General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Ever Had an Fbody Stolen?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 03:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever Had an Fbody Stolen?

I was wondering if anyone else had. I'll start...

I had my first 4th gen, a '98 SS stolen out of my own driveway in Slidell, LA the third day I lived there about June 2005. Not a trace left. The St. Tammany deputy told me that if it was any other car that he would give me a 50-50 chance of recovery, but that there was a ring that was hitting SS'es and WS.6'es as fast as they could find them. Word on the street was that they were getting keys cut from your VIN, so on my B4C and on the new SS, I've got that sucker covered.

Anyone else had this horror? My 35th SS is WAY nicer than the '98 was, but she was my first, and just like women, there will always be one that you never get over.

Let's hear your story...
Old 04-03-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billy_B4C
I was wondering if anyone else had. I'll start...

I had my first 4th gen, a '98 SS stolen out of my own driveway in Slidell, LA the third day I lived there about June 2005. Not a trace left. The St. Tammany deputy told me that if it was any other car that he would give me a 50-50 chance of recovery, but that there was a ring that was hitting SS'es and WS.6'es as fast as they could find them. Word on the street was that they were getting keys cut from your VIN, so on my B4C and on the new SS, I've got that sucker covered.

Anyone else had this horror? My 35th SS is WAY nicer than the '98 was, but she was my first, and just like women, there will always be one that you never get over.

Let's hear your story...
you know that the vin is on the side windows right?
Old 04-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by aaron653
you know that the vin is on the side windows right?
Only if you (or the previous owner) had it engraved/etched there...
Old 04-03-2007, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Near Theft experience:> https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-lsx-automobile-discussion/685625-my-z28-almost-stolen-grr.html
Old 04-03-2007, 06:31 PM
TECH Junkie

My car was stolen from my garage when I lived in Indiana. Too bad the ******* couldn't drive a stick, and were making all kinds of noise trying to take it. The neighbors came out and they left in their van.

They broke into the house and tok a bunch of ****. I ended up with a new clutch out of it though.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ColeTrains'96Z28
I read that and went out and bought wheel locks the very next day!
Old 04-03-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had an 87 Iroc that got stolen right from under my damn window as i slept. i swear im gettin lojack for my next f-bod
Old 04-03-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Heres my story... towards the bottom

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...2&page=2&pp=20
Old 04-03-2007, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Only if you (or the previous owner) had it engraved/etched there...
definately came like that from the factory...sorry for the bad pic..it's dark outside.

(yes dirty car)
Old 04-03-2007, 10:11 PM
Banned

I found a stolen one, back in '95 we went out to ride 4 wheelers, there was a car burnt so bad you could hardly tell what it was. By the date stamped on the spare tire rim I could tell it was a '94 or '95. The very centers of the rims were there, the top of the transmission was melted, the rear of the heads were melted so bad you could see the pistons, in fact I reached in and pulled a intake valve out and kept it for a while. There were big puddles of molten aluminum under the car. Depressing sight, they didn't even strip anything off it.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

My '02 NHRA Formy was "stolen" from an apartment complex after I let my brother borrow it to go see his gf. I month later I bought the Z and right after I bought the Z, as in THE SAME DAY just minutes later, the police found my formy.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My 1990 305TBI RS was nearly stolen in -big surprise- Memphis, Tn many years ago. It was all hot rodded and while it only went about as good as a 350TPI it at least looked the part.

Anyways, some hack jimmied the lock and broke the steering column open to pry the starter, moron was such an amateur that he didn't have knowldege of, or a solution for, the simple GM pass key. Otherwise the car would have been gone, and likely wrecked on a joyride.

As it turned out they just ripped off everything they could get a hands on, and I was able to start the car with the key in the ignition and some pliers(to pull the ignition rod). Sure sucked *** driving 12 hours non-stop home with no stereo, motherfuckering pos thieves.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:03 AM
Staging Lane

Had my 98 black WS6 stolen 2 days after I got it home. It was sitting outside for about 30 minutes, and boom gone. The *** hat flipped it while trying to run from the police. Hit a curb @ about 50 and did a clean flip, landed in a valley and hit a tree. I was hoping he was dead as a rock but he was sadly still alive; albeit knocked out in my passengers seat.. I never saw the car after it was wrecked as I did not want too... My brother told me what happen (he called me at work), and let me know it was pretty messed up. A week or so later I got a check from Insurance worth 3k more than I had paid for it 2 days earlier.

I agree; I really really really liked that car now that its gone lol.

The new WS6 has a key-engaged kill switch. They can take it for about a quarter of a mile, of which will not get them out of my neighborhood. The only time this one sees the outdoors is when I am driving it, or a foot away from it .
Old 04-04-2007, 04:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah my cars are getting lojack bc of my experience with this.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by aaron653
definately came like that from the factory...sorry for the bad pic..it's dark outside.

(yes dirty car)

No sir. I've had three 4th gens (and three 3rd gens)...not one had that. That is not a factory option.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No sir. I've had three 4th gens (and three 3rd gens)...not one had that. That is not a factory option.
hmm weird...it is on both windows in the exact same place with the same size letters/numbers...and it isn't engraved and you cant scratch it off
Old 04-04-2007, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah they give you a kit for it. Some kinda chemical that eats the glass or something.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:55 PM
Launching!

I'm terrified that I'm going to lose mine because I spend most of my time in a terrible neighborhood. How do I get lojack and how much would it cost?
Old 04-04-2007, 03:35 PM
11 Second Club

I have the VIN on both side windows and both t-tops, I can't recall if it's on the hatch glass or not. I didn't have it put there and the woman that owned the car before me probably didn't either.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found out my 96 RS that I just traded in last fall for my Z28 was stolen from the guy who bought it after i traded it in.

I got pulled over in my Z and I still haven't transferred the plates over, I thought I did but the license bureau evidently only transferred the title and not the plates like I requested. They keep changing the p/w every year so I just assumed my new title and the papers with it was the registration. When I got pulled over they said the car my plates were registered to, my old RS, came up as a stolen vehicle.

Had 2 other cars stolen though, one an 87 GN that they found burnt to a crisp and a total loss..

Quick Reply: Ever Had an Fbody Stolen?