Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Ok now im getting pissed the f*** off HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help me asap!!!!!!!!! F***in car is retarded!

ok. so my alternator killed my battery. or so i thought? NEW ALTERNATOR. NEW BATTERY. and my gauge is still reading that my batterys in the red. is it the gauge? or is my battery already FUCKED again and i just bought it 5 minutes ago....someone help. im so ready 2 just blow this ****** car up. i just dont want to take it for a test drive and have it ****** die on me again.

Last edited by yungepjr; 01-16-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:04 PM
Restricted User

if the car seems to start good then its not the battery its your guage.... if your battery wont start your car then its getting drained from something.....

you cant always trust your guages....

DO this:

start your car undo your pos battery cable (while the car is running) if the alternator is bad it will die.... if not the alternator is good....

check to make sure your amp and all your other stuff is shutting off with the ignition...

good luck man!
Old 01-15-2009, 10:10 PM
Teching In

if you have good connections on the battery no corrosion take the battery back its possible to have a bad battery straight off the shelf and check the alternator just like it says above if not take it back
Old 01-15-2009, 10:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1BAD_LS1
start your car undo your posITIVE battery cable (while the car is running) if the alternator is bad it will die.... if not the alternator is good....
positive... not piece of ****...

im guessing in the OP's state of frustration.. he would assume piece of ****..
Old 01-15-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

maybe its got a bad short and its makin the charge go all they way down? not sure just throwin an idea... hope u get it fixed.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:24 PM
10 Second Club

Use a volt meter to check the charge when your car is running. You should be close to 14 volts when running.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1BAD_LS1
if the car seems to start good then its not the battery its your guage.... if your battery wont start your car then its getting drained from something.....

you cant always trust your guages....

DO this:

start your car undo your pos battery cable (while the car is running) if the alternator is bad it will die.... if not the alternator is good....

check to make sure your amp and all your other stuff is shutting off with the ignition...

good luck man!

well i unplugged the positive and sure enough it died right away. but the alternator isnt even 2 days old. is it possible 4 them to go bad that quick?
Old 01-15-2009, 11:32 PM
12 Second Club

If you just bought the new alternator take it back and exchange it for another and see what happens. Was it a refurb or new one and where did you buy it from?
Old 01-15-2009, 11:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hempkat94z
If you just bought the new alternator take it back and exchange it for another and see what happens. Was it a refurb or new one and where did you buy it from?
it was brand new. and i got it from autozone. taking it out and putting it back in was a ****** BITCH.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by yungepjr
it was brand new. and i got it from autozone. taking it out and putting it back in was a ****** BITCH.
Auto zone alternators are refurbished. They tend to suck too, It dose happen where they fail even though they are rebuilt.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:07 AM
11 Second Club

lol owned by cheap parts house parts, you should always... always have the alternators tested out of the box, i mean its 5 minutes to save you hours of labor, and the alternator isnt that bad, just man up and get out there. also you may have not hooked up your positive wire to it or plugged it in correctly, or there is a problem with the wiring harness highly unlikely but a possibility given the chance of a brand new alt crapping out
Old 01-16-2009, 12:11 AM
Teching In

Rebuilt alternators are ****! I bought 2 for my 98 sliverado before I just dished out some extra for a new one an havent had a problem since
unhooking the positive battery cable is a good idea a also if your alternator is completely cold an is to hot to touch after you've only had the motor running from 2 to 5 mins its bad too.....also if your alternator drains your battery it can hurt the battery
Old 01-16-2009, 01:03 AM
12 Second Club

What was the warranty on it. They should offer a 1 year or a lifetime. Take the lifetime!!!!! It may cost a little more but all of the internals are new they just reuse the case. The 1 years they try and find the problem and make an attempt to fix it. I worked at the Advanced Auto here and damn near every 1 year warranty I should had some kind of problem. Fork out the extra cash and get the Lifetime Warranty. It will be worth it and like camarojunky74 said TEST it before you leave.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On my old car I put in an auto zone alternator. About 2 weeks later it crapped out on me.
I just went back to autozone and they gave me another one. After that it was fine.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by yungepjr
well i unplugged the positive and sure enough it died right away. but the alternator isnt even 2 days old. is it possible 4 them to go bad that quick?
In my 98 sierra i went through 3 alternators in 2 days until i finally got a good one. Now that alternator has lasted me 2 years and counting so yes its possible. Take it back and have them test it.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z28gsxr
In my 98 sierra i went through 3 alternators in 2 days until i finally got a good one. Now that alternator has lasted me 2 years and counting so yes its possible. Take it back and have them test it.
Or throw it at them and demand competance.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:45 AM
Launching!

i blew 7 alternators in one week lol from autozone been through it get a H.O 200 amp alternator and your done
Old 01-16-2009, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
Or throw it at them and demand competance.
Yeah i ended up getting in an argument with the guy behind the counter because he was blaming me for ******* them up so fast. he was saying either my amps were way too big or i had a short. So I made him test the last alt before taking it home and thats the one that lasted. But on my truck its easy as hell to swap it out lol i can have the old one out and new one on in 10 mins taking my time. lol
Old 01-16-2009, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah a lot of times they have reman'd crap that sucks ***** I bought a rem'd caliper once.... Never again, I guess when cleaning the threads out where the banjo bolt goes into the caliper somehow they must have worn all the threads down or didn't notice the threads were missing on the caliper. I was coming off the freeway doing about 75 80 ish then no brakes. Pep Boys manager was cool and gave me the part, non remaned, for free plus some cash back. That is why I never touch remaned again.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:00 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS SIKZ
i blew 7 alternators in one week lol from autozone been through it get a H.O 200 amp alternator and your done
Whats H.O?

Quick Reply: Ok now im getting pissed the f*** off HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!