Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

TF 235 PatG Cam vs AFR 230 Mamo Cam ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TF 235 PatG Cam vs AFR 230 Mamo Cam ?

Alright fellas, im trying to plan out my setup for my LQ9 408 build that im gettin ready to start after X-MAS, The short block is being built by LME, i just cnt decide on the TF 235 w. ported Fast 102 with a Pat G custom specd cam or the AFR 230 head with Mamofied ported Fast 102 and a custom specd cam from Tony....Its going to be mainly ran NA but i will probably occasionally through a 150 shot on it . Help me decide fellas, not too worried about having to use aftermarket rockers for the TF's because ill be upgrading them regardless...When the current 346 comes out the T56 is being sent off for Faceplating for sure....Help me decide LS gurus
Old 10-08-2011, 02:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1nastyss
Alright fellas, im trying to plan out my setup for my LQ9 408 build that im gettin ready to start after X-MAS, The short block is being built by LME, i just cnt decide on the TF 235 w. ported Fast 102 with a Pat G custom specd cam or the AFR 230 head with Mamofied ported Fast 102 and a custom specd cam from Tony....Its going to be mainly ran NA but i will probably occasionally through a 150 shot on it . Help me decide fellas, not too worried about having to use aftermarket rockers for the TF's because ill be upgrading them regardless...When the current 346 comes out the T56 is being sent off for Faceplating for sure....Help me decide LS gurus
I must have missed something. I thought PatG and Tony worked together with the head and cam set-ups. FWIW Pat G did my cam for my 408 with Ls3 heads. It has been a 6.82@ 102 in the 1/8 on pump gas with a nitrous cam and converter. But I am a big fan of AFR heads so that would be a hard choice.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:44 PM
TECH Resident

I thought so myself, As much as i wanna go with a single plane intake, im not ready to cut up my cowl, i know Tony is the man with reworking the afr's and porting the fast intakes
Old 10-08-2011, 03:55 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pat and I are good friends and we do work together on numerous projects....

We may have slightly different ideas when it comes to cam selection but poll ten people and you will probably get ten different responses.

Nasty....if you haven't seen this build I did a year or so ago you should take a look....it highlights the potential of these AFR 230's and also highlights how a good combination is so important. I can help you with both obviously and I have some new tricks up my sleeve making my ported 102's that much better.

I bet a 102 I was to port today would make 10 more HP to the tires with the same combination....

Anyway....check out this thread....try to copy this package as much as you can afford to

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...is-dyno-s.html

Cheers,
Tony
Old 10-08-2011, 04:00 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR

We may have slightly different ideas when it comes to cam selection but poll ten people and you will probably get ten different responses.

Nasty....if you haven't seen this build I did a year or so ago you should take a look....it highlights the potential of these AFR 230's and also highlights how a good combination is so important. I can help you with both obviously and I have some new tricks up my sleeve making my ported 102's that much better.

I bet a 102 I was to port today would make 10 more HP to the tires with the same combination....

Anyway....check out this thread....try to copy this package as much as you can afford to

Cheers,
Tony
WHAT!?? Do i have to send you my intake back now??
Old 10-08-2011, 04:15 PM
TECH Resident

Believe me Tony , ive read that build like 20 times, lol. I would love to try a setup like that on my 408 with your newer port work on the 102 and maybe a little different cam.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:25 PM
10 Second Club

Cheers,
Tony
I may try a set with a single plane on my 408. I'm about sick of the issues that keep poping up from these LS3 heads. It keeps eating valve seals. I dont know if its the guides or what. They seem to be fine . If I have to pull them I may just try a set of these.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:34 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Cheers,
Tony
Holy Friole! Those are monster big block numbers. I cannot image the fun the go pedal provides with that motor.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:25 PM
TECH Resident

That is definently a sick build, I'm really liking this setup a lot, may take a little longer to get everything together, but it would totally be worth it
Old 10-08-2011, 07:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd go with the TFS heads but with an EPS Cam. Just my .02 with a fast 102 no doubt.

But I'd tell you that for anyone to charge close to 500.00 hard earned American dollars for just opening up the intake ports to closely match yours is damn near robbery to ME. I have one and there is really NOTHING to port BUT the intake ports. When I placed the lower shell on my LPE Ls3 heads the port was right on, only on one side did I have to removed some plastic with a dremel and help from chris1313.
If you don't believe me about the EPS cams look for anthonyws6 or 98bluecamaross and you'll see they are making damn near 500 on 346 cubes NA, SBE with milled heads and a("chris1313ified" with a dremel and 30 minutes of your time) fast 102.
Good luck on your build bud looks like next year will be our year of the stokers lol
Keep us posted here

Last edited by litle88; 10-09-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:36 AM
TECH Resident

No doubt buddy, looking forward to it for sure
Old 10-10-2011, 02:43 AM
Flow Wizard

Originally Posted by litle88
But I'd tell you that for anyone to charge close to 500.00 hard earned American dollars for just opening up the intake ports to closely match yours is damn near robbery to ME. I have one and there is really NOTHING to port BUT the intake ports. When I placed the lower shell on my LPE Ls3 heads the port was right on, only on one side did I have to removed some plastic with a dremel and help from chris1313.
If you don't believe me about the EPS cams look for anthonyws6 or 98bluecamaross and you'll see they are making damn near 500 on 346 cubes NA, SBE with milled heads and a("chris1313ified" with a dremel and 30 minutes of your time) fast 102.
You need to check this thread out....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-102-fast.html

When properly porting these 102 intakes there are obvious place to remove plastic and not so obvious. The areas you refer to are the obvious of course.

