Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New TSP Y-Pipe and Tunnel Mount Torque Arm

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New TSP Y-Pipe and Tunnel Mount Torque Arm

Hey guys,

I have one of the new texas speed ypipes on the way to replace the pacesetter I have now while I'm having my converter restalled.

I want to get an aftermarket torque arm while I have it torn down. I've read a few people running into problems with a tunnel mount and this new ypipe.

I'd prefer to run a tunnel, but will run a long one if I have to.

Anybody have any input if the ypipe will work with the UMI, BMR, etc tunnel mount?

THX
Old 03-08-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

is your car a DD, street/strip little more info... if its a daily driver then id go with the full length tq arm unless you like a shitty ride honestly... but you can call TSP and BMR or UMI and ask them they should be able to tell you
Old 03-08-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I posted about my tunnel mount TA and TSP y-pipe. Do a search it should come up. I had major issues with it. Ended up sectioning the Y pipe to move it toward the tranny about 2 inches. Ended up welding everything back together. After that, ended up having to do some work on the I-pipe and then the hangers for the rear exhaust. Spent 8 hours on friday night/sat morning, and it still needs some minor things (fix a exhaust leak, make new hanger for the passenger side exhaust tip, and make a bushing for the rear mount on the passenger side.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^Already got it for him.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...tunnel-ta.html
Old 03-09-2010, 06:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can put spacers between the body and the torque arm cross member.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:58 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

We have had one customer report it fits and one report that his didn't.

We have a new TSP y-pipe here now and we will be test fitting it today or tomorrow. If it doesn't clear correctly we will be revising our tunnel mounted torque arm to clear it... so please stay tuned

I will be posting results shortly.

Thank you!
Ryan
Old 03-09-2010, 09:31 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Hello,

We have had one customer report it fits and one report that his didn't.

We have a new TSP y-pipe here now and we will be test fitting it today or tomorrow. If it doesn't clear correctly we will be revising our tunnel mounted torque arm to clear it... so please stay tuned

I will be posting results shortly.

Thank you!
Ryan
Nice to have you guys helping us with these matters! Thanks for all you do to help the community and us as a business, Ryan!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 03-09-2010, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys, let us know the results. I'll hold off buying a T/A until this gets resolved.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:07 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Chrome355z
Thanks guys, let us know the results. I'll hold off buying a T/A until this gets resolved.
We did the install yesterday with both part #2202 and #2203

The y-pipe cleared both torque arms but did and will rub. On 2203 with the built in drive shaft loop it was worse for clearance but still cleared.

We are starting to make some changes on it today and I will post the pictures as I have them. The merge on this y-pipe is right where the brace bolts so no matter what it is going to be tight but we can add additional clearance with out sacrificing any more ground clearance.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
We did the install yesterday with both part #2202 and #2203

The y-pipe cleared both torque arms but did and will rub. On 2203 with the built in drive shaft loop it was worse for clearance but still cleared.

We are starting to make some changes on it today and I will post the pictures as I have them. The merge on this y-pipe is right where the brace bolts so no matter what it is going to be tight but we can add additional clearance with out sacrificing any more ground clearance.
I should be receiving my #2203 any day now. I also plan on running the TSP y-pipe. What should I do to reduce the rubbing?
Old 04-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Launching!

Any update here fellas? Having the same issue now with my Spohn torque arm and TSP catted y.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bad94sup
Any update here fellas? Having the same issue now with my Spohn torque arm and TSP catted y.
I have the same Spohn T/A and was curious how a TSP Catted Y would fit with this setup.

I'd love to have the Flowmaster Merge for better flow and to help eliminate rasp (especially since I'm running LM Catback).

I hate to say it, but I don't think the benefits out-weigh the negative aspects if the merge is going to be rubbing on the underbody brace.

Please keep this thread updated with your progress. I'd love to know how you make this work. Good luck.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:13 AM
Teching In

UMI agreed to allow me to return my brand new torque arm relocation bracket with driveshaft loop and they are sending me the redesigned piece within the next week or so. They have made a new redesigned model specifically to work with the TSP y-pipe.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:34 PM
11 Second Club

I'd just go with a long torque arm.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im in the same situation i had orderd my torque arm relocation kit prob 2 years ago never put it in untill this winter after i broke the stock one and destroyed the drive shaft so now i have a pst 3.5 inch drive shaft and the new tsp y pipe. the loop clears the drive shaft unless the suspension is fully hanging which it just barely makes contact but the y pipe rubs on the cross member constantly..i wud def purchase if posible the new one that clears this style y pipe
Old 04-11-2010, 01:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

its cool to see companies working together to help the fitment of each others products
Old 04-19-2010, 01:53 PM
Teching In

Just got off the phone with UMI. I was originally told in mid March that I could return my unused relocation bracket and they would replace it with the new model that would clear the y-pipe within the next two weeks. So, I mailed it off to them on 3-18-10 and called in the beginning of april as two weeks had gone by and still no redesigned relocation bracket. I was told again, it's going to take another week or two to get it finalized and shipped out to you. So, here I am today, still no redesigned relocation bracket. I decided to call again just a few minutes ago and was told again, it will be another week or two before the new one gets shipped out to you.

I purchased everything I could for my car from these guys except for subframe connectors since there were some already on the car when I purchased it. Now I asked them if I could return the torque arm as well and I will purchase another unit from somebody else so I can get my car on the road and they told me they would hit me with a 20% restocking fee. I feel this is terrible customer service as they are the ones that have continued putting me off. If this was going to take a month or longer they should have indicated this in the beginning. If UMI is happy doing business this way and wants to hit me with the 20% restocking fee so be it.

I am fed up with these guys and am tired of waiting. Can anyone recommend another company for me to buy a short torque arm and relocation bracket to fit the TSP y-pipe?
Old 04-19-2010, 02:06 PM
Launching!

I'm having my TSP ypipe modified this week to work with my Spohn chassis mount. I'll try to get some pictures when she's all done.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:13 PM
FormerVendor

Hello,

We are doing everything we can to finish the design of the new torque arm.

Please understand we were not aware of TSP design change until customers started reporting the issue to us. We do the best we can to design our products around other companies products... however when they change designs when we have tons of items for there old designs in stock it is tough for us.

In order to redesign this product we have to change the original design, test fitment with other exhaust, test strength, design new fixtures and than put it into production. This takes time as you can see and we are trying to do this help customers with the similar issue.

To be honest (and I am not saying this to keep a sale) I don't think there is any short torque arm out there that will clear the new TSP y-pipe.

The best thing to do is swap out that torque arm for a transmission mounted torque arm and torque arm relocation kit. This way the new set-up will clear. I can do this with no restock fee, but the different set up is about a $100.00 more but it is a different set up and that is why it cost more. I can work you a little better price on the exchange if you are interested.

Sorry for any inconvience,
Ryan
Old 04-20-2010, 02:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bad94sup
I'm having my TSP ypipe modified this week to work with my Spohn chassis mount. I'll try to get some pictures when she's all done.
I am definitely interested in seeing any pictures you're willing to post.

Quick Reply: New TSP Y-Pipe and Tunnel Mount Torque Arm