Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can someone explain the difference in dry and wet sumps?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 03:51 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can someone explain the difference in dry and wet sumps?

i was looking at the new Canton Oil Pans, and all that stuff and was wondering why a dry sump is better for racing than a wet sump, honestly i have NO idea what the difference between the two is. but i do know that NASCARs use a dry sump to avoid oiling down the tracks, but i never knew why they did that.
Old 12-19-2003, 04:07 AM
Launching!

A dry sump pulls the oil out of the sump and puts it into a header tank...these are the 3 scavenge stages you can see plumbed in the pictures minus tank.

Then a pressure stage then takes the oil from the header tank and feeds the bottom end of the engine.

Advantages are better oil control (like constant oil supply at desired oil pressure and cooler oil temperatures)

Wet sump keeps the oil in the engine and picks it up by the oil pump and feeds the bottom end, advantages are less weight, easy disadvantages are potentially poor oil control

Mine has a SQP custom dry sump
ATI Custom Underdrive Balancer/HTD Dry Sump Drive
Barnes 4 Stage Dry Sump Pump
Petersen Dry Sump Tank

Old 12-19-2003, 05:42 AM
Banned

hmmm, first that's an insane setup you have there. but a few questions about it...
1. is the oil filter in the red pump, or remotely located somewhere else?
2. is the silver pulley your UD puller, or is there another piece to that?seems VERY small for a crank pulley?
3. seems like there is a bit of slack in that belt, is there a tensioner for it?
4. how much does a setup like that cost, and do any of the sponsors to the right sell something like that?
Old 12-19-2003, 05:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's also a power gain due to less parasitic loss from all the oil that splashes around in a wet sump setup. Also, less airation/bubbling of the oil. They are great for track use because if you go into a long sweeping corner, you don't have to worry about losing oil pressure like in a wet sump.
Old 12-19-2003, 09:22 AM
Staging Lane

Not to mention the ability to run many, many quarts of oil and the ease of cooling it.
Old 12-19-2003, 02:12 PM
Banned

how much more capacity does one of these setups generally have than a stock oiling system?
Old 12-19-2003, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

10-12 quarts is what I have seen. The pulley on the ati crank are a two piece deal. That picture does not have the crank pulley bolted on yet. Not really a set up for street use because of the cost and complexity.
Old 12-19-2003, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

As stated the the dry sump pan is really just "catch" for the circulated oil. A series of scavange pickups pull the oil out and to the external oil tankOil Tank. Tanks are designed to hold 10 to 20 qts. Nascar is limited to the size. Another stage pumps the oil throughout the engine and with this style of pump oil pressure can be controlled precisely. Dry sump pumps also now have 5 and stages dedicated to pulling vacum. . .better ring seal. Going from a wet sump to a dry sump is horsepower, how much depends on the engine. Our new dry sump pan design over the old style has equated to 20 to 40HP more in power gain for various drag racing and circle track applications. That kind of horsepower gain is huge when there is Millions of sponsor dollars on the line.

Chris Straub
Stef's Performance Products