Sponsored by: DashLynx

Replaced my fog lights with HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced my fog lights with HIDs

Update- Pictures are below

I went with a "Xentec" 6000k HID kit (though I doubt the ballasts are authentic, since they aren't branded in any way). They cost me $80 shipped, so as long as they work, I'm happy.

I started by pulling the negative battery terminal, and disconnecting the wiring harness connector for the passenger side fog light. The bulbs were pretty corroded- probably the original ones. The 880 HID bulb fit in there tightly, but nicely. Next the wiring harness and the connecter for the ballast went through a crack under the car to be connected. The car's connector has a tab on the side of it that I had to remove to fit into the ballast's connector, but they wouldn't snap together. Something with the ballast's end was made too long, and even with a little coaxing from a set of pliers, they wouldn't snap. So I used a cable tie to make sure they wouldn't loosen up. I'll check them every so often to make sure the tie is holding.

After I double checked the wiring, I reconnected the battery and test fired the fogs. After it came on with no problems, I left them on for a burn-in. Unfortunately, I didn't get a shot with the one in comparing it to stock- too many tools out.

The driver's side went in a lot quicker, since I knew what I was doing. After they were both in and working, I used the included double-sided tape to mount the ballasts on the "shelf" under the nostrils.

They look great, and the light output over stock is amazing. I'm still adjusting the housings, and will probably get a friend over to help me with it. The only problem that I've seen so far is the housing lens is melted a little bit closest to the bulb. I'm thinking next will probably be HIDs in the lows, with a set of projectors. Until then, if anyone has any tips or suggestions- let me know.

Last edited by majeskyb; 01-31-2009 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Added pics
Old 01-31-2009, 09:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

HIDs on stock fog light housing are for looks only, they don't really light that much the road... I agree they are bright and better loking than stock halogen....
Old 01-31-2009, 09:26 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by majeskyb
Until then, if anyone has any tips or suggestions- let me know.
I have one suggestion. Post damn pictures of said install.
Otherwise
Old 01-31-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by transam5.7lt1
HIDs on stock fog light housing are for looks only, they don't really light that much the road... I agree they are bright and better loking than stock halogen....
They easily have twice the distance of the 880 halogens. I also had the same issue with the 880 connectors not snapping together. I wrapped mine up with electrical tape.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
I have one suggestion. Post damn pictures of said install.
Otherwise
Alright, you twisted my arm. I was able to get the rest of the pics, and loaded them onto photobucket. So, here they are:

The box the HIDs came in:

Inside the box:

The box contents:

I bought a set of "super slim" ballasts, so the next two pics are comparing one to a business card

Old 01-31-2009, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

These are showing my stock fog lights, and how horrible their light output was.
For some reason, I picked up a lot of light flare when taking pictures of the car. I'm assuming it's the light against the darkness. There really isn't any in person, the camera was just acting up.

All pictures of light output against the wall were taken at night with no flash. The car was parked at the entrance of our garage, so it was about 20 feet from the wall.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

These next three pictures are of the stock fog lights with the low beams.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:47 PM
On The Tree

Here's where I ended up mounting the ballasts

Driver side:

Passenger side:
Old 01-31-2009, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Here are the pictures of the HID fogs

Old 01-31-2009, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

Here are the HID fog lights with the lows on:

And because a day spent working on my car would not be complete without some blood (no matter how weak the cut is...):
Old 01-31-2009, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by transam5.7lt1
If you could have seen my lights in person, you could see how much of a difference the HIDs made. I didn't ride around with the stock fog lights on because they did absolutely nothing. My wife hated driving my car at night because she couldn't see anything with the stock lighting. The HIDs are actually brighter than my halogen low beams. When I get the money and my wife allows it, I'm going to go the HID/projector route for the low beams.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:01 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:29 PM
12 Second Club

It's looking good. I have OEM maxima HID low beams right now, And the Xentec 10000k fogs. One of the fog ballasts went out about a week ago, 9 months down the road. besides that, these things have been awesome. Im a little bored with the setup at the moment, so now its time to get some bixenon projectors, and get those in there...lol
Old 02-01-2009, 11:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by majeskyb
Update- Pictures are below

I went with a "Xentec" 6000k HID kit (though I doubt the ballasts are authentic, since they aren't branded in any way). They cost me $80 shipped, so as long as they work, I'm happy.

