Process operator's....

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 02:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Process operator's....

I'm wanting to get into the plants, specifically operations. My father was a operator and really enjoyed his job. I was going to do the same when I left the military in Oct. 07 but decided to go to school for a while. Things have changed some since then and I'd like to go back to my original plan.

So who's hiring right now? I'd appreciate some help. Feel free to private message me with any leads to companies hiring.

Those of you in operations what are the better companies to try and get in with? Also what type of plant is more desirable to work in? Refinery, power, ect? Not really hugely important, but I am curious what you all think. I really just want to get some experience under my belt.

I appreciate the help and any advice given. Thanks.

Jon
Old 05-07-2009, 08:16 AM
Teching In

This site may help. Look into getting a TWIC card also.
http://www.energycentraljobs.com/

I work for EPCO and am doing pretty well in automation and controls. You may just have to surf the various company websites and send resumes.

Good Luck.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cabolew
This site may help. Look into getting a TWIC card also.
http://www.energycentraljobs.com/

I work for EPCO and am doing pretty well in automation and controls. You may just have to surf the various company websites and send resumes.

Good Luck.
Thanks man.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:11 PM
Launching!

I went to school in beaumont for process operating, There is a school in houston you can go to for process operating. You have military experience some plants still hire with out school or experience with military experience Exxon mobil still hires with military experience and I think is hiring in there chemical plant in texas city also shell you dont have to have a degree or experience. You got to apply online at theses companys and wait for a testing date. As far as hiring I dunno as far as setx havent heard of people hiring but people laying off economy is killing us. Good luck hope that helps

I work in a chemical plant and couldnt be happier. I have worked in oil refinerys as a contractor and noticed that theyre dirty compared to a chemical plant. If you can get into a power plant those are nice. Money is about the same across the board. Hope you like shift work
Old 05-07-2009, 06:49 PM
Staging Lane

JON ,If you are gonna get your twic it will save you a ton of time to go to the lake jackson office instead of the over crowded houston offices...
Old 05-07-2009, 07:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MY06TBSS
JON ,If you are gonna get your twic it will save you a ton of time to go to the lake jackson office instead of the over crowded houston offices...
yeah, i wound up going to beaumont for mine

i don't know if anybody's really hiring right now or not. We have a customer that is basically a storage and transfer facility (no process units) that is always a good step up to get into the plants if you wanted to, but they've been so slow lately that they're not hiring right now, and they were ALWAYS hiring.

just my .02, i myself wouldn't want to work in a plant. i've considered it a lot before, and i pull chemical tankers so i'm always in them and know the atmosphere, but i also know that there's people that it doesn't bother. i would 100% stay away from the refineries though. those places are exponentially more dangerous than any plant or anything else. not because of carelessness, or disregard of safety, or anything like that, but just because of the specific chemicals and processes that go on in those places, they're just naturally more likely to go boom
Old 05-07-2009, 07:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rooster99ss
yeah, i wound up going to beaumont for mine

i don't know if anybody's really hiring right now or not. We have a customer that is basically a storage and transfer facility (no process units) that is always a good step up to get into the plants if you wanted to, but they've been so slow lately that they're not hiring right now, and they were ALWAYS hiring.

just my .02, i myself wouldn't want to work in a plant. i've considered it a lot before, and i pull chemical tankers so i'm always in them and know the atmosphere, but i also know that there's people that it doesn't bother. i would 100% stay away from the refineries though. those places are exponentially more dangerous than any plant or anything else. not because of carelessness, or disregard of safety, or anything like that, but just because of the specific chemicals and processes that go on in those places, they're just naturally more likely to go boom
I agree the big oil refinerys are infamous with there equipment there motto is RTF Run Till Fail
Old 05-07-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Regular

I would suggest you begin taking the process ops classes at a local jr college. It will be pretty difficult to get a job with only military experience. Certified Personnel in Clear Lake does most of the hiring for the plants in the area. 281 480 9500 (I think)
Old 05-07-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Whats a Process operator?
Just Curious...
Old 05-07-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MY06TBSS
I got my TWIC card from the office in Texas City...Inside Mall Of the Mainland. It wasn't too crowded at all.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by $O$OE
Whats a Process operator?
Just Curious...

It's an operator at a chemical plant.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by -Ross-
It's an operator at a chemical plant.
I see thanks..I guess that makes decent money?
Old 05-08-2009, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS2 KLR
I would suggest you begin taking the process ops classes at a local jr college. It will be pretty difficult to get a job with only military experience. Certified Personnel in Clear Lake does most of the hiring for the plants in the area. 281 480 9500 (I think)
the # you posted is to a Dr's office

i ran a google search, certified personnel does not have a website to speak of and no contact info that i saw... at least a certified in Clear Lake
Old 05-08-2009, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think this might have been the certified he was talking about.

http://www.certifiedstaffing.net/index.php

Thanks for the help guys. I'm chasing every lead you are providing me.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im just a stupid knuckle-dragging machinest @ Exxon BOP in Baytown......

and no TWIC card for us hahahahaha suuuuuuuckkaaaas
Old 05-08-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by AGRV8D
the # you posted is to a Dr's office

i ran a google search, certified personnel does not have a website to speak of and no contact info that i saw... at least a certified in Clear Lake

Sorry about that, its been a few years. I was alittle off, the correct number is 281 280 9500. I did call and verified it worked.

They are located off of bay area blvd at feathercraft and gemini. Its right behind the dealerships before you get to hwy 3.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by had20z

I just went for my 2nd interview at BOP for a Process Operator position. I hope i get selected.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by had20z

Hook it up with a job, i'll give you $500 if you get me one, after the first month. I've been doing nothing but little dumb temp jobs for a staffing agency, they havent even got me interviews in the past 3 months. They just send me out to do small jobs. I bet there not even trying to get me a job they probably wanna keep me doing the small 2-3 days jobs.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:09 PM
c6r
On The Tree

I work at the great DOW chemical in Freeport,normally they want you to go through the 2 year school deal but I am not certain, check out there web site dow.com and good luck.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Teching In

I am a process operator, have been for 20 years. It pays well. When product is going to sales you don't have an overload of work. But when things go to crap you are running your *** off. It is a good job benefits, 401k, ins etc. Now, if you can't handle shift work then don't even apply. You will miss things like ball games, plays with kids if you have any and family holidays. On the good side of shiftwork, you can visit your kids at school for lunch go on field trips, shop when things aren't crowded, make appts to do during day when most ppl are working and enjoy the house all to yourself lol. I have 3 kiddos and youngest was 3 when I started it was tough but we made it. Good luck. I also am looking for a job, got laid off April 14th.

Quick Reply: Process operator's....