Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat ass starts the diet!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 11:48 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fat *** starts the diet!

My Ozite comes in tommorow! I just hope my weekend doesnt get taken away last the last two did! . We will see how my carpet craftsmanship is. This is the first weight reduction mod Im doing. I think with the way my schedule will be like I need to start with the top of the tunnel and take care of the driver side first. I may have to start on stop this install several times. Work keeps me very busy. . Plus the wifes 03 grand prix has a slight miss at idle and through p0440 code for evap small leak/ no flow i gotta chase down. No rest for the wicked!
Old 02-06-2008, 07:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't mind, where did you order your ozite carpet?
I'm trying too lose some of that "FATASS" weight also. Appreciate it, Thanks.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lunatic-when did you order your OZITE, I ordered 4 yards last friday and still have not recieved it
Old 02-06-2008, 11:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BOLO
If you don't mind, where did you order your ozite carpet?
I'm trying too lose some of that "FATASS" weight also. Appreciate it, Thanks.
Here it is. I didnt search the net for better deals so I used a link under one of the ozite threads. Its out there in the drag race forum in case this doesnt work. http://www.yourautotrim.com/80wideozite.html

Originally Posted by chrs1313
Lunatic-when did you order your OZITE, I ordered 4 yards last friday and still have not recieved it
I ordered mine Saturday. Its "suppost" to be here today as per UPS tracking. I ordered the normal ground shipping. Oh, while Im at it I got the dark grey and 4 yards of it. Is that the color you ordered? It seemed the closest and Im too impatient to order the sampler.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i ordered the black,they sent an email its out of stock till the end of this week,i should have it next week.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:52 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks Lunatik.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chrs1313
i ordered the black,they sent an email its out of stock till the end of this week,i should have it next week.
That sucks. My '68 came with black carpet. its fun dropping something at night. it just disappears in the dark . then again it only has the one dome light. the black looks great though!

Thanks Lunatik.
Not a problem.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Launching!

UPDATE!! UPS just dropped the ozite off. Just before I have to go to work. . Inspection will have to wait for tonight! Damn... This **** is very light!
Old 02-07-2008, 04:18 PM
10 Second Club

Lunatik, thanks again. Just placed an order. Ozite 80"x113" to be exact in the color #2050 dark charcoal.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:24 AM
Launching!

Lunatik, thanks again. Just placed an order. Ozite 80"x113" to be exact in the color #2050 dark charcoal.
Hehehe, stock color .
Old 02-08-2008, 02:05 AM
Launching!

Okay, I home now and i've had a chance to look over the new carpet and Im impressed! It's thicker than I expected and its still light! Im going to have to dig up a scale (probably the fishing scale) and weigh this roll. It looks to be a 1/4 inch thick, soft and carries a decent tensile strength.
Im back, I had to check the scales calibration against a 10lb dumbbell and its close. it read 9.7. close enough. all 4 yards weighed 11 lbs. So Im hoping to drop 30 lbs off of this switch.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

im thinking about getting some...what is envolved in getting the carpet to mold to the contours of the floor? just wondering
Old 02-08-2008, 02:42 AM
Launching!

I'm going to use a hair dryer and spray adhesive. All I know for this install I got from putting "ozite" into the drag race forum search and the first three threads should tell most you need to know. Cant remember the thread names off the top of my head-sorry.
Most people after stripping the interior out, laid the carpet out on the floor board and glued it first to the top of the trans tunnel then worked outward from there using a heat gun or hair dryer to form the carpet to bumps and curves. If the weather was warmer I would lay mine out in the sun all day to loosen it up some much like the process for recovering seats. some used heavy object to stretch areas out overnight. It sounds time consuming and will probably take me two weeks with my schedule .
Old 02-08-2008, 05:24 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Took me about 4 hours, easiest way to do it is to start at the back with the strait edge along where the stock carpet lays, put it there, then have it come down where the back seats are, tack spray as you go, get as far as you can before the bunching up and seasming gets too crazy. Cut it off, then start at the front and work your way back. Seems odd, but that back area will be the worst, the front the seats and console help hold it in place alot, and you'll really only have to seam it up in the corners for the most part.

Just sitting on the carpet as you're doing it will stretch it usually.. make sure you use a good spray adjesive, I used some cheap **** last time, ti held, but it came up so easily, I will use some better stuff this time.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Took me about 4 hours, easiest way to do it is to start at the back with the strait edge along where the stock carpet lays, put it there, then have it come down where the back seats are, tack spray as you go, get as far as you can before the bunching up and seasming gets too crazy. Cut it off, then start at the front and work your way back. Seems odd, but that back area will be the worst, the front the seats and console help hold it in place alot, and you'll really only have to seam it up in the corners for the most part.

Just sitting on the carpet as you're doing it will stretch it usually.. make sure you use a good spray adjesive, I used some cheap **** last time, ti held, but it came up so easily, I will use some better stuff this time.
Wow, that does seem like an unconventional way to go but it does make sence after viewing some folks back seat areas and that is where they in fact do have wrinkles. How long did your glue take to hold a firm grip without it slipping?
Old 02-08-2008, 09:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How is road noise?

Pics when done!
Old 02-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by lunatik
Wow, that does seem like an unconventional way to go but it does make sence after viewing some folks back seat areas and that is where they in fact do have wrinkles. How long did your glue take to hold a firm grip without it slipping?

Glue was dry in an hour or so, give or take.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:04 AM
Launching!

Cool, Thanks. Thats a little longer than I had hoped for but... oh well. It'll help me take my time better i guess. I'm going to try this tommorow. I'll get some pics for ya.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:10 PM
Launching!

Damn, striped the interior out and could not get around those six point star head fasteners (seat belt anchors) . I was hoping to not have to remove them or substitute a large phillip head because i do not have a set of those. I'll see if the neighbor has some or its off to the store. any suggestions out there?
Old 02-09-2008, 06:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lunatik
Damn, striped the interior out and could not get around those six point star head fasteners (seat belt anchors) . I was hoping to not have to remove them or substitute a large phillip head because i do not have a set of those. I'll see if the neighbor has some or its off to the store. any suggestions out there?

I believe it's a T-50 torx head.

Quick Reply: Fat ass starts the diet!