Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP lid on the way-should I seal it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP lid on the way-should I seal it?

I've seen a few people on here seal the outer edges on their lids using weather stripping or other sorts of rubber pieces that provide a better sealing betweeen the two plastic pieces.

Anyone else recommend this or have pics of their project?
Old 05-20-2009, 08:56 AM
12 Second Club

i dont think its necessary, especially if you didnt modify the lower airbox area.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Your talking about the free ram air mod, correct? I plan on purchasing a SSRA in the near future to go with the lid too, so that will require the FRA mod regardless.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:53 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is an earlier thread on this with some pics.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ompletely.html

I plan on doing the silicone idea one of these up coming weekends. There is a gap along the edges of the SLP lid which I plan on filling anyway whether I use the silicone mod or go with the weather stripping.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup i would seal under the lid and if possible in front of the lid too
Old 05-20-2009, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Haha, hey speak of the devil. Torchd, did your lid have a gap running around the front and sides of the inside of your lid? If so, did you fill it or did you just use the weather stripping? My apologies if I'm hijacking Striker.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

No need to, thats exactly what im looking for. Ive heard horror stories of the slp lid fitting and thats why i started this thread. The car is bone stock and im just making sure that the lid is fully sealed and the best way to go about this seems to be some tape like weather stripping to go around the bottom air box (what the lid sits on) and then the actual lid itself.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Double S
Haha, hey speak of the devil. Torchd, did your lid have a gap running around the front and sides of the inside of your lid? If so, did you fill it or did you just use the weather stripping? My apologies if I'm hijacking Striker.
hahah you said devil.... Look at my license plate

I dont know what gap you are talking about. All i did was put to layers side by side around the perimeter of the lid and it was fine. It was all sealed off

Old 05-20-2009, 11:02 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Striker
No need to, thats exactly what im looking for. Ive heard horror stories of the slp lid fitting and thats why i started this thread. The car is bone stock and im just making sure that the lid is fully sealed and the best way to go about this seems to be some tape like weather stripping to go around the bottom air box (what the lid sits on) and then the actual lid itself.
Yeah I hear you. I heard some horror stories as well but to be honest mine fits perfect. The clips that hold the front shut kinda suck but overall no complaints. I can see those clips popping off though if there is too much weather stripping.

I noticed that Torchd has a different lid so his may not have any gaps but my SLP lid has a small gap running along the sides and front of it. My point was to fill that gap so when you go to put on the stripping, it won't bunch into that little gap when the stripping compresses against the edges of the air filter. I was going to use silicone or household window insulation caulk to fill it but then I thought, well why not just do the whole seal like that. It talks about that a little bit in that original thread in the link above.

Last edited by The Double S; 05-20-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I hear ya, thats all im gonna do as well. I just wanna have the actual lid lined with weather stripping on all four sides and should be good to go!

Quick Reply: SLP lid on the way-should I seal it?