Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Weird suspension issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 07:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Weird suspension issue?

Lately, when I'm driving my car, the v6 firebird, the rear of the car feels like it's shimmying around. I literally feel like I'm all over the road and it's kinda scary sometimes when it's raining. It's weird. I did put a new rear end in 2 years ago, could loose bolts be causing this? The bolts feel okay, but maybe there is something I'm missing?

If anyone has any idea what I could do to make the car drive straight and stop shimmying, I'd appreciate it!
Old 12-10-2008, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When was the last time you had the front end aligned? Have the "Toe" checked and adjusted if needed. I run mine with 1/32nd of "Toe-in"
Old 12-10-2008, 08:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
When was the last time you had the front end aligned? Have the "Toe" checked and adjusted if needed. I run mine with 1/32nd of "Toe-in"
Ok, I'll check into that, but to be fair, it feels like the rear of the car is swaggering around. Could the issue you described cause the problems I'm having?
Old 12-11-2008, 06:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I might be oversimplifying, but sometimes it's the little things. Have you checked your lug nut torque (100 ft/lbs) and/or your tire pressure?
Old 12-11-2008, 08:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i always check mine. 100 ftlbs torque, that may be your only problem. i agree with leadfoot.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:31 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

The word "lately" caught my attention. Seems this is something that wasn't always there.... First thing is first, you need to make sure nothing is loose, and the LCA bushings are not falling apart.

My bet is the shocks have just simply had it. Trashed shocks will cause a huge amount of instability and wandering. And they can also cause a shimmy or vibration when they can no longer do a good job of keeping the tire in contact with the road.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-11-2008, 08:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks Sam! I think you nailed it. I'll have to invest in some new suspension parts then, huh!
Old 12-12-2008, 07:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
yeah i always check mine. 100 ftlbs torque, that may be your only problem. i agree with leadfoot.
Exactly...you never know, you park at the mall, at work, or some other public place, and there dozens of jealous basta**s that will screw with your car, "just because". Yes, I agree that shocks and bushings do wear out, or become dislodged, but that is usually a gradual thing, you notice that the car feels a little different, then a little more....

Hopefully, you check it out before "a little more" becomes, LOOK OUT, here comes the guard rail!!
Old 12-12-2008, 11:34 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
Thanks Sam! I think you nailed it. I'll have to invest in some new suspension parts then, huh!
I try. This is why I spend so much time talking with people vs. just randomly tossing out ideas. As much as I'm here to sell parts, I'm more interested in building good relationships with customers. And I believe getting the right part to fix their issue is the most important thing, even if it's not a huge order.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!