Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam overlap causes loss of compression?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam overlap causes loss of compression?

How many degrees of overlap can you have before you have to start worrying about bleeding off compression?
Old 06-15-2005, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

static compression ratio won't change. at low rpm, anything lower than about 112 degrees LSA will cause a noticable difference
Old 06-15-2005, 12:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Basicaly you want no more than +/- ~8.50 DCR
Old 06-15-2005, 01:04 PM
11 Second Club

The amount of compression lost due to overlap is dependent upon when the overlap occurs relative to where the piston is during the compression stroke. In other words, late overlap during the compression upstroke will cause more bleed-off. So valve timing events are critical to determine what the dynamic compression will be.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Thank you for emancipating
Old 06-15-2005, 04:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Thank you for emancipating
Your welcome ... I think (now where is that dictionary)
Old 06-15-2005, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nuzee
The amount of compression lost due to overlap is dependent upon when the overlap occurs relative to where the piston is during the compression stroke. In other words, late overlap during the compression upstroke will cause more bleed-off. So valve timing events are critical to determine what the dynamic compression will be.
I'm confused with the terms used in this thread.

Overlap occurs when the exhaust is still closing and the intake STARTS to open, right? By the time the piston reaches BDC at the end of the intake stroke, and starts up on the compression stroke, the exhaust valve has been closed a long time and overlap isn't a factor.

The later the intake closes during the COMPRESSION stroke, the more compression is bled off, at least at cranking speed. The intake valve closing (IVC) point is what is used to determing Dynamic Compression Ratio (DCR).

I think this late IVC is what everyone here is referring to, not "overlap" when both valves are open. Right?

Overlap of exhaust/intake does not have a direct bearing on IVC which controls DCR. Of course, if you changed the overlap by altering the LSA and kept the same lobe configuration, you could change IVC and DCR, but that would be an indirect result of varying the overlap. Time to stop.

Not trying to be the grammar police, but specific words mean specific things in engine-speak. You could get pretty confused if you mixed them up. At least you'd get me confused...which is sometimes a short trip.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn i think you just rephrased my question with the correct terminology, lol
Old 06-15-2005, 06:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
I'm confused with the terms used in this thread.

Overlap occurs when the exhaust is still closing and the intake STARTS to open, right? By the time the piston reaches BDC at the end of the intake stroke, and starts up on the compression stroke, the exhaust valve has been closed a long time and overlap isn't a factor.

The later the intake closes during the COMPRESSION stroke, the more compression is bled off, at least at cranking speed. The intake valve closing (IVC) point is what is used to determing Dynamic Compression Ratio (DCR).

I think this late IVC is what everyone here is referring to, not "overlap" when both valves are open. Right?

Overlap of exhaust/intake does not have a direct bearing on IVC which controls DCR. Of course, if you changed the overlap by altering the LSA and kept the same lobe configuration, you could change IVC and DCR, but that would be an indirect result of varying the overlap. Time to stop.

Not trying to be the grammar police, but specific words mean specific things in engine-speak. You could get pretty confused if you mixed them up. At least you'd get me confused...which is sometimes a short trip.
You are correct! I used the wrong term. Thanks for the correction.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BBADWS6
Damn i think you just rephrased my question with the correct terminology, lol
(blush) You noticed.

Any IVC after BDC, and they all are, theoretically bleeds off compression. at least at some engine speeds. That's why DCR is lower than Static Compression Ratio (SCR), of course.

So you design the SCR and IVC point to get the DCR you want.

CAM? (Clear As Mud)
The pun was intended.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would you care about loosing compression due to overlap?
Put in a big stick and when the tach is at 6000 and climbing fast, you will never miss it.

Quick Reply: Cam overlap causes loss of compression?