Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

DIY Turbo Gurus Come in and Help Out With a Turbo Build Idea

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default DIY Turbo Gurus Come in and Help Out With a Turbo Build Idea

I have always ran N/A but the big numbers that ya'll are making with the truck manifolds and front mount turbos really has my interest in doing one myself. If my idea is just totally screwed up and want work please just tell me so. I was thinking why not build a front center mount turbo car coming off the pace setter headers that I currently have with some 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 tubing in the shape of a "U" to get the hot piping headed back to the center front and then tie that into a Flow Master merge that would then have a single pipe going into the turbo??? The new "Y" pipe with merge would run under the factor cross member that could be notched if necessary for clearance or run a BMR cross member still running the piping under the cross member unless room was plentifull between the BMR member and motor?

I was thinking this way the AC could be kept and no need to move the alternator either.

Please let me know if this is possible or if it has been done with success and any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:24 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you can Mig or Tig proficiently and already have the mandrel bent bends, should be able to knock it right out.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:50 PM
Staging Lane

Great. I didnt know if it was alright to merge both pipes coming off the headers and only run one pipe into the turbo instead of the two mateing up at the turbo. If it is alright to run just one pipe out of the merge into the turbo what size pipe should it be? Also, any suggestions to what turbo to use?

I also wondered if you could use the truck manifold on the driver side and use the stock f-body exhaust to the rear on the passenger side and route that tube back up front to meet up with the turbo and the other hot pipe, thus making it possible to keep the AC. I just didnt know if the hot pipes had to be pretty much the same lenght or not? With this set up the passenger side hot pipe would be much longer than the driver side.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

Where are you putting you radiator and intercooler with this front and centre mounted turbo??

Sure with a car only running 8 seconds at a time, you could get away with meth and a A2W but street car?
Old 01-28-2009, 05:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can help you with the parts, I have DIY packages for any budget.

oil feed and drain kits, turbo, WG's BOV's, all flanges including truck manifolds, etc etc etc.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:12 PM
12 Second Club

Just sell the pacesetters and buy some truck manifolds. I think you would run out of room trying to pipe the up-pipe back to the front of the car. Also it would have lag issue like an sts kit because of how long the hotside would be.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:14 PM
Launching!

you should consider selling the headers and put stock manifolds on it, then you have more room and you dont have to make a whole 180 turn under the car. guys are making a lot of power on truck manifolds so i dont think the flow is that big an issue( unless your going all out). mine is built with 2 stock passenger manifolds. ive seen the use of a corvette manifold with the pipe tucking between the a arms too.

Last edited by crf538; 01-29-2009 at 03:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-28-2009, 06:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ModularTurbo

oil feed and drain kits, turbo, WG's BOV's, all flanges including truck manifolds, etc etc etc.
Can you PM me a price for a 38mm gate, 50mm BOV, T-76 MP turbo? I think you saw my thread
Old 01-29-2009, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by PowerTalk
Where are you putting you radiator and intercooler with this front and centre mounted turbo??

Sure with a car only running 8 seconds at a time, you could get away with meth and a A2W but street car?
By front and center I just ment that it would be setting in front of the water pump like alot of them do and the radiator would be changed to a Griffin so it could be set straight up to get the necessary clearance.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ModularTurbo

Thanks, I will look you up when I get ready to do this. Any particular person I should ask for?

Thanks again.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sluggish
Just sell the pacesetters and buy some truck manifolds. I think you would run out of room trying to pipe the up-pipe back to the front of the car. Also it would have lag issue like an sts kit because of how long the hotside would be.
That is what I was wondering about was lag due to the increased tube lengths. Good point and thanks for the info.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by crf538
you should consider celling the headers and put stock manifolds on it, then you have more room and you dont have to make a whole 180 turn under the car. guys are making a lot of power on truck manifolds so i dont think the flow is that big an issue( unless your going all out). mine is built with 2 stock passenger manifolds. ive seen the use of a corvette manifold with the pipe tucking between the a arms too.
I don't mind using the truck manifolds except what I've read is that you loose your AC. You mentioned using 2 stock passenger manifolds, by doing this are you able to keep your AC and how are the pipes routed? If you have any pictures it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help
Old 01-29-2009, 01:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One passenger side 6L truck manifold turned around and installed on the driver side. One passenger C6 manifold installed in stock configuration on passenger side.
Read and dream:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...old-setup.html
Old 01-29-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

here is my setup with truck manifolds turbo mounted in center
Old 01-29-2009, 03:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by PRO AUTO
I don't mind using the truck manifolds except what I've read is that you loose your AC. You mentioned using 2 stock passenger manifolds, by doing this are you able to keep your AC and how are the pipes routed? If you have any pictures it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help
i dont have my AC, my turbo is where the compressor used to be https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...uild-pics.html
you could do the pipes the same way, have a front mount, relocate the alt and keep ac.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
One passenger side 6L truck manifold turned around and installed on the driver side. One passenger C6 manifold installed in stock configuration on passenger side.
Read and dream:
Great build, looks like its going to be awsome. So why couldn't I just use the stock passenger side manifold instead of changing it to a corvette manifold?
Old 01-30-2009, 09:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by trans2000am

here is my setup with truck manifolds turbo mounted in center
Got any more pictures? Looks sweet. Were you able to keep the AC?

Thanks
Old 01-30-2009, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
Read and dream:
yea but that build requires a tub. kmember,
it is not needed with truck manifolds