General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

new power window problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 06:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default new power window problem

i just installed a new powwer window on my DS door. ive done it twice before so its bolted in correctly i do know that. heres the problem. when i press the button to roll the window down, it goes up. when i press the up button, it goes down. it looked like the switch could only be connected one way bc of the way the prongs were on it. i havent taken it back apart yet, but its prob just somethin stupid i overlooked....any ideas?
Old 07-24-2009, 06:30 AM
EW1
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like you have two wires connected improperly since it is doing the opposite of what it is supposed to do.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree with the above, check your connections, sounds like something is connected backwards.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:00 PM
TECH Addict

it looked like the connection could only go one way, ive donnected and disconnected those wires probably 20 times and enver had a problem. ill check again i guess
Old 07-24-2009, 04:25 PM
Staging Lane

It would be hard to connect the connector backwards. Maybe the motor was assembled improperly and the wires were switched inside the moter?

Scott
Old 07-24-2009, 06:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by iowackers
It would be hard to connect the connector backwards. Maybe the motor was assembled improperly and the wires were switched inside the moter?

Scott

I agree...it would be pretty hard to plug the connector in backwards.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Where is the best place to get a power window motor? Mine is on it's way out and I would like to get one but don't want to pay a fortune. Are the ones sold at Advanced Auto Parts worth a crap? Thanks.

Adam
Old 07-25-2009, 09:09 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Its likely a bad motor. Did you purchase a re-maunufactured unit?

Autoparts stores sell a brand new motor by Doorman, with a new design that's supposed to perform better over the long run. Regardless, you should be able to avoid reman problems with a new unit.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by wssix99
Its likely a bad motor. Did you purchase a re-maunufactured unit?

Autoparts stores sell a brand new motor by Doorman, with a new design that's supposed to perform better over the long run. Regardless, you should be able to avoid reman problems with a new unit.
yes i did, i figured it would be good as new if it had all new parts?
Old 07-25-2009, 12:13 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by kyles2000z
yes i did, i figured it would be good as new if it had all new parts?
I did at first also, because I thought it was a simple mechanism - like an alternator. These door motors have several parts in them - all of which fail.

Some people have problems with the motor windings rusting or getting fouled, some people have problems with the thermal cutoff switch failing, and some motors are just plain possessed by demons from hell. When these units are rebuilt, it sounds like sometimes they are keeping bad thermal cutoff switches in them or not performing the requisite exorcisms for the demonic possession. (Or have unskilled labor in China re-assembling them!)

I threw in the towel before the new Doorman units came out and ended up switching to a new aftermarket motor/regulator combination. (So far so good on that plan - but I need more stress test time before I can recommend the approach to others.) I haven't seen any gripes on the doorman units, so I'd suggest that's the best/least expensive way to go. (Especially if you take in to account the labor involved to switch the damn things out.)