Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

recommendations on new shocks and springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 07:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default recommendations on new shocks and springs

Ok, i have 124,000 miles on my z28. still have the stock shocks and springs. Recently spun a rod bearing and am currently having an lq9 installed. looking for a decent set of shock and springs for a small drop. This is my DD, no auto-x or drag racing done in the vehicle. I was thinking some of strano's bilsteins and his springs...any other recommendations?

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2009, 06:37 PM
Launching!

so i guess i made a good choice?
Old 08-26-2009, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya... haha
Old 08-26-2009, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You could get a set of koni sa shocks and use the lower perch setting for a 3/4" drop in the front and the heater hose mod for the rear (1/2" drop)with the stock springs.Strano springs are really good if you want to lower your car app.1.2".The bilsteins are good as long as you don't ride in another car like yours with koni's.Koni shocks are adjustable are way better shocks than bilsteins.Call up sam strano and see what he has to say.I went with the lower perch/heater hose mod on the koni's.Like I said call up Strano and see what he reccommends for your application.Strano performance 1-800-729-1831

Last edited by transwiz; 08-26-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by transwiz
You could get a set of koni sa shocks and use the lower perch setting for a 3/4" drop in the front and the heater hose mod for the rear (1/2" drop).Strano springs are really good
if you want to lower your car app.1.2".The bilsteins are good as long as you don't ride in another car like yours with koni's.Koni shocks are adjustable are way better shocks than
bilsteins.Call up sam strano and see what he has to say.I went with the lower perch/
heater hose mod on the koni's.Like I said call up Strano and see what he reccommends
for your application.Strano performance 1-800-729-1831
Old 08-26-2009, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am running stock springs with the koni sa lower perch/heater hose mod.You can only use the lower perch with the stock springs.You have to use the upper perch with the strano lowering springs.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am running stock springs with the koni sa lower perch/heater hose mod.You can only use the lower perch with the stock springs.You have to use the upper perch with the strano lowering springs.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:08 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

transwiz - do you have pictures of your ride height? I'm trying to decide if I want to go back to my 98 SS springs with my koni's, or keep my DMS springs. I love the stance with the DMS springs, but comfy ride would be nice. Not that the DMS are terrible by any means.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:28 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

You could get a set of koni sa shocks and use the lower perch setting for a 3/4" drop in the front and the heater hose mod for the rear (1/2" drop)with the stock springs.
I am running this setup but with old-spec Bilsteins in the rear. 3/4" drop all around. My car wasn't super 4x4 to begin with so it worked out perfect. Pics in My Garage.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:40 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I am running this setup but with old-spec Bilsteins in the rear. 3/4" drop all around. My car wasn't super 4x4 to begin with so it worked out perfect. Pics in My Garage.
are all those pix with stock springs and just the lower perch/hose mod?

looks good.

hows the ride?
hows the handling?
Old 08-28-2009, 12:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't have any picks of my t/a.My car was a little on the high side before I went to the koni lower perch/heater hose mod.I kept my stock springs because I wanted my car to ride fairly smooth.It makes the car look like it should if it was stock.My friend has strano springs /koni's on the same t/a (2000)and I love the way it looks.(1.2" drop)I thought the ride quality was a little harsh for my tastes.We live in Southern California and the roads are **** out here.Stock springs will ride better,lowering springs are a little stiffer.I prefer the smoother ride.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:15 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by pjb
are all those pix with stock springs and just the lower perch/hose mod? looks good.
hows the ride? hows the handling?
Yep. Just the lower perch and hose mod on stock springs. Handling is certainly improved from stock shocks and there is less body roll just from being lowered that small amount. But sway bars are needed for a real handling improvement. Ride is good. My only complaint is that the Konis hit sharp bumps more harshly than the Bilsteins I had on the front previously. Other than that, the ride is excellent.

Quick Reply: recommendations on new shocks and springs