Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LT1 guys inside..turbo/engine ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 08:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 guys inside..turbo/engine ?

Ok, im in the process of doing a 355/T76 in my 96 LT1 with LS1 front end. I have 2 motors. A fully forged high compression engine which I plan on keeping and just putting some low compression pistons in it and calling it a day. It will just need to get rebalanced and be freshend up. I also have my stock motor out of my car and I plan on doing this up up this year..kinda as a test motor. Its also a 355 with the stock crank(30,000 miles)that just needed to be polished, some scat I-beams and some SRP -24cc pistons/plasma moly rings. I just picked up a set of LE2 heads..the Lt4s are gonna stay on the other motor(incase a throw a piston through these)..

im keeping the block budget...2 bolt stock mains(studded) and only plan on running 10psi through one of FI's TC76s. Cam is a 220/220 and I dont plan on spinning past 6200rpms. How do you guys think this motor will hold up? like I said..if I can get a year out of it on 10psi id be happy. Im hoping to make no more than 600rwhp(which should be easy) and ill be using meth/achly as a safety..(the car will be made safe on just gas..but have the meth as an ADDED safety..so if it fails, it wont take the motor with it)

Also, I have half of a PTK kit. The headers/Xover and im going to be putting the turbo somewhere on the passenger side..I wanted it higher up like near the battery..anyone do anything like this and have any pics?

what do you guys think? I see people running 8psi all day long on stock LT1s so I dont see why having the studded 2 bolts,forged rods/pistons, 6200rpms max would blow this engine to pieces right awy...time for the feeback
Old 11-16-2006, 01:50 AM
10 Second Club

anyone?
Old 11-16-2006, 02:11 AM
On The Tree

Do it right the first time. You cant just focus on the engine, the entire car needs to be built for turbo.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:00 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SWINGRRRR
Do it right the first time. You cant just focus on the engine, the entire car needs to be built for turbo.

I know, and thats whats happening. I plan on this year being my "test" setup for the motor. The biggest thing im trying to focus on is the turbo kit itself, getting it 100% and perfect, and the rest of the car so that the weak link will be the motor by the end of the summer. I just want to make sure it will last till the end of the summer with around 600rw
Old 11-16-2006, 07:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Snyper
I just want to make sure it will last till the end of the summer with around 600rw
I don't think even the best on this site can attest to that. I have read threads on here of motor blowing up on the dyno, first time they are fired up. It sounds as if you at least have a solid foundation though.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SWINGRRRR
I don't think even the best on this site can attest to that. I have read threads on here of motor blowing up on the dyno, first time they are fired up. It sounds as if you at least have a solid foundation though.
Yeah, I know what your saying. I plan on running 10psi on that turbo. I really dont see why it would be a problem when people run stock motors up to around 8psi with no problems. Its only 2 more..plus heads/intake..but its got much better pistons/rods than stock along with the studs.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:19 PM
ggk
Launching!

i wold get a splayed 4 bolt main.
and maybe a forged crank because i dont think the lt1 crank is that strong.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:27 PM
10 Second Club

thats the idea with the other motor. The LT1 crank is the strongest part of the bottom end.Im not worried about breaking that. Has anyone made any power with 2 bolt mains?
Old 11-16-2006, 04:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm making 400 rwhp at 8 psi with all stock internals through an automatic. I have heard that you need an intercooler if you go any higher. I also spoke to someone who was making 470 hp with a supercharger (10 psi?) but he grenaded the engine after 10k miles.
Since my car was only 230 rwhp stock, I am very pleased with the increase of 58% with only a bolt on turbo (along with the usual 42 lb injectors and 255lph Walbro).
Old 11-16-2006, 04:47 PM
10 Second Club

oh the turbo kit is complete. Im not sparing anything with the turbo kit since its what ill be using with the next motor. Its got a big intercooler.

Quick Reply: LT1 guys inside..turbo/engine ?