You get what you pay for....but admittedly the work I do caters to the guys that can justify spending a little more so they don't leave anything on the table. The results from my work has been documented for years (massive amounts of independent results and feedback....its not smoke and mirrors).

If you dont want to bother opening that thread I linked above here is a pic of about 80% of what comes out of a FAST intake I port (the rest is on me and on the floor). Lately I have found some even further gains requiring even more material removal....I would venture a guess that pile would grow by 25% if I were to try and collect most of the chips from an intake I would complete today. You would need a pretty kick azz dremel to remove this type of material....not to mention remove it from all the right places....that's where a flowbench is invaluable.

Its not as easy as it looks I assure you.....and some of what you pay for is the R&D invested in sorting out exactly where to cut....and exactly where not to cut.

-Tony
Old 10-10-2011, 05:03 AM
LS6
TECH Regular

This is good information
Old 10-10-2011, 08:30 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Its not as easy as it looks I assure you.....and some of what you pay for is the R&D invested in sorting out exactly where to cut....and exactly where not to cut.

-Tony
I will share with everyone that I ported heads and custom TPI intakes back in the day. I watched many would be porters bring their work in and test it on the flow bench. Some of them were even local heroes with a following. Their results varied from worse than stock to moderate improvement. None of them ever achieved the results that a top notch porter who worked with a flow bench can achieve.

With that said, I have even seen guys who owned a flow bench who were still not very good. Porting is an art and a science. Some people just have a skill and an aptitude that others do not. Those special few are worth the extra money if you value top notch results.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:55 PM
12 Second Club

Tony is that residue from a FAST 102?

Do you have pics of one of your mammofied intakes?
Old 10-10-2011, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

Im pretty set on the afr 230 heads ,ported fast 102 and custom sped cam from Tony, ive talked to him before on the phone, he is an awesome guy with alot of knowledge, it will all be worth the extra money, im doin it right the first time.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:08 AM
Flow Wizard

Tony is that residue from a FAST 102?

Do you have pics of one of your mammofied intakes?
Yes it is.....check the link I provided in the top of post 12.

The 102's I work on lately have even more material removed and its hard taking photographs of the inside of a dark plastic intake runner but you will get the general idea when you look into that thread.

There is a **** ton of plastic on my workbench when I'm done (well most of it falling down the grates of the down draft bench I built specifically to do porting work on).

Bottom line....there are ported FAST's and there are ported FAST's.....no different than heads.....it all reads the same and looks the same on paper and plastered on a message board but the way any of it performs can vary greatly. The are area's of that intake I barely breathe on and others I get very aggressive with.....pictures dont quite do it justice.

That's not to say I didn't run into my share of "Ooooops"....as in start working on another intake cause you ground a hole in this one. Goes with the turf....ultimately that manifold jut became an R&D piece I could really get aggressive and experiment with (the key to the work is flowtesting the intake as an extension of the cylinder heads intake port....which is exactly what it is).

Many a late evening staring at the set-up below....sometimes very frustrated and pissed off....other times elated....which also goes with the turf. Your not always a hero....you have to work for it once the easy/obvious stuff is handled.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:16 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IH8FORD
......I'm about sick of the issues that keep popping up from these LS3 heads. It keeps eating valve seals. I dont know if its the guides or what. They seem to be fine.......
Anybody else having these issues with valve seals on LS3 heads? I ask because I am running LS3 heads and want to know about potential issues in my future. Did these heads get worked on?
Old 10-11-2011, 08:32 AM
12 Second Club

Gotcha?

Just trying to see some of your work, so do you open them up or do you do the porting from under the intake?
The way we did mine is by first placing the lower shell on the heads to see where I need to remove material. Then after matching the ports we placed the runners on the lower shells and matched them to the lower shell.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

Gotcha?

Just trying to see some of your work, so do you open them up or do you do the porting from under the intake?
The way we did mine is by first placing the lower shell on the heads to see where I need to remove material. Then after matching the ports we placed the runners on the lower shells and matched them to the lower shell.
Good question, but from what Tony told me , the Fast matches up pretty close to the AFR's out of the box with minimal work to port match , im sure others would take a little more work

Quick Reply: TF 235 PatG Cam vs AFR 230 Mamo Cam ?