Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help identifying a camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help identifying a camshaft

on the camshaft itself, it reads: lunati spf-1 t5qa 112 230385(S) or it could be 230305(S) Anyone know the specs?
Old 07-02-2005, 08:59 AM
Teching In

I would drop an email or call to Lunati themselves. That way you get exact info...
Old 07-02-2005, 09:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I looked at Lunati site and they only advertise 55001LUN>55009LUN as cams.
Perhaps this is a custom grind by them
Old 07-02-2005, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pewter T/A
on the camshaft itself, it reads: lunati spf-1 t5qa 112 230385(S) or it could be 230305(S) Anyone know the specs?
Thats the slower than Brian cam LOL.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mellowyellow02
Thats the slower than Brian cam LOL.
Thanks for all the info guys, I called lunati, but they can't identify it either. It's a custom cam.

Slower than Brian cam? we'll see soon enough..........
Old 07-02-2005, 10:51 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the info guys, I called lunati, but they can't identify it either. It's a custom cam.

Slower than Brian cam? we'll see soon enough..........
If that's the case, your only choice is to contact someone with a machine that can read the lobes. I think its called a Cam Doctor? I know Lingenfelter's shop has one. For $39 or so they'll "read" your cam and tell you what the specs are.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Josh-'98 Z28
If that's the case, your only choice is to contact someone with a machine that can read the lobes. I think its called a Cam Doctor? I know Lingenfelter's shop has one. For $39 or so they'll "read" your cam and tell you what the specs are.
Thanks, I might have to do that. I know that you can use a micrometer to read the lift and that you can use a degree wheel to read the duration, but the latter seems complicated.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 123 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Cam Doctor

I've got a high definition Cam Doctor here if you can't find someone locally. I also have specialized software to process the Cam Doctor data providing durations at various lift points of both lifter and valve, as well as quality of grind using various high def graphs.

Steve

Thanks, I might have to do that. I know that you can use a micrometer to read the lift and that you can use a degree wheel to read the duration, but the latter seems complicated.
760-630-0450
web: www.raceenginedevelopment.com/
e-mail: race-engine-development@***.net
Old 07-03-2005, 11:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve - Race Eng
I've got a high definition Cam Doctor here if you can't find someone locally. I also have specialized software to process the Cam Doctor data providing durations at various lift points of both lifter and valve, as well as quality of grind using various high def graphs.

Steve
What do you charge for that service?
Old 07-04-2005, 12:27 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 123 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Camshaft analysis

The charge depends on how much detail you are looking for. I can process one intake and one exhaust lobe to give you the duration at .050" and the lobe spread for twenty bucks. More detail, processing the above data through my high end software runs fifty bucks. With that you will get durations at .006", .020", .050", .100", .200", and .300" lifts at both lifter and valve. It is also possible to check all the lobes and get a printout of the deviations of durations, lifts, lobe spreads for the entire cam.

The Cam Doctor is a very valuable tool for checking the quality of grind as well as the durations. My high end software (very necessary) plots base circle run out, acceleration curves, jerks, etc. What looks like a good cam is often found to be defective in either manufacture or design. You can't grind a good cam on a worn out machine or on a machine with an out of balance grinding wheel!

Steve

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
What do you charge for that service?
760-630-0450
web: www.raceenginedevelopment.com/
e-mail: race-engine-development@***.net
Old 07-04-2005, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Steve - Race Eng
The charge depends on how much detail you are looking for. I can process one intake and one exhaust lobe to give you the duration at .050" and the lobe spread for twenty bucks. More detail, processing the above data through my high end software runs fifty bucks. With that you will get durations at .006", .020", .050", .100", .200", and .300" lifts at both lifter and valve. It is also possible to check all the lobes and get a printout of the deviations of durations, lifts, lobe spreads for the entire cam.

The Cam Doctor is a very valuable tool for checking the quality of grind as well as the durations. My high end software (very necessary) plots base circle run out, acceleration curves, jerks, etc. What looks like a good cam is often found to be defective in either manufacture or design. You can't grind a good cam on a worn out machine or on a machine with an out of balance grinding wheel!

Steve
Thank you, I might have to send it to you if I can't get the specs locally. I did find out that the cam might have been sold at AMS in Arlington. Are they still in business?
Old 07-05-2005, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you, I might have to send it to you if I can't get the specs locally. I did find out that the cam might have been sold at AMS in Arlington. Are they still in business?
no they went down almost two years ago.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mellowyellow02
no they went down almost two years ago.
Really? My luck. I got the specs finally. Thanks everyone.