Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

need some advice on waxing please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 01:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some advice on waxing please!

I want to shine my car up this winter in the garage. I see people saying they are claying and then waxing. Dont know much about all this just want a good waxing and a good shine what are the best steps and i do not want to use a buffer because of lack of knowing how to use one and burning up some spots. Just want the best hand waxing stuff i can use thanks in advance.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I made this thread. see if it helps.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...lkthrough.html

Claybar what it does it removes dirt, grime, and bumps from your paint. Basically takes all the contaminats off the paint and smooths it up again.

Wax, well, that is a big debate. I love NXT so i will let other people chime in about that.

before i put my car away for winter i washed my car with dawn. i used Meguiars Step 1 which is a cleaner wax. It removes fine scratches and swirls. I applied this all by hand, and took it off by hand. Then i used Megiuars NXT wax. I applied it with a buffer using a microfiber towel, removed it with the same buffer using a terry cloth towel, then i used my microfiber towel and polished it by hand jsut to make sure i got all the wax off

Here are my results:

Old 12-28-2008, 07:14 PM
Launching!

ok thanks for the advice
Old 12-28-2008, 10:00 PM
Launching!

I agree....my car has 2200 miles on it so obviously it doesnt see much dirt but after a while from sitting in the garage i can feel it getting a lil rough. I've had success with the Mother's claybar and Meguiar's NXT wax. I use the liquid wax but it doesnt seem to last that long...ive always been a fan of the paste wax but thats just me. Prolly switch to it when i run out since that stuff aint cheap. But the claybar does a great job of taking the crap off ur car then protect it with wax. I've used the step 1 like mentioned above and the polish and all that good stuff but I can't tell much difference if any after using any of those swirl removers...kind of a waste of money on those but thats my .02
Old 12-28-2008, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by UGOTWS6D
I agree....my car has 2200 miles on it so obviously it doesnt see much dirt but after a while from sitting in the garage i can feel it getting a lil rough. I've had success with the Mother's claybar and Meguiar's NXT wax. I use the liquid wax but it doesnt seem to last that long...ive always been a fan of the paste wax but thats just me. Prolly switch to it when i run out since that stuff aint cheap. But the claybar does a great job of taking the crap off ur car then protect it with wax. I've used the step 1 like mentioned above and the polish and all that good stuff but I can't tell much difference if any after using any of those swirl removers...kind of a waste of money on those but thats my .02
You think that the paste version is better than the liquid version? Just curious, as i have only used the liquid stuff.

I think buying the Zaino and other expensive waxes are a waste when i can get the same result from claying, using a cleaner wax then using a great polishing/sealer wax
Old 12-28-2008, 10:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
You think that the paste version is better than the liquid version? Just curious, as i have only used the liquid stuff.

I think buying the Zaino and other expensive waxes are a waste when i can get the same result from claying, using a cleaner wax then using a great polishing/sealer wax
Yeah i kinda like the paste better although I have not tried it in the NXT yet. I used to use the Meguiars gold class (b4 NXT came out) and it seemed like the liquid stuff didn't last that long as the paste...but this was on my other car that i DD. If you're using a clay bar, why do you use a cleaner wax afterwards? The clay bar leaves a smooth surface and takes off all the contaminents. I did that whole 4 step stuff on my other car once and that was the end of that. To me the clay bar and wax was just as good and faster. But everyone has their own process to make them shine which is the ultimate goal.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by UGOTWS6D
Yeah i kinda like the paste better although I have not tried it in the NXT yet. I used to use the Meguiars gold class (b4 NXT came out) and it seemed like the liquid stuff didn't last that long as the paste...but this was on my other car that i DD. If you're using a clay bar, why do you use a cleaner wax afterwards? The clay bar leaves a smooth surface and takes off all the contaminents. I did that whole 4 step stuff on my other car once and that was the end of that. To me the clay bar and wax was just as good and faster. But everyone has their own process to make them shine which is the ultimate goal.
i hate Meguiars 3 Step process takes way toooooo long..

But i used Step 1 (cleaner) b/c it removes fine scratches and swirls. Then i used liquid NXT. I think i am going to try the paste NXT waz now....
Old 12-30-2008, 08:47 PM
Teching In

i'm using Meguiars 3 step stuff and i can't seem to get the swirls out. i'm wondering if i'm doing the application and removal wrong. i do small circles on and off and i apply minimal pressure. help please.

Quick Reply: need some advice on waxing please!