Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust cut-out causing rattles?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust cut-out causing rattles?

Hey guys, I've been playing around with my cut-out and I've had it opened for about a week and it seems to vibrate my car more and it's causing a rattle in my drivers door and in my shifter? Just wondering if anyone else has had problems like this or if my exhaust is just a little loose or something along those lines? I love the way it sounds with it open and the extra bit of power but I hate rattles and I'm wondering if it's worth it to keep it open? It only seems to rattle when the cut-out is open and when it's closed there's not one rattle.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

i just got my cutout on yesterday, i usually dont leave it open too long, just short instances here and there, its awesome and no rattling of anything.

SO i wonder if leaving it open too long can cause the rattle?
Old 01-31-2006, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i just got mine on the other day, yea its cool for the first few days, then i started to hate it. then i put the cap on, and come to find out my welds suck *** so it sounds like one huge leak....so now i am pissed lol guess its time to fork out the money for long tubes and true duals.....
Old 01-31-2006, 05:48 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BES Stroked Nova
i just got mine on the other day, yea its cool for the first few days, then i started to hate it. then i put the cap on, and come to find out my welds suck *** so it sounds like one huge leak....so now i am pissed lol guess its time to fork out the money for long tubes and true duals.....
U got tired of it? Man i love the sound, mine is always open and its still not loud enough.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:26 PM
TECH Resident

when its shut, the pressure from the exhaust is pushing on the plate and it can loosen it enough to let some air out and itll sound like ****... any exhaust that exits underneath the car is bound to rattle something.. is it mostly at idle or light acceleration?
Old 01-31-2006, 11:52 PM
TECH Resident

It's all right at light acceleration. It doesn't rattle at idle or at cruising speeds or even at full throttle. I love the sound of it, you can hear my cam a lot better and it's a lot louder which is the way I like it but I don't want any rattles either.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have the electric cutout and its the baddest thing on this planet i love it!
Old 02-01-2006, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i guess my problem is that i dont gave a cam, or long tubes to go with the cutout...damnit lol
Old 02-01-2006, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, longtubes would help lol

I just installed the pacesetter lt's on the weekend..........sweet!
Old 02-01-2006, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have LTs ORY, and i run my cutout open all the time now. Yes my center console vibrates now, but its worse when the cutout is closed and the exhaust flows hits my restrictive flowmaster, the resistance causes everything to vibrate!
Old 02-13-2006, 12:40 AM
STA
Staging Lane

I believe it's the placement of the cutout that causes the rattles in the cabin. Mine is in the I-pipe right behind the passenger seat and when I run it open, I get all kinds of rattles. Don't get me wrong, it sounds good at WOT and idle, but anything else and it sounds like It's to the point where i'm thinking of moving it behind the axle. There's a perfect spot where the I-pipe goes into the muffler. I'm thinking this might cut down the amount of rattles and drone.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:55 AM
TECH Addict

Mine is in the factory catback just before the pipe goes over the axle and yes mine has a rattle or two with it open. The resonance of the exhaust uses the car as a bass drum effect and the sound waves jars stuff a little and creates rattles. I have shorties so its not well defined in the sound arena but does sound awesome cruizin at 3500 rpms on the interstate
Old 02-13-2006, 01:23 AM
TECH Resident

I'm going to get an electric cut-out w/ a turn down pipe this spring so I'm hoping that'll help a bit. Mine is right under the passenger seat.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The increased sound energy near the cabin is only the
stimulus, you have to find the loose material that is the
"pickup". Just like some songs are better than others at
showing you a blown speaker, the speaker is still blown.

Quick Reply: Exhaust cut-out causing rattles?