General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
View Poll Results: change out your own spark plugs or take them somwher to get changed?
Change them out your self
86.04%
Take them to a mechanic
13.96%
Voters: 831. You may not vote on this poll

Change your own spark plugs or take it to get serviced??

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change your own spark plugs or take it to get serviced??

Do most of you all change out your own spark plugs or take it somewhere to get chaned ive been calling around and everyones telling me the same thing around 185 to 215 $ just for labor. For those of you that do change them out your selves whats the best way to do it, i know those back to on the passenger side are really tight in there, any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:08 AM
TECH Resident

Spark plug socket, extension, U-joint, and ratchet. I'm a skinny guy so its fairly easy.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do it yourself and save the money. as far as the best way to go about changing them there are several post with several opinions, search and then try the one you think will work best for you.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:16 AM
TECH Regular

Some I have to get from underneath and some I have to get from the top. Make sure you have a couple different length ratchet extensions and maybe a universal. My first time it took me about 5 hours. The two in the back on pass. side were a real bitch. But the second time, I got them done in about 2.5 hours. I don't know why, but I didn't have much trouble with the last two the second time like I had the first time. If your doing plugs, you should probably do wires at the same time.
Let me just ask... Why are you changing plugs? My first set of plugs were still good after 110,000 miles. Then I had performance problems so I changed them out. Turns out that I had dirty fuel injectors.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

im changing them because im misfiring sometimes and im feeling it hesitate sometimes, so that was the first thing i thought of.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002CobraKiller
im changing them because im misfiring sometimes and im feeling it hesitate sometimes, so that was the first thing i thought of.
You might want to troubleshoot the problem(or have someone help)instead of just changing them first. You can waste a lot of money shotgunning.

If you change them,don't over-tighten because the heads are aluminum. Use anti-sieze compound on the threads and similar stuff for the boots. Have someone help ,or do them, if it worries you.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:10 PM
TECH Regular

I went through that with mine and changed plugs (twice), wires, throttle position sensor, EGR valve, coil, Opti-spark (twice), and probably some other stuff. Mine would miss at low RPMs but be fine about 2500 RPMs. When I ran injector cleaner ($3) in a tank of gas, it would run noticeably better. But the next tank would do the same thing. Finally I replaced the injectors with 30,000mile used ones from a vette and the problem totally went away. One injector fot the LT1 is ~$90 at the store. I bought 8 off of a guy on EBay for $65! It took about 2 hours to put the injectors in.

If I were you, I'd put some injector cleaner through and see if anything improves.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:40 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Do most of you all change out your own spark plugs or take it somewhere to get chaned ive been calling around and everyones telling me the same thing around 185 to 215 $ just for labor. For those of you that do change them out your selves whats the best way to do it, i know those back to on the passenger side are really tight in there, any help would be appreciated.
Get #8 from underneath, really easy. Also disconnect the AIR rubber tube from the check valve and you can gently move the tube from the check valve to the manifold toward the front of the car to get #6 easier. A short 3/8" ratchet and a variety of extensions helps, including a short "wobble" extension. A universal can be helpful for breaking plugs loose, but I never install with it. Like was said, use anti sieze on the plug threads and dielectric grease in the boots (not on the electrodes).
Old 09-15-2005, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never used a swivel to get to any of my plugs. On the driver's side I removed the air tube and got to all of them fairly easily. On the passenger side I removed the air tube and completely removed the coil packs(they are all on a metal rail). That last bolt on the coil pack rail is a real bitch(its up under the windshield), and don't worry about putting it back on. I managed to get to #8, the back one on the passenger side, with just the spark plug socket and my 3/8" ratchet. A very helpful tool would be a very small 3/8" ratchet. Getting at them from underneath is impossible on my 1999, due to the way the cats and manifolds are positioned.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

A very good writeup on what's involved. Just completely remove the coil pack rail before doing any of the passenger side plugs, makes it much easier. If you have a Saturday or Sunday to kill, then do it yourself.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:02 AM
Staging Lane

also my ses light has been coming on occasionally but it only stays on for 10-15 miles and goes off, i had it scanned and it only had one code that said it was running lean this is why i thought it was the plugs
Old 09-16-2005, 11:40 AM
12 Second Club

Just take the coil packs of the passanger side and you can get them all from the top. I can do it and i have big fore arms.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:25 PM
TECH Veteran

I do them all from the top, both sides and I don't remove anything except my STB.

My first time....2 hours.

My second time.....45 minutes

My third I did it in about 40 minutes.

The last time on my friends LS1 it took about 5 minutes to do all 8. But the motor wasn't in the car.

Its a bitch.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bust your cherry and your knuckles!Be the man!
Old 09-16-2005, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

Changing spark plugs is easy take a good look at your engine bay its no big deal #8 plug can be taken off from the top
Old 09-17-2005, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

You must do it your self. I’d run a can of sea foam in the tank and one in the engine right before an oil change. You can get Sea foam from O’Reillys. This will totally clean out your system and you will know that there is no blockage that can be throwing off the computer.

The more you do yourself, the more you will learn about your car and the less you will be dependent on others to do little things for you. That’s why you joined this site anyway right?

Your car running lean, Have you done anything else to your car lately ie. pulley Lid, or any other intake mods. This will most def. throw off the PCM and force your car to pull timing. Also check that your gas cap is fully seated and tight, and I know that your not being cheap and using anything less than 91 octane. You should be using 93!

But overall, I’m with jkichline, it is most likely that your fuel injectors are dirty. Put a min, of two cans in there or sea foam.

Have fun learning you ride man. This last three years with my car has been great!!
Old 09-17-2005, 09:50 PM
Launching!

Honestly, the hardest part will be trying to get your stock wires off. It was for me. 45 minutes EACH to get 4 and 6's wires off, and only 5 minutes to get the plug out. Just be creative in your angle of attack for the plugs. I get 4 and 6 by leaning over the lid and winding my arms through from the front. It looks weird and you have to have fairly long arms, but it gave me the perfect angle.

EDIT: And wear gloves too! Your hands will appreciate it.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always did my own plugs on my 98 Formula and could do it in 45min after I'd done it about three times.

The plugs on my C5 are super easy, I can do it in 45min without even rushing. All of the plugs have easy access.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

change it out yourself!

Save yourself the money.....
Old 09-19-2005, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Your asking on a LS1tech forum. I love the percentage difference. lol
When you pull your own plugs you can also compare them to a good Plug diagnostic chart and find A/F ratio problems or valve problems, etc.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:45 AM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im gettin new plugs and wires, my mechanic say $150 to do it. i really really want to do it myself, but i dont know how to do anything on my car. i think i would really mess **** up. argg NE help would be GREAT

Quick Reply: Change your own spark plugs or take it to get serviced??