I started by pulling the negative battery terminal, and disconnecting the wiring harness connector for the passenger side fog light. The bulbs were pretty corroded- probably the original ones. The 880 HID bulb fit in there tightly, but nicely. Next the wiring harness and the connecter for the ballast went through a crack under the car to be connected. The car's connector has a tab on the side of it that I had to remove to fit into the ballast's connector, but they wouldn't snap together. Something with the ballast's end was made too long, and even with a little coaxing from a set of pliers, they wouldn't snap. So I used a cable tie to make sure they wouldn't loosen up. I'll check them every so often to make sure the tie is holding.

After I double checked the wiring, I reconnected the battery and test fired the fogs. After it came on with no problems, I left them on for a burn-in. Unfortunately, I didn't get a shot with the one in comparing it to stock- too many tools out.

The driver's side went in a lot quicker, since I knew what I was doing. After they were both in and working, I used the included double-sided tape to mount the ballasts on the "shelf" under the nostrils.

They look great, and the light output over stock is amazing. I'm still adjusting the housings, and will probably get a friend over to help me with it. The only problem that I've seen so far is the housing lens is melted a little bit closest to the bulb. I'm thinking next will probably be HIDs in the lows, with a set of projectors. Until then, if anyone has any tips or suggestions- let me know.
where'd you buy the HID fog light from??
Old 02-02-2009, 12:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think those are the ones I have too, (and have recommended to a crapload of members, lol) I agree its mostly for looks, the factory housing is crap. Anybody on here have projectors as fogs? *checks lighting faq*
Old 02-02-2009, 07:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2002 SS
where'd you buy the HID fog light from??
Originally Posted by 98 WS6
I think those are the ones I have too, (and have recommended to a crapload of members, lol) I agree its mostly for looks, the factory housing is crap. Anybody on here have projectors as fogs? *checks lighting faq*
Yep. There was another thread where 98 WS6 replied on where to get them. I used his seller on ebay. They arrived in under a week, and other than the plugs not snapping together, they work great.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MOE_TAWS6
It's looking good. I have OEM maxima HID low beams right now, And the Xentec 10000k fogs. One of the fog ballasts went out about a week ago, 9 months down the road. besides that, these things have been awesome. Im a little bored with the setup at the moment, so now its time to get some bixenon projectors, and get those in there...lol
Here's the thread that I got the idea from:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...-trans-am.html
Old 02-02-2009, 07:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

damn looks awesome. Good work
Old 02-02-2009, 08:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What type of bulbs are those? I have 2 D2S 6000k hid's that I want to put in my 95 camaro fogs. Can it be done?
Old 02-02-2009, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KLaBZ28
What type of bulbs are those? I have 2 D2S 6000k hid's that I want to put in my 95 camaro fogs. Can it be done?
The bulbs that I ordered are 880s. They are a direct replacement for the stock bulbs used in the 4th gen Trans Ams.

Your Camaro's fog lights are 885s. I believe the difference is wattage and possibly connector angle (ie. 880=27.5 watts/straight connector, 881=27.5 watts/90* connector). From what I've read, the D2S bulbs were meant to be used together with projectors (I accept the fact that all HIDs should be used with projectors for better output and cutoff, but didn't have the time or money to replace my stock fog housings with an acceptable replacement). Since I never owned an early 4th gen Camaro, I can't say for sure what would fit in the stock fog light location. Your best bet would be to look over the https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...hting-faq.html and dig around here for some owners who have done the conversion.

Last edited by majeskyb; 02-02-2009 at 12:04 PM. Reason: added wattage/link

Quick Reply: Replaced my fog lights with HIDs