Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just installed ms3 cam and.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 07:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default just installed ms3 cam and.......

well i just got done installing my ms3 longtubes lingenfelter intake bbk tb, and lid and now the car wont down shift when i mash it...... shifts normally ok maybe alil firm or so, im wondering is this due to the idle set screw being messed with? if so what can i do to fix it?
Old 03-06-2009, 07:54 PM
Launching!

it is untuned but i'd imagine it should still down shift under wot w/o that......
Old 03-06-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Probly wanna get that thing tuned w haven a cam like that in it and ask ur tune guy he will know
Old 03-06-2009, 09:11 PM
Launching!

well i have a p0121 code which is tps out of range, so ive done some re adjusting and cleared the codes, im going to drive it a bit to see what happens. Im wondering if i may have a vacuum leak possibly also....
Old 03-06-2009, 09:18 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The TPS will have everything to do with your shifting problems if you're throwing a code.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:07 PM
11 Second Club

Almost could sound like a vacuum issue as well. I had similar problems with mine after cam swap, but being that it threw a code for tps.. i'd start there.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

with that big a cam its not going to act right
the p0101 is common after changingthrottle bodies
happened to me
you can fix that when you get your tune
Old 03-07-2009, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stonemonk
well i have a p0121 code which is tps out of range, so ive done some re adjusting and cleared the codes, im going to drive it a bit to see what happens. Im wondering if i may have a vacuum leak possibly also....
You're not pulling enough vacuum at idle. The stock settings has the tps going nuts at anything above 65 kpa. Get the car tuned (STOP GOING WOT OR PUTTING THE CAR UNDER LOAD UNTIL THEN!) and have the tuner move the error reading to something like 85kpa. It will short shift at wot and will sometimes not downshift because of that code.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the info guys, here's the thing I installed the tb before the cam swap and the idle was a bit low so I hit the bump stop up a bit. Now when the cam went in I jumped it up alot more to keep the car running and that's why I think the code went off. Im going to have to check the voltage and re set it to what is supposed to be at idle. I did a bit more adjusting w/o a volt meter and now it down shifts just not the way it normally would. BTW, anyone know what the voltage should be at idle? .5v? I do think there is a vacuum leak also I'll try spraying carb cleaner or something around the manifold......
Old 03-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Launching!

Found the spec is .6v so i set it to that and it seems to be better. Other issues are the car likes to rev up and basically drive it self, ill let off the gas and it will keep accelerating sometimes and others it will be ok. Im thinking that is a vacuum leak..... i'd hate to get it tuned and find out that a vacuum leak was causing alot of the problems. If i hook a vacuum gauge i should be able to know right? What should vacuum be w/ that cam?
Old 03-07-2009, 07:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=i'd hate to get it tuned and find out that a vacuum leak was causing alot of the problems. [/QUOTE]

What part of YOU HAVE TO GET A TUNE do you not understand? A tune is a must they can tune a lot of that out, when you bumped up the set screw you moved the throttle blade and the PCM is showing throttle input from the TPS when you let off the throttle, do it right and stop adjusting thing that you dont know what they do.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A tune is definetly in order with a cam like that. Your gonna gain more power too if you get it tuned and your tuner will be able to get rid of your codes and it will run 110% better.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by beedo
What part of YOU HAVE TO GET A TUNE do you not understand? A tune is a must they can tune a lot of that out, when you bumped up the set screw you moved the throttle blade and the PCM is showing throttle input from the TPS when you let off the throttle, do it right and stop adjusting thing that you dont know what they do.
Yea he must not have got the memo.. what a jackass.

To original poster, your **** will be blown up in no time, do some research.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:00 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1Bad00SS
Yea he must not have got the memo.. what a jackass.

To original poster, your **** will be blown up in no time, do some research.

Originally Posted by beedo View Post
Ok retards, I'm willing to bet I know more than either of you. I'm well aware that it will need to be tuned, and secondly I've tuned cars myself. When you have a problem (for example a vacuum leak), YOU MUST FIX EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU GET IT TUNED! Otherwise if you try to tune out a problem it acts as a band aid.

Here's another thing that i think is absolutely hilarious, everyone on here going on about your going to blow your **** up w/o a tune.... You would have to be making serious horsepower and have a lot of detonation in order to pop a NA motor. And FYI I have a wide band on the car.

For anyone who wants to actually help me out, I've decided will cap off the pcv to eliminate that as a possible vacuum leak, if that doesn't fix it I'm going to pull out the direct port kit and put pipe plugs in the manifold ports and try again w/ starting fluid. Right now I have too many things that could be leaking.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I already told you why there is a tps code and the tranny is acting up.

It also doesn't take a lot of hp to run overly rich in the low rpm due to overlap, get gas in your oil, and then spin a bearing. But hey, it's your engine...have at it Mr. Know it all.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:24 PM
Launching!

I never asked why there was a tps code, and the trans is under control. I've run plenty of large cams on other cars untuned for long enough periods w/ no trouble. Yes, fuel can get into the oil from running overly rich and I'm aware of it and it's something to keep an eye on.

But as stated, all I'm trying to do now is find a vacuum leak, once I can pin point that and eliminate it, then I'll look into tuning. (BTW I don't claim to know everything, it's just annoying when your looking for help and people w/ no clue immediately say you need a tune or your car will blow up.....)
Old 03-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Launching!

I had a problem with my FAST TB doing something similar to what you are describing . It turned out to be the o-ring on the IAC was broken and was letting unmetered air in .... also known as a vacuum leak LOL ! It drove me nuts trying to find out what the problem was . I replaced the o-ring and things are back to normal again . Might be worth a shot to check yours out . Hope this helps .

Last edited by Zitty'sZ; 03-08-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Zitty'sZ
I had a problem with my FAST TB doing something similar to what you are describing . It turned out to be the o-ring on the IAC was broken and was letting unmetered air in .... also known as a vacume leak LOL ! It drove me nuts trying to find out what the problem was . I replaced the o-ring and things are back to normal again . Might be worth a shot to check yours out . Hope this helps .
Thanks for the info. I just pulled the pcv and found that the Y connector did have a hole in it, however after blocking off the pcv an running it like that, the problem was still there. I sprayed starting fluid along the driver side and no change in rpm. Now the passenger side is a different story, the car will almost die when i spray it along the intake gasket. Im going to try tightening the manifold bolts abit more, im thinking it could be the injectors too......
Old 03-08-2009, 04:13 PM
11 Second Club

It's funny to me that you'd even floor the car to know it's not downshifting at WOT.. obviously your foot is heavier than your brain. How about all the cam bearing shavings you're going to find in your oil after maybe 50 miles.. you're not worried about uhh spinning a bearing? And you're out there flooring it and telling us we don't have a clue.. nice, good luck.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:19 PM
Launching!

lol, ok dude....... And turns out the intake gasket is leaking so I'll be popping that off shortly and everything should be ok. Thanks to the people who actually gave me some useful insight.

Quick Reply: just installed ms3 cam and.......