Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

big fitment problem after header install... has this happened to anyone else?? *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 06:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big fitment problem after header install... has this happened to anyone else?? *pics*

had my headers/y-pipe installed and noticed a horrible banging, rattling, and alot of vibration. it felt and sounded like it was coming from the drivers side header and not the y-pipe. after taking it to a shop and getting it on the lift i realized it's not the y pipe banging it's the drivers side header is resting up against the control arm (i think that's what its called... sorry) but anyway u can see in the pics how its actually resting against it... the passenger side isnt touching but theres about a quarter inch gap in spacing.... anybody else ever seen this and is there anything at all i can do about it?? i bout can't stand to drive the car... i know the car was in an accident or two with some front in damage before i owned the car. i'm afraid that has something to do with the fitment... anyway please give me your advice. thanks
Attached Thumbnails big fitment problem after header install... has this happened to anyone else?? *pics*-header1.jpg   big fitment problem after header install... has this happened to anyone else?? *pics*-header2.jpg   big fitment problem after header install... has this happened to anyone else?? *pics*-header3.jpg  
Old 04-18-2010, 07:06 PM
Teching In

hot rod style, hammer it in till it clears, thats what i did on my truck to fit camaro headers to fit, works all the time
Old 04-18-2010, 07:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

its typical for that header to hit the k-member. either grind the k-member, or dent the header tube.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

I installed Pacesetter LT headers on mine and i have plenty of clarence, no issues.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wisker27
I installed Pacesetter LT headers on mine and i have plenty of clarence, no issues.
yeah i had pacesetters on my last ws6 and there was plenty of clearence.... these are hooker headers and on a different car.. kinda wish i had gone with pacesetters.

i really dont want to have to purposely dent the tubes so i may try to grind down the k-member first and see how much clearence that gives me..... any reason i shouldnt mess with the k-member or is that what i should try first??
Old 04-18-2010, 09:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

poly motor mounts......if you still have stockers it will sit low......and have a frame shop measure your frame
Old 04-18-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

TSP LT.......poly MM
Old 04-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
poly motor mounts......if you still have stockers it will sit low......and have a frame shop measure your frame
so you think poly mm would fix this??
and dumb question but would i have to completely take off the headers and Y to do a poly mm install? i'd hate to pay my mechanic again to take them off and put them back on
Old 04-18-2010, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

if you are paying some 1......i am sure it can get mighty expensive....i think the MM can be taken out from the front..........remove ALT and A/C....but i did mine when i did my headers.......i am sure the polys raised me up a bit....the stockers were sagging big time......i have very little clearance at the collector on the drivers side........but with the polys they will never move.......glad you got the TSP ORY to fit.....mine did not
Old 04-19-2010, 08:11 PM
Launching!

i'm gonna check with my mechanic to see how much he would charge me for a poly mm install but i have a feeling i'm gonna end up just purposely denting the header tube... i'd hate to do that but other than hurting exhaust flow a little bit can anyone give me a good reason not to do that?
Old 04-19-2010, 09:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

dimple the tube and grind on the K
Old 04-19-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Poly motormounts for the win.