Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with HSW Standalone

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with HSW Standalone

OK, I bought the thing used. Hooked it up per HSW's instructions, and at first it was not turning on. Now, it is building pressure but the power wire going to the relay is HOT and there is fuel, yes I said fuel, coming out of the two wires that come out of the cell. I'm guessing that there is a seal that goes where the two wires come out that is bad. But why is the power wire getting really really hot?
Old 05-06-2009, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

Pump maybe damaged or is just running backwards causing the heating of the supply wires. Or could be inadequate supply wire size to the stand-alone. Does the pump and filter (intank) appear to be non-corroded? Also does it build pressure right away, or take more than 30 seconds?
Old 05-06-2009, 10:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The relay could be getting bad... If its not making good contact, it will ark and heat up. The leak, maybe just tighten it or replace the nylon washer.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JoeyGC5
Pump maybe damaged or is just running backwards causing the heating of the supply wires. Or could be inadequate supply wire size to the stand-alone. Does the pump and filter (intank) appear to be non-corroded? Also does it build pressure right away, or take more than 30 seconds?
Well I was thinking the wire size may be too small. I'm gonna try some bigger gauge wire tomorrow and see if that works. The pump and filter look fine, the filter may be a little dirty but thats it. It does not build pressure right away, it takes forever to build up.

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
The relay could be getting bad... If its not making good contact, it will ark and heat up. The leak, maybe just tighten it or replace the nylon washer.
I just replaced the relay, that is the first thing I did. I tightened up the nylon thing and I think it solved it, but when I tried it again I didn't let it build over 3 PSI because I saw smoke from one of the wires and shut it off right away.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure you do not have it wired backwards. The pump will run backwards and sound like its working but not pump fuel.
Dave
Old 05-06-2009, 11:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DopdBrd
Well I was thinking the wire size may be too small. I'm gonna try some bigger gauge wire tomorrow and see if that works. The pump and filter look fine, the filter may be a little dirty but thats it. It does not build pressure right away, it takes forever to build up.

I just replaced the relay, that is the first thing I did. I tightened up the nylon thing and I think it solved it, but when I tried it again I didn't let it build over 3 PSI because I saw smoke from one of the wires and shut it off right away.

Yikes.... Maybe the pump is on its way out and is drawing too many amps?
Old 05-06-2009, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
Make sure you do not have it wired backwards. The pump will run backwards and sound like its working but not pump fuel.
Dave
There are only two wires coming out of the pump, the red goes to the relay and the black goes to ground.

How could I tell if the pump is in fact going bad?
Old 05-06-2009, 11:28 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Correct. As long as you have the relay wired correctly and have a good ground with the right size wire you should not be seeing any issue. If you check these things and the issue is still there you need to replace the pump. Sounds like a wiring issue though.
Dave
Old 05-07-2009, 06:38 AM
FormerVendor

There are only two wires coming out of the pump, the red goes to the relay and the black goes to ground.

How could I tell if the pump is in fact going bad?
Verify on the pump for the correct hookup. Use a flashlight to look for the + or - marks on the black plastic part of the pump (where the quick disconnect connector plugs into).

Nick
Old 05-07-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Pump is wired right. Checked it before re wiring the kit.

I rewired the relay using a larger gauge wire. I put a 25 amp fuse on the power side of the relay. As soon as I turned it on, I heard the relay click and then the fuse immediately blew. Hot wired the kit and it turned on but the wires coming out of the standalone got really hot. The power wire and ground wire after that did not get hot, only the wires coming out of the cell. I drained all the 110 and removed the pump. There is a lot of rusty crap at the bottom of the tank. I kinda figured that would be filtered by the filter at the bottom of the pump though.

I'm stumped and don't know what to do.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:53 PM
10 Second Club

as stated.. get a new/used/different pump and try it. Im sure you have some friends that have their old stock pump laying around. Get that and try it. Im actually using my buddies old stock pump for my stand alone.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

I'll try that. Thanks man
Old 05-08-2009, 07:50 AM
FormerVendor

Pump is wired right. Checked it before re wiring the kit.

I rewired the relay using a larger gauge wire. I put a 25 amp fuse on the power side of the relay. As soon as I turned it on, I heard the relay click and then the fuse immediately blew. Hot wired the kit and it turned on but the wires coming out of the standalone got really hot. The power wire and ground wire after that did not get hot, only the wires coming out of the cell. I drained all the 110 and removed the pump. There is a lot of rusty crap at the bottom of the tank. I kinda figured that would be filtered by the filter at the bottom of the pump though.

I'm stumped and don't know what to do.
If a fuse pops, you have a short in the system or you're exceeding the amp draw of the fuse. Whether it be wiring or the pump itself. If it pops the fuse do not run it again until you can troubleshoot the system and obviously if the wires are getting hot, there is an issue. I would suspect if there is junk in the tank your pump bit the bullet. I might have a used pump laying around that you can test if you can't find a old one laying around. Shoot me a PM.

Nick