Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering springs

so i have a 00 firehawk with full exhaust and a 3" ORY, so its pretty low to the ground already, was looking into getting some lowering springs but wanted the least amount of drop , what do you guys have in mind? if nothing else i'll just get a pro kit
thanks
Old 11-26-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Addict

pm'd you
Old 11-26-2008, 11:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard before that BMRs don't usually lower a full inch, but I can't say if thats true or not. Strano is pretty much the best there is though and lowers around the same amount as a pro-kit for about the same price. I have had both on my car.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Of note, or springs lower very similar to the LT1 Pro-kit, which are very different than the LS1 Pro-kit (just for clarity).

I don't believe in slamming the car. Here are some various links to pics of Strano springs on different cars:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedi...hoot-well.html

http://https://ls1tech.com/forums/at...s-img_0955.jpg

https://ls1tech.com/forums/9341919-post7.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ore-after.html

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-28-2008, 06:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

What are you wanting the lowering springs for? Just for the lowered look? Handling? Other? If you are wanting to just lower the car about 1/2" then get some Koni's and put the stock springs on the lower perch up front and do the hose mod to the rear springs. If that's not as low as you are wanting then a good 1" drop spring is Hotchkis. They ride pretty decent, handle well, and hold up without sagging. If you are OK dropping the car a bit further then the strano's are amazing for handling. They feel pretty similar to the Hotchkis but I find the linear spring rate more predictable and the extra .2 drop to look better (also the lighter weight isn't bad either ). Any lower than that and you aren't exactly lowering a little bit.

Extra info.
If you don't put koni's on with any of the other setups, then I would tend to say the stock springs on the lower perch of the Koni's would handle best. Springs help out quite a bit but shocks do more than any single thing you will do to the cars suspension.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

will the hotchkis or strano springs work with factory shocks?
Old 12-03-2008, 10:45 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Trick question.. And you can expand to ask "do any lowering springs work with factory shocks?".

Do they work? Yes. Are they ideal being paired together? No, because the factory shocks aren't very good for factory springs. As you add time, miles, and the like they only get more sub-standard. Add stiffer lowering springs that want not less, but more damping control to give you a good result on the ride/handling side and it's not a great match for anyone who cares how the car actually works vs. just how it looks.

It's common for those that make or sell springs to tell you "they work fine". They can't really believe it, or their particular definition of fine is different than mine. Can you do it? Absolutely. Should you? Well, it's kind of like slapping a big cam in stock heads with stock valve springs. Will it work? Yes, but not nearly as well as it could or should.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-03-2008, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

i have konis already on stock springs but dont want the wheel gap, i think im getting strano spings
Old 12-03-2008, 02:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

If you already have shocks, then springs are a no brainer if you want the car lower..... You have the best shocks in place already.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Trick question.. And you can expand to ask "do any lowering springs work with factory shocks?".

Do they work? Yes. Are they ideal being paired together? No, because the factory shocks aren't very good for factory springs. As you add time, miles, and the like they only get more sub-standard. Add stiffer lowering springs that want not less, but more damping control to give you a good result on the ride/handling side and it's not a great match for anyone who cares how the car actually works vs. just how it looks.

It's common for those that make or sell springs to tell you "they work fine". They can't really believe it, or their particular definition of fine is different than mine. Can you do it? Absolutely. Should you? Well, it's kind of like slapping a big cam in stock heads with stock valve springs. Will it work? Yes, but not nearly as well as it could or should.
Thanks for the advice!