Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

confused about ram air and intake.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 04:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default confused about ram air and intake.

Here is the deal. I have a 02 WS6 and like most I love modding my cars well Im at the point where I want to mod the induction part. I have searched and searched and am more confused now than before my search begain. MY question is this is my RamAir really not Ram Air? If I was to buy a Cold air induction from SLP, Fast Toys or one of the other thousand induction kits out there would it Delete my Ram air hood , Would it become useless then? I have read all the reviews and it seems like everyone hates the SLP Flow Pac for some reason but the few who do have it on their cars love it. This is the one I am leaning towards. The reason this is confusing to me is I have read a couple of threads that say how to make your Ram Air Functional. And then I have seen on some of these kits that the air they draw is from under the car. So what happens to the air coming in the Air scoops on the hood?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I am still kind of new to the LS1 world other than the 04 GTO I had for a brief period(No modding done on this car whatso ever)
Old 11-05-2006, 04:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

theres no such thing as a true "ram air" however your "ram air" hood can be used as a CAI. Sealing the hood to the airbox will create a small "ram air" effect and feed your motor fresh cool air. Other kits like the FTRA and SLP can be used and wont make your hood worthless, but will have a better cai effect since the hood isnt sealed to the airbox. The SSRA is a really popular kit and has a ram air similar to sealing a hood to the airbox but ktis like the BGRA are the best kind. Everyone hates the SLP "flowpac" because its really a rip-off. the bellows are 100% appearance and there are better CAI's out there other than SLP's, thats why so many hate it.

Hope this helps, if you got anymore questions ask away or hell even shoot me a pm
Old 11-05-2006, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With a ws6, I would look into a BG ram Air kit.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:22 PM
TECH Veteran

I have the SLP cai and i didnt seal off the lower airbox. The way i see it is if air is coming from the bottom and from my hood it cant be hurting anything. I drove around with the seal on the airbox and off and didnt feel a difference. I just left the seal off.

In the future i will be adding the FTRA extenstion onto my SLP cai. So my cai will be longer
Old 11-05-2006, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by KrazyDan
With a ws6, I would look into a BG ram Air kit.
the BGRA stopped production last year.
to the original poster: go to the external area and look for a thread called something like is there any intrest in ram air kits. that guy is about to start making RA kits like the BG
Old 11-05-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

nevermind Its right here lol

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/600718-there-any-interest-ram-air-kit-ws6-s-still.html
Old 11-05-2006, 05:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

So are the other ram air kits better because they actually have a more direct flow of air to the intake?
Old 11-05-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

yup. the BGRA kit is by far the best but is limited to f-birds. the ssra is next and is for both cars
Old 11-06-2006, 09:08 PM
11 Second Club

I have the BGRA kit and I HIGHLY recommend it. The way it seals to the airbox is great.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:32 PM
FormerVendor

Default My thoughts

Check out the post I just made about why ram air hoods do not work. Then decide for yourself what to purchase.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

get a FTRA and a lid and call it a day...best hp mods for the induction for the "RAM AIR" mod...bottom line will give you the most hp and it does ram air but only like .3psi at like 100mph...the ftra and other ram air kits are more for reducing the negative pressure in the air box, when the valves open and close sucking in air...hit me up with a pm if you are still confused
Old 11-16-2006, 04:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

SSRA here for me. It's a 2 part box that goes around the front bumper brace to extend the ram air even further. Advertises 13rwhp on a stock car at 50mph

Old 11-16-2006, 04:18 PM
FormerVendor

The SSRA is basically a copy of the upper portion of the FTRA but with a different lower portion that is more of a scoop. I highly doubt you would see any performance difference between the two so it's a matter of personal choice.

The FTRA comes with a block off plate as well. I don't believe the SSRA does.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:09 PM
Teching In

take the rain gaurds out of your hood drill out the rivets and jiggle loose the 3 pieces there is a little bit of epoxy on them i picked up a tenth for about 5 min worth of work you wont notice it till you are rolling about 40 but made a noticable differnce on my car. also did the free ram air mod on friends 99 camaro about the same pick up unless you like spending $100 for a horse or 2 more pm if you have any ?s