Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When you drive a ram-air equipped vehicle in the rain....

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default When you drive a ram-air equipped vehicle in the rain....

Where does the rain water that goes up the scoop (Camaro SS) or scoops (WS6 T/A) go?

Just something I've always wondered, because if you don't have a K&N or something with oil repelling it, does it get sucked in???

Maybe I'm over analyzing haha
Old 09-04-2012, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
GM water tested both the SS and WS6 hood for water infiltration, during a rain storm, does water go in? yes, but there are baffles and drain holes for the water to get out before entering the engine.

Plow through a huge puddle/lake . . . .well, thats just a different story.
Also check out https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...s-ram-air.html

Those should have your answers.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:39 PM
10 Second Club

i have a slp ram air and blackwing filter and i do believe a small ammount of water goes up the scoop in rain i dont notice mine driving normal but if i hit a puddle and make a big splash the engine will studder for a second which tells me water is going in the engine my lt1 ws6 which has a different ram air setup it it rains hard the engine will cut out but the ram air hood go directly into the air box gm must have seen there mistake because they changed the design on the ls1 cars
Old 09-04-2012, 01:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They aren't typically sealed up enough for water go get sucked into the engine. Especially on SS.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Don't worry about it unless you are going to cross a river. lol

The water has to run uphill then through the filter...I think it would be really difficult to cause a problem.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I was driving it in PA here and we're getting torrential rain from that hurricane, it wasn't worrying me, but it got me thinking as to how water doesn't get in exactly. I'm sure other people ask themselves as well.
After owning an LT1 I'm kind of used to being paranoid while driving an Fbody in the rain LOL
Old 09-04-2012, 06:44 PM
TECH Resident

I believe that unless it's a large amount such as from a big slash on the hood ect that the filter should absorb the water and the remaining air that is rushing in probably dries it before it becomes a problem.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

i drove through tropical storm debby in fl and it didnt effect me at all and i cut out the stops in the nostrils so i think you dont need to worry about anything
Old 09-04-2012, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

As long as you don't go driving through actual standing water with it or a huge puddle where you know substantial water can get in, you should be fine. I've gone through some gnarly storms with mines in the past and it went through like a champ.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

I dont drive in the rain.... Lol. Very good question tho because i always wondered myself.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

I daily drive my C5 in Fl which means it gets wet almost daily and it has a Vararam intake. After a driving home in a torrential downpour once I popped the top of the intake off and the filter was still dry.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's all about the quantity of water that is inhaled by the engine. Some use water injection to increase the efficiency of the fuel burn because the fuel binds to the surface of the water droplets and increases the surface area that can burn.

I have also seen cars with a CAI that hit a puddle and hydro locked the engine. You'll usually jack up the alternator or ignition system before pulling in air. Most stock systems use a tube in the shape of a U with a hole a the bottom that allows a ot of air in but any water pulled in doesn't make it up the back half of the U.

Now for the intake of the f-bodies I'm not too sure. It's seems to me that it would be unlikely that without hitting a really big puddle that pulling in water would be an issue.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, like I said it wasn't something that worried me. I'm sure they designed it to run in the rain. Just got me thinking as I was getting misted by a truck in front of me.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:00 PM
TECH Addict

as eveyone said. unless you poured water in there it shouldnt get in. the filter it self will collect alot of water and soak before it lets any droplets pass through. ive always enjoyed driving my camaro in the rain but its a Z28 and we get very LIGHT rain if any so yeah
Old 09-06-2012, 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
as eveyone said. unless you poured water in there it shouldnt get in. the filter it self will collect alot of water and soak before it lets any droplets pass through. ive always enjoyed driving my camaro in the rain but its a Z28 and we get very LIGHT rain if any so yeah
Haha yeah you're in Dubai. How the heck do these cars even get over there LOL
Old 09-07-2012, 07:00 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by l 95 Trans Am l
Haha yeah you're in Dubai. How the heck do these cars even get over there LOL
LOL really?! its a chevy! we have tons of chevys here specially vettes...its kinda boring now to drive a vette lol..though LS1 fbodys are the rarest specially the SS ive only seen 2 so far and 2 TAs but LOTS of v6s. this is my 2nd 4th gen and my friend owns one too
Old 09-07-2012, 08:16 AM
On The Tree

I have a volant set up with slp ram air hood. On a few occasions I got caught in the rain and my car acted ridiculous. I ended stopping and waiting the rain out. My best guess was that my MAF(descreen) got a bit wet. I let it air dry then nothing was wrong.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I have a homemade CAI on my A4 Formula that breathes through the scoops on the bumper beneath the leading edge of the hood. It's straight through to the air filter. I'll get some water in the airbox in heavy rain, but the filter has never been wet. I made some rain blockers for the openings that I usually use for peace of mind when the rain is heavy.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are a few weep holes in the SS hood's front plenum
that will let water drip out. By the time the air makes the
loop-de-loop to get there any water will have found the
duct walls and left the air stream.

Quick Reply: When you drive a ram-air equipped vehicle in the rain....