Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting worried as hell!!! help

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Getting worried as hell!!! help

Hey guys, I have a 00 ls1 Z i'm at 79k miles. I don't have much mechanical knowledge, but i read up a lot. But this problem i have no answer for. I have been driving my car around for about a week and every single time i cut my car off and cut it on, at some point, it starts to sputter (as in shaking as if it's about to stall). Some times it's minor, some times it's terrible. When it's minor, it can be heard in the exhaust. When it's major, it shakes bad to where if you were looking at me drive by, you could see the shaking. I do have a pressure plate that is getting ready to give in. But that shouldn't make all of this trouble would it? The shaking has been convenient to the 8 straight days of storming rain that i had to drive through. Is there any way water may have gotten into the block? I have a leaking power steering tube or pump or something, I fill up the resevoir, and before i get home, it's empty and my car starts winding hard every time i make a sharp turn, or park. Can this be affiliated? Thanks ahead for any help.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your pump and the "sputtering" problem are unrelated. You said its raining so I would look at the wires going to the O2 sensors and also check for codes. Sounds like they are getting wet and reading wrong and throwing the pcm off. Do a search and I am sure you will get a little me in dept explanation.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1TA
every single time i cut my car off and cut it on
No clue what you're trying to say with this part. Can you re-state it in more understandable terms?
Old 05-25-2009, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah, when i get in lets say to go to the store, it will hesitate initially for maybe a mile or so, and eventually work itself out. but after I go to the store and come back out and cut my car on, it will start the process over again.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i can't believe i missed that part. there is a sensor hanging under my y like where my cats used to be (i have the off road y-pipe) I figured it's been like that forever. that may be an issue.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:27 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a simm, if so its not the issue unless its grounding out somehow then it could be causing issue back upstream maybe.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it's sort of hard to diagnose because i have been getting these 02 codes on my diablo since i got my headers and cam. I'm untuned. but 2 of my o2's are going bad. Does 02's give these kind of results when failing?
Old 05-25-2009, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get tuned.

Yes, faulty o2's or faulty wiring for 02's will cause all kinds of problems.

get tuned.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hi-Po
Get tuned.

Yes, faulty o2's or faulty wiring for 02's will cause all kinds of problems.

get tuned.
+1
Old 05-25-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol, point taken. i wish my car would be patient. i'm enlisting soon and will get a bonus... i want to do a procharged set-up and will be needing another tune when i'm done, but if it will keep this car from embarrassing me at a light... so be it. Thanks so much guys
Old 05-25-2009, 01:49 PM
Banned

Might not be the tune as much as issues with the wiring but LT's will make it run richer. If it has wiring trouble with the 02 sensors you wont be able to tune it properly so that needs to be fixed or checked/tested first.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok.ok. any recommended places to get these o2's and wiring if needed? gm direct does not organize things well imo
Old 05-25-2009, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Might not be the tune as much as issues with the wiring but LT's will make it run richer. If it has wiring trouble with the 02 sensors you wont be able to tune it properly so that needs to be fixed or checked/tested first.
He said he had new cam and heads. Thats where the tune came from. He also said he has had this problem since his LT install. Thats almost a dead give away.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LT1TA
ok.ok. any recommended places to get these o2's and wiring if needed? gm direct does not organize things well imo
Are you running cats? Do you have 02 sims?
Old 05-25-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

actually, no to both. i have no cats or mufflers. I don't have aftermarket heads, just headers and cam. no sims. just stockers that have been throwing codes for over a year. I didn't know they needed to be replaced. i thought it was a false reading due to the fact that i was running catless.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:19 PM
Banned

you did a cam and headers without tune? I missed the cam part.

I would look at the wiring if its hanging and see whats up. Doesnt hurt to check it out and you might find something.

Then get it scanned and the codes read and fix the issues and then get it tuned. Same time would be good.
You can run simms or tune out the rear sensors.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
you did a cam and headers without tune? I missed the cam part.

I would look at the wiring if its hanging and see whats up. Doesnt hurt to check it out and you might find something.

Then get it scanned and the codes read and fix the issues and then get it tuned. Same time would be good.
You can run simms or tune out the rear sensors.
could be a number of things. try cleaning the mass air flow sensor with some MAF spray you can get at autozone.

check all you fluids to see if anything is getting sucked into the cylinders; when my head gasket went my motor was chugging coolant and shaking like ****.

could be a bad plug or bad wire.

could be a bad o2 sensor.

check your air filter; could be clogged and impeding the flow of air

do you have a white or blue colored steam coming from the exhaust?
Old 05-26-2009, 01:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i have had white/ blueish smoke since a month after buying my car in 07. I have a ring leak so oil passes through. I do have a leak with my power steering, and there was quite a bit of greasy residue around the radiator as if it sludged around in the engine bay. I think the tune is a way to go once i get this issue fixed. My 02's have been throwing codes for a LONG time, so i'm guessing it's finally starting to catch up with me. There's no use in changing the 2 in the back if i'm tuning them out right? Those are the bank 2 sensors right?
Old 05-26-2009, 02:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

1st. you should have been already tuned after cam install
2nd. you should have already tuned out your rear O2's or bought O2 sim's.

Everything sounds bad and also obvious to what your problem is.