Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Axle install question

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 01:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle install question

We are going to be putting Moser axles in my buddies 2000 SS, is there any special tools we are going to need or any advice you can give me?
Thanks
-Mark
Old 12-08-2004, 06:42 AM
TECH Junkie

No special tools. Be careful not to damage axle seals when pulling out or sliding in new axles. Helms manual for '98-'02 F-bodies will tell you all steps if you've never pulled axles before. WJ
Old 12-08-2004, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's pretty simple, really...I would clean out all the old fluid from the tubes with some brake parts cleaner while the axles are out. Check the condition of the bearings and the seals before installing the new axles. Replace them if you see any signs of unusual wear.

My only complaint about the axles is that the hubcentric portion of it is shorter than the stock ones...so getting the wheels on is more difficult.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:59 AM
14 Second Truck Club

You will need a puller if you are going to replace the axle bearings. Also, buy new fluid, gasket and friction modifier because you will have to pull the cover. To rempove the axle you have to disassemble you brakes, then remove the rear cover. There is a small bolt on the diff case that holds in the cross shaft. Remove that, push in slightly on the cross shaft, turn the case around and pull it out from the other side. Sometimes the pin will be hard to pull on from being slippery, if so push out the side that had the lock bolt in it and insert the lock bolt back in to use as a handle. Then just slide in the axle slightly and remove the c-clip from the center of the diff case, a magnet makes this part easier and comes in handy from reinstalling. Then just slide out the axle. Installing is the exact opposite. I would replace the axle bearings while you are in there, along with the seals, unless it has very low miles. The old bearigs and axles wear together similar to a brake pad and rotor, although not a severe.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mzoomora
You will need a puller if you are going to replace the axle bearings. Also, buy new fluid, gasket and friction modifier because you will have to pull the cover. To rempove the axle you have to disassemble you brakes, then remove the rear cover. There is a small bolt on the diff case that holds in the cross shaft. Remove that, push in slightly on the cross shaft, turn the case around and pull it out from the other side. Sometimes the pin will be hard to pull on from being slippery, if so push out the side that had the lock bolt in it and insert the lock bolt back in to use as a handle. Then just slide in the axle slightly and remove the c-clip from the center of the diff case, a magnet makes this part easier and comes in handy from reinstalling. Then just slide out the axle. Installing is the exact opposite. I would replace the axle bearings while you are in there, along with the seals, unless it has very low miles. The old bearigs and axles wear together similar to a brake pad and rotor, although not a severe.
The car has about 35,000 miles on it. We are replacing them cause one broke on a 4,500rpm clutch dump on a nitto, tire ownz axle lol. Anyway in this case do you think it would be necessary to change the bearings and seals? we dont have a axle puller and have never done this before so would like to do as little as necessary. If we do need one however where would we get an axle puller?
Thanks
-Mark
Old 12-08-2004, 03:23 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Your bearings should be okay. You can leave them if you want to keep it simple. As far as the puller, you just need a slide hammer with an attachment that will grab behind the bearing.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

like the guy with the Z71 said, remove the cross-shaft and c-clips with a magnet, (sometimes the C-Clips will just fall out when you push the axles in if you kick hard) and they slide right out, 20 min job. however if you with to change the bearings, THATS what you need a puller for.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:49 AM
TECH Resident

check the differential carefully... As you know, I broke an axle this week end as well. My axles will be here today, but last night while I was cleaning and removing the differntial to get ready to put everything back together I discovered the differential on the side the axle broke was split. This was a small crack which went from the carrier bearing flange all the way to one of the windows (holes in the carrier). Coincedentaly, I will no longer be needing those axles, as I refuse to spend $850.00 repairing this damn thing. That would be about $1200.00 to have a built 10 bolt with aftermarket gears. Time to start shopping. I am torn between a Strange 12 bolt and a Billingsley 9". Good Luck.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BOWTIE
check the differential carefully... As you know, I broke an axle this week end as well. My axles will be here today, but last night while I was cleaning and removing the differntial to get ready to put everything back together I discovered the differential on the side the axle broke was split. This was a small crack which went from the carrier bearing flange all the way to one of the windows (holes in the carrier). Coincedentaly, I will no longer be needing those axles, as I refuse to spend $850.00 repairing this damn thing. That would be about $1200.00 to have a built 10 bolt with aftermarket gears. Time to start shopping. I am torn between a Strange 12 bolt and a Billingsley 9". Good Luck.
Wow that sucks, I really hope that is not the case for us, cause he broke the driveshaft and carrier case on his other car(jeep)
Old 12-10-2004, 04:22 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for making the post mark! Well, its 4:19pm on Friday its time to start the dismantling if you have done this before I ask that u check this post as much as possible because im sure I will have? THANKS ALL

Scott
Old 12-11-2004, 02:04 AM
12 Second Club

OK any one have pictures of what the c clips look like, i have a Hayes (sp?) manual and i look at the picture and my casing (gears, posi, ext.) looks similar but yet different. NEED PICS PLEASE HELP

Scott
Old 12-11-2004, 09:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Here's a pic of the c-clip from an 8.5 rear end, looks similar though. Matter of fact use that website as a nice guide for your project. Very informative.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/fscu/axletech/

Last edited by HavATampa; 12-11-2004 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:07 PM
12 Second Club

you are my savior...... should be done today
thanks for the help!!!!

Scott
Old 12-11-2004, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heh...bless you my son.