Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T-Rex application

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 06:23 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T-Rex application

I have an idiot over on a local board who cannot come to terms that the T-Rex camshaft was designed for optimal use on stock heads and pistons. That using an aftermarket head no longer makes an optimal package. That the camshaft is a daily driver cam (anything can be daily driven if you can tolerate it), but in reality we know it was designed as an all out race cam for a stock head car. Normally I would cram post after post of information down his throat, but the archives have been whiped clean.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

The T-ReX was designed to fit in a car with stock heads, but that doesn't mean it performs best with stock heads.

Josh
Old 03-15-2006, 06:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Josh
The T-ReX was designed to fit in a car with stock heads, but that doesn't mean it performs best with stock heads.

Josh
This is a known, I run an AFR205 with mine, but the T-Rex is no longer the optimal cam when used with an aftermarket head like my AFR205s for example. There is an optimal cam for the AFR205's, and it is not the T-Rex, although it is a great package on my 383.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:32 AM
Teching In

Just because the cam was made to "FIT" with stock heads does not mean it is not good to use with aftermarket heads.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:39 AM
TECH Resident

Goofy argument. Just let it go, no amount of arguing will convince some people. Or hit him in the temple with the t-rex.

I agree that the t-rex is one of the best cams for a stock head car, but a t-rex + heads is going to make even more HP. But with heads, there are better cams available. Is that what you're trying to tell this guy? If that's not what you're saying...I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:31 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by flyin red TA
Goofy argument. Just let it go, no amount of arguing will convince some people. Or hit him in the temple with the t-rex.

I agree that the t-rex is one of the best cams for a stock head car, but a t-rex + heads is going to make even more HP. But with heads, there are better cams available. Is that what you're trying to tell this guy? If that's not what you're saying...I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.
You got it right.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:46 AM
10 Second Club

I absolutely love my T-Rex and ET 215 combo.
Yes, it was designed to get the best ET with stock heads that means the largest cam that will fit under stock heads and still have all the other correct valve events to accomplish its goals.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:34 PM
Teching In

So then what is the best cam for performance for a car that has Stage 1 heads with hand smoothed ports, competition valve job, 918 CompCams springs/titanium retainers, stock LS6 intake/TB, Dynatech LT Headers.

Ray
Old 03-15-2006, 01:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ray South
So then what is the best cam for performance for a car that has Stage 1 heads with hand smoothed ports, competition valve job, 918 CompCams springs/titanium retainers, stock LS6 intake/TB, Dynatech LT Headers.

Ray
Talk to a cam manufacturer, or even some the veteran people on here that chat it up in the advanced section. Off the shelf cams are great, they take a lot of guess work out of cam timing events and such. But with that being said, a cam designed around a head with poor flow carachteristics at low lift is not going to work best with a head that flows excellent in low lift. You would get more power with a cam designed specificly for that better flowing head. Also such advice is not given for free, you will most likely pay for it along with the purchase of said cam.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

HAHAHAHAHAA!!! I cant believe you made a thread about this.
Josh is right on with what he said. I was saying the exact same thing.
I showed this idiot many posts from here that states that the T-rex can be used for daily driving with a good tune. Obviously some people dont get it.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Check this thread out please.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=T-rex

And this one.........

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=T-rex

Last edited by tooquick2beslo; 03-15-2006 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tooquick2beslo

It says the same thing I have been saying all along, it is not a daily driver cam. Because one guy says he finds it to be driveable for him does not make it a daily driven cam. You have several posts from others who actually have the cam stating the obvious, that it is not a cam for a daily driver, but can be made streetable with a good tune. Streetable and daily driven are completely different. It is a race cam not a daily driver cam, get it through your thick head.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:44 PM
Launching!

Funny this guy says the same thing as I have been saying for the past two months, and even has been seconded that it is what it is, a race cam for stock heads.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....93&postcount=4

In both of those posts you have quoted supports everything I have said, you got two or three people saying it is a daily driver cam in their car. the vast mojority will tell you it is not a daily driver cam and was not meant to be.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:45 PM

HAHAHAHAHAA!!! I cant believe you made a thread about this.
Josh is right on with what he said. I was saying the exact same thing.
I showed this idiot many posts from here that states that the T-rex can be used for daily driving with a good tune. Obviously some people dont get it.

