Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to clean/flush cooling system...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 02:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how to clean/flush cooling system...

so test run today went good...

but my cooling system is dirty as heo...was wondering if theres some kind of over the counter detergent i can use to clean it up...i didnt want to waste money just yet and put coolant in there since it was so dirty...

i've ran the motor 5 min at a time with fresh water coming in the radiator and dirty water coming out of the stem tube...did it bout 6 times and still no clearing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNSiFYpB_ao
Old 06-27-2010, 08:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

It's going to take a long time if you're draining it out of the steam vent hose. I'd take the radiator hoses off and drain it that way. And there is radiator flush you can buy at the auto parts store, but I've never used them, so I cant say how well they work.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

well i really wasn't draining it from the steam line...it was just so i can see when it would clear up...i would give it fresh water from the top...have motor running for 5 min or so...cuz i don't have no meter or fan hooked up yet...so i don't know what the temp is...after running it for 5 min...i would drain the whole thing from the radiator...then repeat...i did it somewhere between 12-15 times before all the crap came out and it was clear again...i couldnt find anything other then prestone cleaner and prestone flush...i bought the cleaner...it said to run it 3-6 hours...but i've been running it in 5 minute increments...need to go get gas...the thing only has bout 2 gallon...only thing i've done b4 this was drain and refill...so i don't know what product was available...i search the web and some used clr...but i did further research and even clr themselves don't recommend running it thru the motor cuz it has acidic content or something...
Old 06-27-2010, 10:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Back flushing a system has always worked well for me. Try one of them Tee system flushing systems (Prestone ?). It has a Tee's that connects into the heater hose and then connects to the garden hose.

Use what every clean you have.. to me that all work about the same..

for the Prestone Cleaner, you have to drive around with it for like that said 3-6 hours or so, the system has to be running at normal engine temp and pressure for it to clean and lossen the gunk in your system. As far as the Acid contents.. just make sure you flush it well after..

I have used the clean on a few daily driver before.. but will back flush it. .and also run it for a few days with Water, the back flush it a few time.. before adding Anti-freeze/coolant.

And you really want to flush out the Dex-Cool really well. If using old / normal Anti-freeze/coolant. remember, they don't mix with Dex-Cool.. !
Old 06-27-2010, 10:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bczee
Back flushing a system has always worked well for me. Try one of them Tee system flushing systems (Prestone ?). It has a Tee's that connects into the heater hose and then connects to the garden hose.

Use what every clean you have.. to me that all work about the same..

for the Prestone Cleaner, you have to drive around with it for like that said 3-6 hours or so, the system has to be running at normal engine temp and pressure for it to clean and lossen the gunk in your system. As far as the Acid contents.. just make sure you flush it well after..

I have used the clean on a few daily driver before.. but will back flush it. .and also run it for a few days with Water, the back flush it a few time.. before adding Anti-freeze/coolant.

And you really want to flush out the Dex-Cool really well. If using old / normal Anti-freeze/coolant. remember, they don't mix with Dex-Cool.. !

dammit...altho my car now drives...overall the car is not in driving form...so i'll do best i can...but it just feels better now that i ran water thru it and no more dookie brown color water is coming out...i'll let the cleaner sit for the rest of the week...start the motor for maybe 3 five minute sessions...
Old 06-28-2010, 09:21 AM
On The Tree

What is the best way to flush the block? I don't want to pump the old stuff through my new radiator and heater core???
Old 06-28-2010, 09:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Once you get done with the flush and refill with the final fluid, I would go ahead and put a slug of stop leak into the system. I bought a brand new crate motor from GM and was suprised to find a slug of stop leak in one of the water passages when I pulled off the water pump. If GM puts it in brand new motors then seems like a good idea to do the same with a freshly flushed one.

Also i wouldn't worry too much about scrubbing the inside. Just get the water clean, then make sure you get some form of antifreeze in right away. Aluminum doesn't like straight water, and the antifreeze helps lubricate the water pump bushings.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yellowbrother
so test run today went good...

but my cooling system is dirty as heo...
hahaha play on the word?

Quick Reply: how to clean/flush cooling system...