General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

heater motor question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question heater motor question?

Hi y'all,

I have a 2001 gmc sonoma and the heater recently stopped blowing out heat. All 4 of the speed settings don't work. They were working fine one day and then the next time I turned my truck on they wouldn't work. Does anyone know if this is from the heater motor going bad, or just a resistor or something?

Thanks a bunch
Britney
Old 01-18-2009, 02:01 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to the site!

Unless there's something unique about a 2001 Sonoma, there's no such thing as a heater motor. Its just a fan, which blows either cold or hot air out the vents. Sounds like your fan just took a poop.

Could also just be a fuse that popped, so check it.

www.rockauto.com

ACDELCO Part # 1581128
This is for both the 2.2 and the 4.3 engines, same blower motor. $91.00 Usually this place has great prices.

Last edited by LS6427; 01-18-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:53 PM

Thanks!! I looked further into that blower fan you were talking about....I also came across a blower resistor?? Could that be my problem, or do you think it is just the blower fan because it doesn't run?
Old 01-18-2009, 07:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gmcSonomaGirl
Thanks!! I looked further into that blower fan you were talking about....I also came across a blower resistor?? Could that be my problem, or do you think it is just the blower fan because it doesn't run?
Check "HVAC" fuse inside the car. It runs the fan motor.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:40 PM

hey, thanks for the replies
I checked my HVAC fuses and they looked good. I decided to then see even if the AC worked in it and when I switched it over to AC the fan came on!!! But there seems to be another problem.....I have fan settings 1 - 4 and 4 is now off, but is supposed to be high. Anyone have an idea why the settings would mix up?

Thanks again
Britney
Old 01-22-2009, 05:04 PM
Banned

Sounds like a problem with the selector itself. Its strange that it will blow with the A/C on but NOT with the heat on. With the Trans Ams and Camaros the only difference between A/C and Heat is turning the "cold/hot" **** from the cold side to the hot side or anywhere inbetween to regulate how you want the temp of the air coming out. You leave it on "max A/C" even when you want heat. You could also move the selector off of "max A/C" and just select the different vent selections and the compressor will turn off. But the fan is just a fan, it doesn't know cold and hot. By leaving it on "max A/C" when you want heat you will still have the system dry the air before it comes out of the vents.
Maybe the Sonoma is different.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:44 PM

My bad, I must have wrote it wrong. The fan works now when the vents are on too. Just the fan speed settings are messed up. I hope that's an easy fix.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gmcSonomaGirl
My bad, I must have wrote it wrong. The fan works now when the vents are on too. Just the fan speed settings are messed up. I hope that's an easy fix.

Thanks
Ok, then it sounds like a bad selector dial/switch for the fan. That would inside the dash. I don't know the Sonoma, it could be very simple, it could be a hassle.

Might have better luck here:
http://www.gmcforums.com/phpBB3/