Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

valve train noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 07:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valve train noise

I just put a MTI C1 cam in my car (222/222 566/566 112 lsa) with there stage two heads. Really got some valve train noise coming from it. It seems to be running ok and has a great sound out the back but under the hood it has quite abit of noise wish I could describe it all I can say is it sounds like valve train noise?
Old 11-29-2003, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Valvetrain noise is pretty normal. I hate to say that because I have not heard yours in particular, but I can say that my Z06 and every Z06 I have ever driven had a lot of valvetrain noise. It is just the nature of running a high-lift cam.
Old 11-29-2003, 08:12 AM
On The Tree

Really wish I could describe the noise its not ticking but it is coming from the valve train. I have the stock rr's and had to put some clearance in them because the were hitting the retainers the first time i tried it them got alot quieter but now has a sound Im not use to pushrods are 7.370 cuz the heads are cut 30. car has good oil pressure about 42 at idle and the rr are torque down to spec. as soon as I get those damn transmission lines to stop leaking at the trans. Im going to let it idle for alittle and see if it will quiten down alittle more. Maybe it is normal and Im just paranoid.
Old 11-29-2003, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it sounds like an old sewing machine ... It's normal with that cam.
Old 11-29-2003, 10:30 AM
TECH Resident

That's true. Mine did the same thing. It may quiet down some but it will never be totally quiet. The C1 has pretty quick ramps which doesn't help the noise issue much.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

That is another reason I'm going with someone's fully adjustable rockers, so I can adjust the valve train properly.

Here is a great test to determine is your geometry is good: Take a torque wrench and a 22 mm socket and see how many ft/lbs it takes to rotate it it over. Then go to a bone stock car and see how many ft/lbs it takes.

"Gee Mom now I wonder why my heads/cam car dynos under 400rwhp!" =P
Old 11-29-2003, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Has anyone had a problem with the stock RR hitting the retainers in this application. the stage 2 heads from MTI has titanium retainers with the double springs? saw some where when looking for info one this where they grind the stock rocker for clearance. Thanks for everyones reply.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:15 PM
On The Tree

I found the problem...Wayne with MTI if you read this please pm me. I will post what it was after I speak with them!
Old 11-30-2003, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

ttt...
Old 11-30-2003, 01:03 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Testing valve train geometry?

Originally Posted by masterdill
That is another reason I'm going with someone's fully adjustable rockers, so I can adjust the valve train properly.

Here is a great test to determine is your geometry is good: Take a torque wrench and a 22 mm socket and see how many ft/lbs it takes to rotate it it over. Then go to a bone stock car and see how many ft/lbs it takes.

"Gee Mom now I wonder why my heads/cam car dynos under 400rwhp!" =P
That is a good idea, but what about taking into consideration higher compression ratio and higher spring tension in the valve springs. Both of those will probably add 'resistance' to rotation causing a higher torque rating to rotating the crank.
Old 11-30-2003, 04:25 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How many turns of preload did you get? If it was was 1/4 turn or less, that may be your problem.
Old 11-30-2003, 04:53 PM
TECH Junkie

What Cal said how much preload you got when tq'ing them? You can get some aftermarket rockers like the yt's that will quiet it down some but some people are having issues with the Yella Terra's so run a search to make sure you arent using any of the same parts that they were.
Old 11-30-2003, 05:36 PM
10 Second Club

Rockers hitting retainers is not normal. My very first set of heads did that because they had old style(non LS1 valve stem size) retainers. I had to use lash caps with pedestal shims under the rockers and I believe I used my 7.40 Comp pushrods. We tried clearanceing the rockers first but they still hit the retainers. Clearancing or grinding on the rocker arms will weaken them and over time they will flex even more than they probably do now.
At this point you could try a different rocker arm. I have heard some of the aftermarket rockers have plenty of clearance.