I know exactly what you mean. I get so sick and tired of people telling me a Sherman tank is not a good daily driver. You're right obviously some people don't get it.

Ben T.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok obviously I have to spell it out for you again.

Read this post:
I don't understand people bitching about driveability issues with the trex cam...

I borrowed one of my friends car for a couple of days he had trex + 4.10s....and dyno/street tune that him and a few other people put together for it...

Let it sit warm up for a few min before driving and your off....the only issue I came across was really slow highway speeds in 6th gear....

The only thing that would prevent me from being able to drive that car ever day was the exhaust setup....bullets right off the collectors and no cross over.

I have another friend with the trex and forged 346...with a quiet exhaut he drives this car everyday in the summer with no issues...even takes it on trips.

I think with a GOOD tune...and the right gearing you are all set....the MPG went down but with 430rwhp from stock heads, cam and bolt ons I would be willing to loose some MPG."

Now read this one. A moderator for this site. He definitly knows what he is talking about. Please read it slowly to make sure it seeps in that cranium of yours.

well since i have had the cam the longest of anyone and i have done everything with the car you can imagine ima put in my imput, the only time you get surge is under 2000rpm with a load on my car, and that is because it hasnt been tuned for drivability, on the interstate at 1800rpm in 6th cruising i dont get any surge, as far as no low end i could blow away a set of 325 et radials from 2500rpms so its got all the low end i require, i daily drove my car for 4 months in heavy baton rouge traffic every morning and afternoon going to and from LSU, never regreted having it for a minute. i was getting very respectable gas mileage for such a huge cam and considering the car runs 10's with the swap of the rear tires. there are very good aftermarket heads out now that will bolt on without flycutting using this cam.

oh and 4.10's were fine but 4.56's rule on the street
Old 03-15-2006, 08:54 PM

I wonder if he quit driving it after four months for something a little more docile. That makes you wonder.

Maybe he'll chime in here.

Ben T.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:55 PM
Launching!

Ok obviously I have to spell it out for you again.

Read this post:

Now read this one. A moderator for this site. He definitly knows what he is talking about. Please read it slowly to make sure it seeps in that cranium of yours.
You quote a post from guy who does not own a car with it and does not drive it every day, and another guy who states specificly that his has not been tuned for drivability, on set of 28in tall tires, and has a set of 4.56 gears. Try going with someone who drives it everyday, owns the car, and is not on an obviuos race set up. Makes a huge difference when posting facts.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:08 PM

It looks like this is sort of a personal argument here, so I hate to get in the middle of it. That "moderator's" car spoken of may shed a little light on this. I'd certainly say that a TRex is rather large for daily driving, but this guy drove his for 4 months "daily". This was also before the advent of real-time tuning. So, if this car had no drivabililty tuning and now at TR they can tune on the fly- it may actually be even more streetable than this example with a GOOD tune.

I'm not convinced that I'd want to drive on every day though. We'd all have to agree it's extrem especially if it's your only car.

Ben T.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BigBake
You quote a post from guy who does not own a car with it and does not drive it every day, and another guy who states specificly that his has not been tuned for drivability, on set of 28in tall tires, and has a set of 4.56 gears. Try going with someone who drives it everyday, owns the car, and is not on an obviuos race set up. Makes a huge difference when posting facts.

He drove it, why does it matter ? He drove it that day all day. How long does he have to drive it, a year ?

The other guy is a moderator here and it wasnt even tuned and he was driving it around town. That ought to tell you something right there.
He was without a tune and still rolling around town in it. I agree that he needs a tune to get the full benefits out of it.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't understand what the issue with daily driving the trex is....

With ENOUGH gear and proper tuning it can be daily driven...I live in Buffalo NY I have two friends who daily driver their trex cammed cars all summer...including road trips...

I have borrowed my friends car for over a week...taken it on local driving...highway...to and from work.

It was perfectly fine...yes the car lopes...and has some loss of low end...im not pulling a trailer so that makes no diffrence.

In Buffalo you can drive your car 7 months out of the year unless you get some snow tires....

Who doesnt like lope?
Who doesnt like 400+ rwhp from a cam+boltons?

The only major issue I could see is gas mileage....but if your trying to mod your Fbody to win races at the track and on the street your gas mileage will decrease regardless.

You drive a Fbody stop being sallys