Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no start?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down no start?

Okay well.. I had my car taken to a transmission shop this time for the install of my new torque Converter..because I didnt want to do it again so.. anyway.. my car was taken to the shop and they said they unplugged the battery and rebuilt the tranny and installed the new torque converter and they went and put everything back together and now the car wont start... any Clues on why it wont start now? It acts like it wants to start but just never fires up.. help..
Old 01-05-2004, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the wires on the starter. Check to see if the starter was put back on correctly. Make sure the gear selector isn't messed up causing you to be in Drive or something when you're supposed to be in Neutral.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dunno if the neutral safety switch is on the trans
or on the console, but that's a prime candidate.
Of course, that should not even let it crank.

You might check that the impact fuel safety switch
didn't get set off (like if they dropped it hard when
lowering the lift).
the lift).
Old 01-05-2004, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

where would I look to check the impact safety switch? cuz I mean if it cut the fuel pump off .. I could always take some carb cleaner and put it in the throttle body and see if it starts.. but if it isnt that? Could it be crank? not on correct firing order?
Old 01-05-2004, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

Whatever it is. I would make the shop investigate everything they did. Especially if it started up without any problems before you got there. Just a little strange that it won't start after they had worked on it.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Most cars seem to have them in the trunk but
I've never had occasion to go looking for mine.
Didn't see anything about one in the owners
manual. But you'd think.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:44 PM
Staging Lane

yeah.. I actually drove it to the shop before they worked on it.. soo I mean they have done something... but I don't have to pay for any of this.. and the second time they pulled the tranny out I didnt pay for that either . b/c they pulled it out again thinking it was something they had done..
Old 01-06-2004, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've never seen a problem with impact switches while working on a car. It takes a pretty good wack to trip one. They are usually located behind the drivers side kickpanel.

Start with the basics.

Is the fuel pump coming on? Is there fuel pressure? Did they kink a fuel line while wrestling the trans?

Did they check for spark?

Fuses?

All too often mechanics overlook the obvious. I worked with a master tech who spent 4 hours trying to get a Suburban to start. Had gauges, scanner, meters, shop manual, the works. Couldn't figure it out. A bunch of us went outside to push it in, I slid under and kicked the fuel tank. Fired up first crank All it turned out to be was a dying fuel pump. Pretty simple problem
Old 01-06-2004, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

Ok ..well I've got the car back now.. and the PT4000 rocks.. well the problem was the crank position sensor he said a pin fell out of it but was put back in and it started right up.. I think it was the position sensor if not it was something to do with the crank..