Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD 82458 Blaster Coils

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 10:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD 82458 Blaster Coils

Howdy everyone.

I'm trying to find out what the center to center distance of the mounting holes on the blaster coils listed in the subject line is. Would anyone out there happen to know what that is?
Old 02-26-2012, 07:22 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome to LS1tech!

There doesn't seem to be this measurement anywhere on the internet or in MSD's installation instructions.

Here on LS1tech, you'll find the search function will be your best friend. The MSD LS coils have been shown many times to not only offer no performance advantage, they often fail. They're not worth the money. Stay with newer stock GM LS2 style coils if you can.

Have a look at this thread result after searching for "82458":
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...msd-coils.html
Old 02-26-2012, 11:13 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the welcome Paul. Yes, I couldn't find any information either. And I have been warned about MSD coils before. Even a buddy of mine won't touch them. But here is the problem I'm faced with. I odered a set of Holley LS valve covers (part no. 241-90). These are the valve covers that don't require the old coil brackets that are bolted to the OEM valve covers. If you have time, google them and you will see what I'm talking about. When I placed my OEM blaster coil on to the part that the coils bolt to, it would not fit. The center to center distance of my old coils were about a 1/4" short from the valve cover. My old valve covers are trashed, so I can't go back to them. I am going to call Holley tech tomorrow and tear them a new *** and asked them what the hell I'm supposed to do. But more than anything, I was just trying to figure out if maybe these valve covers are supposed to be used with a different coil.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:37 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

I see. Nice looking covers!

You have a 1998-2002 Firebird/Trans Am?

From page one of Holley's instructions for these covers:

"Fits LS1, LS2, LS3, LS6, and LS7 Engines Using Coils with Standard LS3 Bolt Spacing of 72mm"

Head down to a Pep Boys or Auto zone with one cover and ask for a ignition coil for a 2010 Corvette. They had the LS3 engine. Check to see if the coil bolt holes line up.

You'll have another problem. LS1/LS6 vehicles have one style coil plug. Everything else has a different coil plug. To use LS3 style coils on your LS1 Firebird, you'll need to replace both ignition coil harnesses.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:47 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

It could be one of two coils used on the lS3 engines, both will fit.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:42 PM
Teching In

Yes sir. It is an 02 WS6. Dark blue metallic. Wow. LS3? I don't have a Pep Boys around me but I do have all the other majors around me. Thanks very much Paul. I really appreciate it.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:48 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Yeah, the plugs that go into the coils are keyed and wired differently.

Personally, I'd rather keep the stock valve covers. It's way easier to do things like spark plugs when all the entire coil packs lift off in one shot. I can't imagine doing the number 8 plug with the coils in place.

Good luck with the project!
Old 02-26-2012, 01:47 PM
Teching In

Hey Paul. I forgot to ask you if you might have part no's for the coils and wire harnesses.

Quick Reply: MSD 82458 Blaster Coils