the 8 and 4 o'clock position angle relative to the ground. Should the swaybar ends be parallel to the ground (3 and 9 o'clock position)? I do know that the passenger side end link needs to be a bit longer than the driver's side.

I unbolted everything today and noticed that the length of the end links is pretty maxed out. Should I shorten them up?

Also, do BMR Extreme Swaybar users get constant fluttering noises coming from the end links where they attach to the angles welded to the rails? Is this due to my setup floating neutral right now without preload?

Any comments or advice appreciated.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I set mine up so the right side of the car sat about 1/8 inch higher than the left so it'll try to track straight under severe loading.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:35 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Should I shorten up the end links some (while keeping the passenger side longer than the driver's side)? Shortening them would gyrate the center portion of the sway bar towards the ground correct, and put the sway bar ends parallel to the ground?

I'm concerned that the end links were installed with their length already maxed out.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if they are that far out...I'd shorten them up some then. I'd try keeping the ends of the swaybar as level as possible
Old 07-03-2004, 01:02 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Cool.

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2004, 01:47 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just set mine by going to the track. Biggest thing this bar seemed to control other than helping it come out nice and flat and even was the car goign left of right out of the hole.

If the car is pulling to the left let's say, then you have too much preload in the righthand side and vice versa.
Old 07-03-2004, 01:57 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
I just set mine by going to the track. Biggest thing this bar seemed to control other than helping it come out nice and flat and even was the car goign left of right out of the hole.

If the car is pulling to the left let's say, then you have too much preload in the righthand side and vice versa.

It was launching pretty straight, but I may need to readjust things now.
Thanks for the tip.
Old 07-03-2004, 02:19 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you're welcome.

one more. since this bar does attatch to the housing with poly bushings and has some room to move where it connects to the body, make sure the bar is even. check that by measuring the space between the bar and the mounting points for the shocks on your 9", they should be the same. mine was a bit off and i loosed things up and moved the bar over and the car seemed to like it, but i did have to redo my preload settings after that, but was worth doing.
Old 07-03-2004, 06:43 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Alright. I shortened the end links about 1/2" each (keeping the passenger side longer). The passenger door at its bottom rear corner measures 1/4" higher than the passenger side.
The rattling is about 85% gone. Maybe I'll shorten them up some more.

Thanks all.
Old 07-03-2004, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

Mine are run down almost completely.
On motor it was launching straight,on nitrous it was pulling to right.
I adjusted it on the passenger side, now it is fine.

Quick Reply: BMR Drag Bar - How Do You Preload It