Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

intake bolts

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 08:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intake bolts

Did something real dumb.Took of intake and replaced valley cover gasket,oil pressure sensor and knock sensor.All went good.Put intake back on and thought bolts were torqued to 44 ft lbs and 88 ft lbs.Did not see that it is inch lbs.Did not torque to 44 ft lbs of course but I did tighten them pretty good much more than 7 and 8 ft lbs.Should I just leave alone or loosen and re torque?I'm afraid if I start over I might start stripping bolts.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Start over. It's a plastic intake manifold. Too much torque + vibration will crack it. If it's not cracked already.

Remove all the bolts,, remove the manifold and give it a really good inspection inside and out. Install with new bolts.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:31 AM
Teching In

Can I use same bolts if they back out ok
Old 11-24-2016, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

Same thing. Careful inspection, make sure they're straight and the threads are in good shape.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

replace them. they are all sorts of suck to remove without pulling the head if they break below flush
Old 11-27-2016, 06:54 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do replace the bolts. They are certainly stretched to the limit and may break if reused. One or two might even break when you remove them. Good luck with it!
Old 11-27-2016, 07:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by unit
Do replace the bolts. They are certainly stretched to the limit and may break if reused. One or two might even break when you remove them. Good luck with it!
I backed them loose and retightened them to correct torque.....I think.
Car seems to run great.Should I just leave it alone for now?I'm afraid
the more I mess with it the greater the chance I might break a bolt or strip the bolt.The only torque wrench I had was in ft lbs so I converted to inch lbs
and I think I got them close.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

I think you're skirting with danger. You didn't remove the manifold or bolts for inspection. Any of them could be cracked, and that could cause a failure when you least want one. Murphey's Law and all that.

You also didn't use the correct tool. Your torque wrench probably isn't that accurate at 3.5 ft/lbs. Spend a little money and buy the correct tool. They're really not that expensive.

If you don't have the time or tools to do it right the first time, where will you find them to do it a second time?
Old 11-27-2016, 10:21 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might as well leave them alone at this point. If they haven't broken by now, they aren't likely to break at the spec torque. Just be sure to plan on new bolts if you ever have to remove the intake in the future.

Quick Reply: intake bolts