Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cleaning aluminum block

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 06:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cleaning aluminum block

Any suggestions on ways of restoring aluminum engine parts back to factory delivered look. Has anyone painted an LS1. I'm transplanting an LS1 into a 62 vette.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Get you some Eagle One Mag Cleaner and spray the engine down and it will foam up simular to hydrogen peroxide on a cut. Hose it off with the water hose, the only thing it will do that may not be what you are looking for is the nicely machined surfaces like the end of the block it will bleach out white.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:26 PM
TECH Veteran

I use "ALL" laundry soap in a bucket with water (I also use this on rims/tire, tranny, rearend, floor, etc....). Grab a brush and go to town. When you get all the "gunk" off the block then just hose it down and then blow dry it with an air compressor so the iron liners don't rust and you don't leave water in oil passages.

As far as paint on aluminum, it just does not work (long term). It will stick in some places and come off in others. If you REALLY want the block to be some color, get a hold of a really good powder coat shop and have them powder coat it. It won't hurt the block as the temp they use is about 500degrees F. People powder coat aircraft engines, brake calipers, and trannys all the time. With that said, I would not powder coat it as I "think" it will run cooler being bare aluminum than coated. It also is easier to see cracks/leaks/etc on a clean block (I think).
Old 10-01-2004, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

Wire wheel. Cleans and shines at the same time.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:07 AM
On The Tree

Anodising would look great!
Old 10-01-2004, 10:13 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the responses. I used Mag wheel cleaner before, the most potent variety for non painted wheels, and it left aluminum w/ a dull gray color not that fresh out of the mold look. What about media blasting say w/ walnut shells or plastic?
Old 10-01-2004, 10:25 AM
IMD
Banned

glass bead would be awesome, it would look brand new. you woul djust have to be very careful and get every single grain of that sand back out.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:26 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can take it to a automotive machine shop and have them tank the part. The big deal is getting the gunk out of the pores.

The strong Acid based aluminum wash will clean some parts. Like Eagle 1 - A wheel cleaner.

Once hte part is clean you can clear coat it, paint it with aluminum cast blast spray paint, or a basic aluminum color, or you can powder coat it.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I used some stuff called Simple Green to degrease my block. I just sprayed it on, let it sit for a few minutes then used a pressure washer to rinse it. I had to use a scotch brite pad in a few places, but it didn't take long to get the block looking good again. Click the link in my sig and look at the pics on the last pages.

Quick Reply: cleaning aluminum block