General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Improving a/c performance, Variable orifice valve

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Improving a/c performance, Variable orifice valve

Variable orifice valve, anyone have any experience with it? Talked to my dad, an hvac mechanic, didn't seem to know much about it. I researched a little, seems to lower a/c temp by 5 degrees, but the biggest improvement is stop and go cooling dramatically increased. It changes size depending on load. It is also suppose to free up high driving speed horsepower, I assume because there is less of a load on the compressor

anyway, if anyone has one or knows about them, chime in, I think I'm gonna throw my ac back on the car and I want the best a/c posible, part of the reason I never put it back on was because of how crappy mine cools even when properly filled and running, maybe this device can help cure it?

Last edited by t/a98; 11-13-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bump. No one had tried to improve their a/c performance, no one wants to improve it?
Old 11-13-2010, 02:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you want cooling power, first thing I'd do is clean
out the condenser. And if you're real motivated and
limber, the evap core inside the handler. But that
ought to have a filter and not be too crusty inside.
I've seen a lot of debris come out of mine, which
bugs both A/C and radiator heat throw.

Your compressor cuts out at WOT anyway, it's in the
tune settings.

If you lower the temperature too much you could get
icing. Then nothing works.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go with the Ford blue tube. Undercharge the system 1/4lb. Backflush the exterior of the condenser with a hose.

I've done that to all of my GM vehicles (all R134a systems) and each one blows a consistent 36 degrees almost regardless of ambient temperature. If the evaporator freezes up on the highway on full cold and low blower motor speed, either add more regfrigerant or learn to stay off the lowest fan speed
Old 11-13-2010, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Condensor is clean, fins are straight. I like the advice, keep it coming. Still no experience with vot?

I know gm puts universal orifices in so it cools well in Michigan as well as Nevada,and using an orifice sized for your climate helps, my accumulator and the hose with the hole are on order from parts taxi, when they come in and I put it in I'll let everyone know the vent temps and hi/lo pressures.

I'm still intrested in vot, seems to make the whole a/c system last longer as It reduces head pressure at high mph and cools better at low rpm

i might try the blue orifice if vot doesn't work, but vot is supose to be smaller or larger, so ID get the best size in all climates and all loads. If there is something that will improve results as much as the makers claim, I want it.

Couple of diesel sites and other forums have had great success. Weird no one here has...

Last edited by t/a98; 11-13-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

P.s my goal is to open up discussion on all methods of improvemtnt, it's for all of ls1tech not just me. I have a basic knowledge on hvac it was my trade for a while, but I did homes...
Old 11-17-2010, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think we are all interested, just don't know alot about it.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll post some info on it tonight. I forget the inventors name but he was over gm's a/c for a long time. So i'm guessing he knows what he's talking about.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a heads up that I put one of the VOTs in my wifes suburban a while back (6 months ago) when I replaced her compressor and redid her A/C system. We live here in Houston where it get's hotttt as hell in the summer and I was looking for a solution to help the A/C cool down quicker and read up alot on the VOTs. After installing one I can tell you that I notice ZERO difference in and for the price it is not worth it IMO. The VOT was $35 and the standard Orifice Tube was $8, so with no noticeable difference you do the math.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Banned

I've serviced 100's of ac systems, the newer systems with 134a coolant are fussy to the amount of charge. ITs very easy to get them overcharged and then they don't cool very well. Another crappy thing in our fbodies is the fact there is no hot water bypass valve so you always have 200 degree water flowing through the heater core. So you gotta be sure the air doors are sealing properly or you wont get good cold air. Wgeb i bought my ta the air blew so so cold and took about 10 mins to start getting good and cold. I tested the system in warm weather and found it was WAY over charged, after letting ALOT of coolant out it worked nice and got cold instantly. I always wait for a nice 80 degree day then test the system and get the pressures where they belong by adjusting the charge.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have a pic of the VOV?
Old 12-23-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 9t8z28
Do you have a pic of the VOV?
Here you go:

http://www.acsource.com/smartvov-hig...ficetubes.aspx

Quick Reply: Improving a/c performance, Variable orifice valve